Xezo Maestro Review

IAmTheMusic

Hello all!

After some lengthy mishaps with lost purchases online, I finally found this pen and ordered locally and I'm delighted to do a review of it. The pen under the spotlight is called the "Xezo Maestro" Limited Edition. When I was looking to purchase a new pen, I was looking for anything musical. Since I go to school for Orchestral Conducting, I thought this would be delightful. My only apprehension is that I have had no previous experience with the Xezo brand before. I will base everything from a 0-10 scale (10 being the best). Here we go!

Appearance-Absolutely gorgeous. You'll notice the mother of pearl immediately; It is clearly high quality with gorgeous choices of MOP made for the pen body. The contrast of greens, blues, purples and black make it an adventure every time you look at the pen. The bottom of the cap has "Limited Edition" with the Xezo logo inscribed on it. The top has the production number this pen is (only 470 are made). The nib is a standard German Iridium-much wider and flatter than my other pens. The case it came in is a faux-alligator skin box which opens in the middle rather than one side. Very unique.

Appearance: 10/10

Dimensions-

Diameter-15 mm

Posted Length-168 mm

Capped Length-136 mm

Weight-47 grams/1.66 ounces

Performance-This thing is heavy. Heavier than any other pen I have. I love weight, but I will scrutinize the issue of balance. When the top is screwed onto the end of the pen for writing you must be careful not to let the cap-end fall from your hand. It's very off. On top of that, you must write quickly as this big guy delivers ink very quickly. When my pen rotation is nearing the Xezo, I know I must begin to get used to having to write faster with a different balance. It can almost be a chore-but for now just a quirky challenge. I think the issue of balance is the grip, which should be made of metal. The end of the pen, grip, and inside of the cap are all plastic which I am including in the performance aspect as this does affect balance. I love pens with screw-on caps, but plastic worries me due to durability. So far, no issues. The writing is wonderful once you're used to speed. The lines are medium fine and there is consistent ink delivery onto the page. I'd post some writing of it, but I just cleaned it out the other day not realizing I'd be doing a review. It'll be several months before my rotation is back to the Xezo.

Performance-7/10

Cost/Value-The pen was roughly $160, and with the craftsmanship, leather case it comes with, cleaning cloth, signed/dated/certified international guarantee card with a 3 year warranty I am VERY pleased.

Cost/Value-10/10

Maintenance-Quick and fairly easy clean, with a standard piston converter. The converter is not entirely sealed, and there is just a wee bit of water above the converter, which should be air-tight.

Maintenance-8/10

Overall-8.5/10. I would absolutely recommend picking one up if you're interested in novelty work. I would not use this pen daily (I have other pens on rotation for that), but I am genuinely satisfied. Hopefully this review was helpful, and not too long. This is my first review, so if I missed something feel free to ask questions!

Pictures Below!

post-110544-0-01074300-1394397004_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-38387600-1394397044_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-98039800-1394397054_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-88902300-1394397060_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-90020500-1394397066_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-54725600-1394397095_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IAmTheMusic

• Ghost Plane

• Gloucesterman

• da vinci

Contact them about the converter. I'll bet then send you a new one.

Probably about 6-8 years ago I bought a Xezo. As I recall, the nib fell out (the actual gold colored nib) I contacted them about it and two days later I had a new section along with their apology. I still have the pen and use it very occasionally as it's a medium and I much prefer a fine/extra fine nib.

BTW, the nib was super smooth. I still use the drop out nib in a dip pen holder when I want to test inks.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The nib just...fell out...? I would be so torn up about that. How has your pen been all these years? I hope they can hold up...as I said, I was worried not being familiar to this pen.

I had one for ages as I loved the size & weight, but the M nib was a nail. A wet, floaty nail, but a nail. Very dependable but I sold it along since I prefer B nibs. If you like pretty, heavy pens, these are awesome. The MOP really holds up if you don't abuse them.

Very good to hear. I do enjoy taking care of my pens. Cleaning them can be a bit relaxing at times. I prefer either my custom, or my Cross for everyday usage. This just sits and looks good :) Thanks for the info!

The nib just...fell out...? I would be so torn up about that. How has your pen been all these years? I hope they can hold up...as I said, I was worried not being familiar to this pen.

I still have it and, on occasion, still use it. Nice and smooth although, as previously mentioned, it's a nail. BUT, a smooth nail! :-)))

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these pens recently. It was very heavy. The heaviest thing I own. For whatever reason, the pen cap felt almost as heavy as the rest of the pen, so when the pen was posted it was really back-weighted. But even without posting, it felt heavy and uncomfortable. But, the problem was that the nib I got was a fat medium. I have tiny handwriting so that didn't work well for me. When I asked the company if the nib was always this thick or whether it's generally thinner and mine is a fluke, they immediately sent me another one without charging me for it. I think I got it overnight or within two days. They just asked me to return the first one. The second pen was indeed slightly thinner, maybe closer to a standard European medium (still thicker than a medium Pilot Metropolitan), but it was also scratchier. That was surprising because the first pen was very smooth. The other one just wasn't. I ended up sending both back. Pretty pens, but impractical for my style.

• 4 weeks later...

I am another happy Xezo owner. I have both the shell finish, as well as the silver abalone finish, and I also got a Xezo "Freelancer in Dark Burgundy Finish." All have been nice and consistent pens for me. Here is a sample of writing with the Maestro (green-blue shell finish) with the same type nib that IAmTheMusic shows:

Your Xezo pen is made in Taiwan and sports a Chinese nib. They are good writers, although very heavy (I have a couple of them). Not very durable, typical of Taiwanese pens of a decade ago.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Aw, I was told it was a Swiss company. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll be gentle with it. For the other gent, yes the pen is outrageously heavy...but writes well as you can see. Thanks for the posts guys!

• 1 year later...