My Gama Padpad Aka Raja

hari317

" You and Anup jee have been a real fount of knowledge, and a great help in building my growing collection of Indian. Thanks again for your advice."

I could not agree more. I also received a Hawk and a Raja. I am using them both daily. I hope your pens arrive quickly notimetoulouse. I know you will like them.

I agree - I also bought the supreme and the kuyil based on Hari's reviews. Do hope his efforts to convince ASA and Gem on alternate filling systems comes off!

best,

sri

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Scribblesoften

• Finalist

• a_m

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My next pen purchase will be a Gama Hawk; I just can't resist. I have a Guilder Large Ebonite that is unbeliveably comfortable to write with, and I must have more Indian ebonite pens.

Yet another Sarah.

My next pen purchase will be a Gama Hawk; I just can't resist. I have a Guilder Large Ebonite that is unbeliveably comfortable to write with, and I must have more Indian ebonite pens.

wonderful.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

As an update to the nib insertion depth issue. I have now received a number of Gama Padpads and the nibs in all of those are set to the correct depth. My first pen might have been an anomaly.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

The Padpad with a JoWo nib unit, C/C filling capability, also can be dropper filled with ink directly in barrel.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaRajaJoWo/IMG_9778.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaRajaJoWo/IMG_9782.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaRajaJoWo/IMG_9785.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/hari-317/GamaRajaJoWo/IMG_9779.jpg

Best

Hari

Hi Hari,

That is an interesting development. I have both the supreme and the kuyil after seeing your reviews. looking to get the pad pad as well. Where did you get the JoWo nib unit (along with the feed) and the converter from. I am looking to do the same on my Gamas..

I suspect that Hari has made a new section that accepts the Jowo parts and is threaded to fit the Gama body. Hari is very creative and capable.

Quite possible that Hari has done that. He did some pretty innovative stuff by creating threads on the section to accept a Pelikan M800 Nib unit

Hi Hari, That is an interesting development. I have both the supreme and the kuyil after seeing your reviews. looking to get the pad pad as well. Where did you get the JoWo nib unit (along with the feed) and the converter from. I am looking to do the same on my Gamas..

Hi Sridhar, you can buy JoWo nib units from ebay:

Link

I use the K2 converters made by Schmidt, also available from ebay:

link

all the best in your nib experiments, it is fun.

I suspect that Hari has made a new section that accepts the Jowo parts and is threaded to fit the Gama body. Hari is very creative and capable.

Thank you, yes your guess is right, the section modification is my handiwork.

Quite possible that Hari has done that. He did some pretty innovative stuff by creating threads on the section to accept a Pelikan M800 Nib unit

I have adapted a Padpad yesterday, the same section is now capable of accepting both M800 as well as JoWo nib units. the JoWo can be used as C/C or ED. M800 only ED. will post pics later in the day.

Edited by hari317

If you have the cheap parker beta FP. Its converter also fits schmidt.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

I have adapted a Padpad yesterday, the same section is now capable of accepting both M800 as well as JoWo nib units. the JoWo can be used as C/C or ED. M800 only ED. will post pics later in the day.

The pics of the 2 in one Raja as promised.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gama800JoWo/IMG_9787.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gama800JoWo/IMG_9788.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gama800JoWo/IMG_9789.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gama800JoWo/IMG_9791.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gama800JoWo/IMG_9790.jpg

Gama pens(also Deccan) are 100% handmade in the traditional laborious way without using mechanical aids that make pen making slightly easier. The section tenon OD and barrel ID are individually fitted by the artisan and then hand threaded without the aid of taps and dies. Same for the caps and barrels.

What this means, in simple words, is that it cannot be guaranteed that the sections, caps, barrels will freely interchange between pens. Hope this answers your question.

Best

Hari

It does and very well, thank you. It explains why you are only selling complete pens too. I guess I need to save my pennies.

I believe efforts are being taken to change the situation, shortly some pens will have a good choice of nibs and filling systems available. Also some sellers like ASApens.in have a stock of aftermarket bock nibs available for retrofit at the the time of sale. HTH.

I really like the Hawk and the Kuyil but I wish the ability to use stock jowo or Bock nibs was easily available with a CC. Hopefully this happens soon because I do want to get the hawk.

I really like the Hawk and the Kuyil but I wish the ability to use stock jowo or Bock nibs was easily available with a CC. Hopefully this happens soon because I do want to get the hawk.

Ok.

If you like Kuyil, i have reviewed it separately here.

I just ordered a Hawk in shiny black with clip as that was the only option. I would have preferred the satin version, but I'm guessing I can make the shiny version satin with some fine grit sand paper. Any advice on making an ebonite satin?

BTW, thanks to Hari for the recommendation. I love the overall design of the Hawk.

OK, I got mine today. I've never had an ebonite brushed finish pen before, and I thought I would like the appearance in person, but I REALLY like it now that it is in hand. I ordered it "tested" and it is a smooth, albeit fine, nib. I like a fine point just fine, but if you only order broad points, my guess you are going to find it too fine pointed. It clearly harkens back to a classic Parker "Big Red" Duofold style with the two rings and the ball clip with washer. The golden colored trim, and polished ends, are a nice contrast to the brushed matt finish as others have already noted. It is a large pen, but not so large that it looks way oversized in your shirt pocket. A real keeper in my opinion, especially considering the price.

I just ordered a Hawk in shiny black with clip as that was the only option. I would have preferred the satin version, but I'm guessing I can make the shiny version satin with some fine grit sand paper. Any advice on making an ebonite satin?

BTW, thanks to Hari for the recommendation. I love the overall design of the Hawk.

excellent!

OK, I got mine today. I've never had an ebonite brushed finish pen before, and I thought I would like the appearance in person, but I REALLY like it now that it is in hand. I ordered it "tested" and it is a smooth, albeit fine, nib. I like a fine point just fine, but if you only order broad points, my guess you are going to find it too fine pointed. It clearly harkens back to a classic Parker "Big Red" Duofold style with the two rings and the ball clip with washer. The golden colored trim, and polished ends, are a nice contrast to the brushed matt finish as others have already noted. It is a large pen, but not so large that it looks way oversized in your shirt pocket. A real keeper in my opinion, especially considering the price.

very true. thanks for sharing your views.