Duofold Compatibility: Fountain Pen And Rollerball

ccvinylman

I would very much appreciate knowing if the barrel of my Parker Duofold Rollerball is compatible with the section of a Parker Duofold Fountain Pen. I'd like to save some money, if I could, by using the barrel of my rollerball as the host for the section of a fountain pen.

Also, is the telltale sign of the difference between the Centennial Duofold and the International Duofold the decal on the top of the cap? You know, a banner with the word Duofold inside the banner, or a circle with a "daisy" inside the circle and the words "Parker" and "Duofold" outside the daisy.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should Google a few relevant words and maybe the internet will provide me with some answers. Until I do, however, I'd appreciate some answers from you Parker fans (fanatics?). Thank you in advance! Don, ccvinylman

Edited by ccvinylman

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ccvinylman

• richardandtracy

• icardoth

• chunya

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use the RB barrel with a FP section, but previously you must remove a small plastic piece inserted inside the barrel, at the very end. This piece is intended to keep the RB refill in place, but with it you cannot use normal Parker cartridges nor converters. A small screwdriver or similar tool would help.

The button in top of cap depends on the Duofold line, not on the size. Earlier Duofold didn't have any, and later the button design matches the nib decoration.

Icardoth is right: if you do not remove that piece, you can use only short Parker cartridges in your pen, but not large cartridges or a converter.

So, if you intend to use the pen only as fountain, remove it; if you want to use it also as roller from time to time, keep that piece and use short Parker cartridges.

Thanks, icardoth, calamus plasticus, and richardandtracy.

I may just leave that little plastic piece at the end of the barrel alone, as I'd enjoy having the use of the pen as sometimes a fountain pen, sometimes a rollerball.

Your comment, Richard, about an "expensive mistake" has me a little worried. I take it you mean if I buy a section for a centennial and turn out to have an international, I'll be scr_ _ ed! Maybe I need to find out the exact dimensions of both pens (the Centennial is marginally larger than the International, as you've said) and go from there.

For some reason, the pearl and black FPs are pretty steeply priced on eBay and elsewhere. In a way, I'd normally opt for something more colorful, but since I already have the pearl and black, I may as well stick with it.

Again, y'all have been a big help. Thanks. Don

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

The rollerball - which you have - is the size of an International, so make sure you get an International Section is what I mean. If it doesn't specify on the sale - ask!! International sections are cheaper anyway.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi, Chunya:

Thanks for the hyperlink. You are right, the Duofold Rollerball I have is an International. I actually called John Mottishaw this AM, and he told me the International measures 5.18 inches long, capped, which works out to be about 5 and 3/16 inches, whereas the Centennial measures 5.4 inches, capped, which works out to be about 5 and 3/8 inches. The price he quoted me for an International section (XF - B) is $149.00, whereas the Centennial section (XF - B) is $239.00 (with the super broad nibs go for over $300).

Thanks again for your interest.

Don

Hi, Richard:

As you can tell from my last post to Chunya, John Mottishaw stocks the International sections, and he charges $149.00. When I scrape together the money, I'll order from him.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Don