Journal With Good Quality, Thick Paper (90G+)

schen

I've been looking for the perfect journal for years and still have not come close. I was hoping you all could help me out. I used to use a Moleskine Sketchbook as my preferred journal, just because it could handle a variety of media. I like to travel and stick all my ticket-stubs and postcards in there and thanks to the thickness of the pages, it never caused bumps my writing. However, with only 100 pages, it was getting to be kind of a waste.

I am looking for something lined with good paper quality of heavier weight. Preferably, the journal is bound nicely but that's not a huge priority. I really like the feel of Clairefontaine Triomphe paper. I would bind my own notebook with the Clairefontaine paper but the lines make it so I can't fold and then sew them together.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lourdesgirl101

• Pentulant

• erpe

• Uncial

Maybe have a look at Oxford Optik paper. It's 90 grams, very smooth and so far, even my supersoaker (Parker Frontier BB with Conway Stewart Kingsand) shows no bleedthrough or feathering.

http://my-oxford.co.uk/home

Edited by erpe

Brush Dance Dreamer Journals are 120 gsm. The books measure 5x7, have 136 lined pages, and feature wire-o binding, a stay-clean cover, and an elastic band.

They are terrific - the size may be a little small - and some people aren't in love with wire-o binding.

Disclaimer: Brush Dance is my company, but the Journals are still pretty terrific ;)

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Stillman and Birn make a variety of art journals in heavy paper. They are worth Googling. I use the Apica premiun unlined books. They have thin paper but it is very good quality.

Picadilly has some journals with 100 gsm - but be careful. Make sure it says High Quality 100 gsm. The Leatherlook and wire-o journals are best.

Red n' Black uses the 90 gsm Oxford Optik paper and comes in both case bound and wirebound. A4, A5 are among the sizes available.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently posted reviews of A5 journals with excellent fountain pen friendly paper. The 2 most recent I have reviewed are by Miro and Whitelines. Both offer superb paper quality.

My tests are done over many weeks in regular use with a range of fountain pen types - from regular medium flow SS nib pens (eg Kaweco Student and Dia2 as well as Lamy CP1 and Faber-Castell models) to extra heavy flow 18kt broad gold nibs (eg OMAS Paragon and Pelikan 1000M 3Broad).

Its possible that the Miro notebooks are only offered in B formats, while Whitelines offers standard A5. I also strongly suggest the Leuchtturm A5 journals - terrific paper and great design. Whitelines seem to be the most economic - but your geographic market can have a big impact on pricing.

Here are the links to my reviews:

http://www.fountainpenbiz.com/blog/miro-notebooks-sustainable-fountain-pen-friendly

http://www.fountainpenbiz.com/blog/white-lines-on-grey-paper-whitelines-notebooks

I hope they are useful to you.

Cheers.

Edited by Simon Pen-Pusher

Simon

The best pen you own is the pen in your hand now.

http://www.fountainpenbiz.com

I really like the feel of Clairefontaine Triomphe paper. I would bind my own notebook with the Clairefontaine paper but the lines make it so I can't fold and then sew them together.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

What about a Clairefontaine clothbound or hardbound notebook?

--Carmen

Recently, ( One month ago), I purchased a leather journal from Barnes & Noble. Made by Fiorentina in Italy. Hard-bound, pebble-grained leather, sort-of basic. The paper is off-white, with thin grey lines, spaced 8 mm apart. The paper seems to be your bare-minimum 90gsm weight, sized 9" x 7", with a decorative fluer-de-lis on each page. This paper is not as white, nor as smooth as C/F or Rhodia "R", but after one month it has performed flawlessly for me.

I use 3 different stub nibs (all med.-wet), with Diamine Midnight, Lamy Bl/Bk and Diamine Bilberry, in mine. You CAN see the writing on the other side, but in no way, does it interfere with writing, or reading on the page. My primary reason for purchase was the 400-page capacity (page a day, minimum). But, it's performed beyond what I anticipated what I'd get.

Here's a link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-thick-black-bonded-italian-leather-journal/16329525?ean=9781402879579 I would suggest you examine it instore, before you order online, just to be sure. Price when I bought mine, was $27.

Good Luck,

J.R.

I've seen Daler Rowney journals with very heavy paper, about 110gsm at my local stores. The prices are reasonable, around $10.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I use American Graphic hardbound journals. They come in a variety of sizes as well as in soft cover (both leather)

They are by far my favorite journal; the paper is smooth and thick. Depending on the wetness of the nib, sometimes I do have to let the ink fully dry before flipping the page over.

I could not find the exact paper weight, but it is on the heavy side.

One caveat, these things are not cheap. The range from $40 to $150 depending on the size.

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-MLLTS

I've always had a great experience with Paperblanks, their journals are beautiful and the paper is great and very pretty but they're mostly a US/EU company so I'm not sure if you'd find them easily in Taiwan.