**update** Return Of Sailor Limited Edition Inks

Randwulfr

In other words the line that is/was on the market now. Interesting. Three I know and love...so I'm now expected to investigate the newer inks coming out for possible replacements? Sigh! :closedeyes: Fortunately I've seen the comparisons of the LEs or what-were-extinct-but-aren't-now, with the mainstream or were-but-will-be-extinct (or will they?) inks; yet, I wonder, why does Sailor bother? Ah yes, the pricing game.... :wallbash:

because they think their inks are now over lapping when they decided that the 4 seasonal inks will be a mainstay? some look close and similar but are not the same I suppose.

This is however just my hunch so take it with a grain of salt but if they do reintroduce the old 4 seasonal colors its good with me

But I think Sailor is on this year's ink recycle spree something for a change discontinue the over lapping colors and bring in the old ones 5 years or so do it again

Edited by Algester

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• attika89

• Fabienne

• randomthinks

Confirmation from Sailor the new inks will be here this Friday. No news on whether or not the others are being discontinued, but we are looking into it and as soon as we hear anything will let everyone know.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Confirmation from Sailor the new inks will be here this Friday. No news on whether or not the others are being discontinued, but we are looking into it and as soon as we hear anything will let everyone know.

If one is trying to be on top of ordering as quickly as possible what time of day on Friday will the inks be available?

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I just picked up two bottles today at The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, CA. Doyou and Miruai. Rikyu- cha would be a dream return.

Best,

Mars

"fortibus es in ero"

If one is trying to be on top of ordering as quickly as possible what time of day on Friday will the inks be available?

We typically get shipments around noon central time. Back in stock notifications are available on the website and will be sent out immediately once they are received at the store. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

because they think their inks are now over lapping when they decided that the 4 seasonal inks will be a mainstay? some look close and similar but are not the same I suppose.

This is however just my hunch so take it with a grain of salt but if they do reintroduce the old 4 seasonal colors its good with me

But I think Sailor is on this year's ink recycle spree something for a change discontinue the over lapping colors and bring in the old ones 5 years or so do it again

Could be, could be...I agree what Sailor brought out as their "main stay" ink colors, which I'll repeat really weren't (how many years, really?), were close but not exact to the seasonal LEs; so, I follow that line of reasoning.

What I can't understand is the jerking out, pounding in, behavior of ink manufacturers. OK, ISO standards change, shipping requirements change, sources disappear, the item doesn't move, I get that. But this behavior just ain't right. And now I ask myself why I bother to gain interest when I'll be essentially punished as a faithful consumer. Why pull up production on a successful color, replace it with something "not quite the same but very similar", get (again) consumer following, and then rip it off the market to resurrect what was purposefully killed off? I feel betrayed. I'm definitely rethinking my buying patterns when it comes to ink. The idea of feeling forced into stashing bottles of ink for future decades is asinine to me just as hording paper is unappealing. Yet I'm doing both and now I think I'm insane. I guess today's consumer is schizophrenic with his purchasing habits.

And if these inks brothers/sisters are/were so dang close then......why bother? right I keep forgetting the price change...

Could be, could be...I agree what Sailor brought out as their "main stay" ink colors, which I'll repeat really weren't (how many years, really?), were close but not exact to the seasonal LEs; so, I follow that line of reasoning.

What I can't understand is the jerking out, pounding in, behavior of ink manufacturers. OK, ISO standards change, shipping requirements change, sources disappear, the item doesn't move, I get that. But this behavior just ain't right. And now I ask myself why I bother to gain interest when I'll be essentially punished as a faithful consumer. Why pull up production on a successful color, replace it with something "not quite the same but very similar", get (again) consumer following, and then rip it off the market to resurrect what was purposefully killed off? I feel betrayed. I'm definitely rethinking my buying patterns when it comes to ink. The idea of feeling forced into stashing bottles of ink for future decades is asinine to me just as hording paper is unappealing. Yet I'm doing both and now I think I'm insane. I guess today's consumer is schizophrenic with his purchasing habits.

And if these inks brothers/sisters are/were so dang close then......why bother? right I keep forgetting the price change...

huh the 4 season inks are still the same as the old mainstay inks price wise but yeah... some people did like the LE inks though... I dunno all I know I'm looking at the Athena inks but then I realize I can't get them yet :<

It could well be the fickleness of FPN members that drives it. Sailor has gotten a lot more discussion and probably sold a lot more ink in the last couple of months because of this whole add ink, take away ink business than the sold all last year.

My understanding is that the majority of people thought MB Racing Green was an ugly, unusable color until it was withdrawn. Now we see lots of discussions everytime a new green ink comes out. Epinard has gotten mention as a similar but not the same ink, but in comparison to Racing Green. Maybe Sailor's goal is to get people buying their new inks, comparing them to the old inks and then going on a buying frenzy when they're reintroduced.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I saw this kind of thing in the absinthe world back before it was legal here in the US. People would order from EU. A certain producer would release a different absinthe every 3 or 4 months. So people on the absinthe forums would go on a frenzy to buy them even before knowing exactly what it was. They were good products, but there was no reason for the frenzy over them. The consumer was just being manipulated by the producer.

My guess is Sailor isn't doing this, but probably saw sales of the LE inks as good or better than the existing lineup and decided to bring them back. I'll get a few of these inks and some others, but I just don't go through enough ink to justify getting them if they just sit on a shelf.

The inks are now listed. I just purchased 2-Yama-dori and 1-Oku-yama. Can't wait to see these fabled inks in person!

We typically get shipments around noon central time. Back in stock notifications are available on the website and will be sent out immediately once they are received at the store. :)

My 2 bottles of Yama-dori are ordered! Now I just need to empty a pen or two before it arrives here. :)

Edited by Wheatflower

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

My bottle of Yama-dori is on the way. Woot! I am expecting a few new nibs, and am going to try it with either a medium or broad nib, I have a pen all clean and ready for it when it arrives next week.

Edited by Vgimlet

my bottle sailor shigure ordered and on the way!

sky high will surely return next or later year

IMO souten very close color

Well, I'm seriously annoyed with Sailor. :angry: I love Grenade and Ron from Pen Chalet confirmed they are discontinuing the current line. http://www.penchalet.com/blog/sailor-jentle-ink-is-being-discontinued/

I hate having to hoard ink but I did just that and put an order in at penchalet.com where they just received new stock. At least I have a couple of bottles of Grenade to hold me over and it isn't a repeat of the whole Hitchcock disaster where it was sold out before I could even get to the store to buy a bottle. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jenks

I feel like some of the inks being discontinued are similar to the new ones being released. I want to buy a bottle of Sailor Jentle ink though. Which one is most worth it to buy, or in your opinion, there is really no other ink like it?

from the new inks there are Yama-dori and Tokiwa-Matsu - its only when you use flex does the ink shine in it's potential, Sou-ten is also nice if you like blues

also most of the inks that I stated are a tad bit saturated that they can stain your pen

as for the inks we just found out that in our part of the world the new inks are also a limited thing... and the other inks are already discontinued... this is why Philippines can never have good stuff huh... sigh...

Edited by Algester

does anyone have a rakuten source for the seasonal sailor inks (I'm thinking of yama dori and shigure) ? My search skills appear to be failing me...

does anyone have a rakuten source for the seasonal sailor inks (I'm thinking of yama dori and shigure) ? My search skills appear to be failing me...

Are you in the USA? They are being sold here now.