My First Conway Stewart Pen - A Churchill

abritdownunder

I've just received a lovely Conway Stewart Churchill pen. The pen is gorgeous and the packaging is... well, really it's just... actually, you make up your own mind.

It came in a brown cardboard box with lots of bubble wrap but I didn't think pictures of that would be too interesting. Here's the box that was inside the box:

post-110005-0-28681900-1394159797.jpg

Opening this box up, you get to... another box:

post-110005-0-97434300-1394159804.jpg

This box is a kind of fake leather with gold lettering and gold coloured hinges and clips, it's very nice:

post-110005-0-74580600-1394159818.jpg

Lifting the lid of this box you see the luxurious contents:

post-110005-0-51540700-1394159829.jpg

Taking out the little Conway Stewart booklet you see... another Conway Stewart booklet, although it's not a booklet, it's a cleaning cloth, very useful:

post-110005-0-83793100-1394159841.jpg

The pen on it's own is simply gorgeous, even capped it's spectacular:

post-110005-0-54493700-1394159855.jpg

Uncapped, well, it's simply fantastic:

post-110005-0-65610400-1394159866.jpg

Regards,

Kevin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abritdownunder

• Ghost Plane

• alexander_k

• dms525

Welcome to my addiction. I'd be happy to give up the presentation craziness for a discount so I could buy more pens.

Welcome to my addiction. I'd be happy to give up the presentation craziness for a discount so I could buy more pens.

Me too! Less packaging would mean more pens for me and be better for the planet, although this case is exquisite.

Regards,

Kevin

A very handsome pen, indeed! Congratulations, Kevin.

David

Great pen, Kevin. I'm delighted with mine, so I trust you'll love yours. The only disadvantage (I forgive them the packaging) is that the capacity of the sac is rather limited for a broad nib.

Edited by alexander_k

Unless the packaging has changed, the "kind of fake leather" box is, I believe real leather. The smaller boxes I have (both the Diamond LE case and the rectangular regular box) are black leather. The Churchills used to come in a green leather box.

On my screen your box appears to be black? The pen appears to be Bracket brown?

Beautiful pen indeed. I received a Marlborough Vintage Blue Ripple yesterday and hope to get a Churchill this year. But I disagree about the presentation. I love the pens but my wife likes the boxes, which makes a really nice presentation imperative for my piece of mind.

Gistar

Unless the packaging has changed, the "kind of fake leather" box is, I believe real leather. The smaller boxes I have (both the Diamond LE case and the rectangular regular box) are black leather. The Churchills used to come in a green leather box.

On my screen your box appears to be black? The pen appears to be Bracket brown?

I assumed it was fake leather but I could be wrong, I often am! Yes, the box is black but the pen is Rioja

Beautiful pen indeed. I received a Marlborough Vintage Blue Ripple yesterday and hope to get a Churchill this year. But I disagree about the presentation. I love the pens but my wife likes the boxes, which makes a really nice presentation imperative for my piece of mind.

The Marlborough is a great looking pen, hope you're enjoying it as much as I am my Churchill. I hope to get either a Marlborough or Belliver later this year.

Regards,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning looking pen, truly amazing.

Just got myself a Winston this week and am still in awe over the craftsmanship. How do you find the weight of the Churchill, the balance etc? I have heard it is a light pen. I feel I may be breaking into the piggy bank a little sooner after looking at yours.

Dave.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• 2 weeks later...

Stunning looking pen, truly amazing.

Just got myself a Winston this week and am still in awe over the craftsmanship. How do you find the weight of the Churchill, the balance etc? I have heard it is a light pen. I feel I may be breaking into the piggy bank a little sooner after looking at yours.

Dave.

The Winston is also a beautiful looking pen. Yes, the Churchill is light for it's size, which I was concerned about, but it is really well balanced. I don't like to post my pens and the Churchill fits fantastically in my fat hand. I am thinking about investing in another CS pen, maybe a Marlborough or Belliver. I'll have to see how much is in the piggy bank.

Nice, I've been considering getting a CS myself.

I'd fully recommend CS pens, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Regards,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Jezus...

Jolly Good :)

Jealous :D

Enjoy that beauty, have fun Kevin :excl:

Regards,

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• 1 month later...

Pictures of the blue Marlborough?

Here's mine:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p486/purkaeus/DSC02579_zps0bb15349.jpg

The ripples are only obvious when the light catches them, which I rather like. In gloomy conditions (below) it can look black but for a hint of something extra, for a subtle but interesting effect.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p486/purkaeus/DSC02574_zps745e6d60.jpg

I didn't know the Marlborough also came with the Winston / Churchill case, book and cigar, which made for a pleasant surprise. If I take up smoking again, I'll hold CS responsible! :P

The Marlborough is very light and on the small side. To be honest I prefer something with a bit more meat, as in the Winston or Churchill, but your hand certainly won't get tired holding this thing. The Italic fine nib is very smooth and "cursive".

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p486/purkaeus/DSC02577_zpsd821441d.jpg

This is British understatement in a pen, relatively speaking.

The blue ripple ebonite is much less in your face than some other Conway Stewart patterns; ideal for when you do not want to attract the attention of the entire world to your writing implement.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p486/purkaeus/DSC02578_zpsade7fe04.jpg

Edited by n1019

That is GORGEOUS. Hmm. I prefer larger pens. Might be time for a Churchill in this.