Ancora Pens From Italy

brinda55

Hello forum members.

It has been sometime for me as I have not purchased any new pens as yet. However, I have been dwelling on Ancora pens for a little while. I have been on their website, mostly Russian but I think these pens are still made in Italy. I am interested in their latest Titanic and the Handle models. I have found very little in terms of reviews, quality, after care and also retailers stocking these in the UK.

Any direction would be grateful.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• europen

• abstract49

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Ancoras. Being in the U.S., I tend to buy through Bryant at Chatterley Luxuries, so I can't help with the UK part.

The long tines on the nibs have a very unique feel - deliciously soft. But if you're a heavy-handed writer, be aware they also go out of alignment easier than any other nib I know because of those deliciously soft nibs. The design with the threads down on the section close to the nib has a tendency to pick up ink on refill, so people bothered by such things may find it annoying.

All mine are c/c fillers. The stubs are beyond awesome and love the B nibs. No experience with anything narrower.

The colors, finish and trim are simply beautiful.

Have one I bought about 8 years ago at a show. It was a great writer even as a fine. I asked Richard Binder (no affiliation) to make it an extra fine and it's even better.

Excellent pen overall.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Thanks all. Most helpful, must say I am even more excited to place an order. I will also try the website as suggested.

Would love to own one as I feel it looks awesome and writes beautifully well especially when the nib is made in house.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm posting a few photos of my Ancora (please place accent on the first syllable.) It dates from about 2000. The material is transparent red resin. The trim is 18k (rings and clip) and of course the nib, which is the most majestic element of all Ancora pens, as far as I'm concerned, is also 18k.

this model features their unusual spring-loading button fill system. In one photo I've highlighted it. You can see the spring mechanism in the second pic at the lower end.

Note the large (15 cm) size but very comfortable writing weight (40 gr) of the pen. It is a wet and glossy writer and rather fussy; like so many Italian pens, a prima donna. But the result is never less than calligraphic art.

The reservoir holds about 1,2 ml ink. The pen is presently inked with Edlestein Sapphire.

Along with my Montegrappa Extra it remains my favourite writer, although I never take it out of the house.

A spectacular object.

post-109472-0-11644600-1396307501_thumb.jpg

post-109472-0-11512800-1396307532_thumb.jpg

post-109472-0-52469200-1396307584_thumb.jpg

post-109472-0-67146700-1396307467_thumb.jpg

post-109472-0-02050700-1396307622_thumb.jpg

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

I'm posting a few photos of my Ancora (please place accent on the first syllable.) It dates from about 2000. The material is transparent red resin. The trim is 18k (rings and clip) and of course the nib, which is the most majestic element of all Ancora pens, as far as I'm concerned, is also 18k.

this model features their unusual spring-loading button fill system. In one photo I've highlighted it. You can see the spring mechanism in the second pic at the lower end.

Note the large (15 cm) size but very comfortable writing weight (40 gr) of the pen. It is a wet and glossy writer and rather fussy; like so many Italian pens, a prima donna. But the result is never less than calligraphic art.

Europen very nice pen congratulations...

Only for informational purpose...Ancora Demonstrator Pens...

Cielo..{Blue} 1998..Fuoco {Red} 1999..and Acqua {Green} 2000...

They had pump fillers and all trim{ Clip and Bands} Vermeil...

The nibs in my experience were soft with nice line variation...

Europen..nice photos and welcome aboard!

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, my Ancora is the 'Fire'. My dealer had the blue 'Sky' but I had my heart set on the red.

I've attached a Brief Writing Sample of the Ancora Fire.

post-109472-0-96127400-1396987900_thumb.jpg

This discussion has made me want to get out my two Ancora Perlas and try them again after a couple or more years' non-use. They seemed too fussy to me when I tried them off and on for some months after acquisition. Perhaps, it was the ink; they wouldn't be the only Italians that don't like one ink or another, eh?

Here's a question I've been pondering: They have converters and accept cartridges (international standard?), but they also have O-rings in strategic places, and I believe they could be used as eye-droppers (or in my case, syringe fillers). Has anyone tried this? With any good or ill results?

I shall appreciate any observations; I am awaiting several new inks, and I think one of the Perlas would be the right pen to experiment with.

I have vague memories of complaints in years past that attempts stained & darkened the pens in an unpleasant manner.

I have vague memories of complaints in years past that attempts stained & darkened the pens in an unpleasant manner.

Seems likely, sad to say. I shan't chance it. Filled one (converter) with Organ Studios Arsenic, and it seems to be behaving nicely so far. But, it looks as though I might have had some residual blue in the feed; it just seems different than it (ink) did from a dip pen. Might have to clean again, try again.

Non-saturated Herbin inks, Waterman & some if the Iroshizuku behave well in mine. Avoid the higher saturation inks like Private Reserve or Noodler's if you don't like staining in the threads. Our ink mods may know more about Organics. I haven't used it yet.

• 3 months later...

Thanks, Ghost Plane. I'm especially proud of my alternative to "The quick brown fox" -- I waste much time devising such 'pen-testing' sentences....

Time well-wasted when it leaves such a good example of performance for people considering these pens in future.

The stub nibs on Ancoras have to be one of the best-kept secrets out there and the B nibs are lovely as well. :wub:

Europen, I like the "Brazen vixen" very much!

Glad to see the thread revived.

I did try using my red Perla as an eyedropper for a short time (as in two or three days only), with Diamine Ancient Copper. It worked well enough, but did leak a bit into the cap when left in the wrong position (careless of me). Fearing the staining Ghost Plane warned of, I cleaned it out as soon as my curiosity was satisfied.

Now, if I can just find a new converter to replace the lost one. I've tried everything I had in stock, plus a couple more styles I ordered, all supposedly "international." Seems that the only satisfactory solution will be an Ancora, so I just need to find someone who sells them. Chatterly?

fpn_1405626048__ffuts.jpg

Fred

....and that this day will make you either free men and allies

of Sparta, or slaves of Athens; then on your part, seeing the

greatness of the issues at stake, and I will show you that what

I preach to others I can practice myself....

~ Brasidas ~

• 5 years later...