Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Pens With Music Nib

ricardoguegor
Hello

Hope this is the right place for my questions and hope also that you can help me with a doubt that I have.

I am interested in a pen with music nib. specifically on Platinum or Pilot. Which one do you recommend me?

Other question that I have is about Pilot 74 and Pilot 742. Both are nice but besides the size or the pen and nib, do you know if there is a big difference between them? Do you know if it is possible to interchange the nibs? Do you know if there is a place where I can buy only the nibs for this Pilot series, 74 or 742?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance

Ricardo G.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricardoguegor

• shuuemura

• mori45

• zchen

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Pilot 74 and 742, but everyone seems to agree that Platinum makes the best music nib today. My Nakaya with a music nib is a great writer.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/144452-music-nib-comparison/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/118833-japanese-music-nib-shootout/

Depending on what type of music nib you want (springy/flexy or rigid), you have a couple of options. Both Platinum and Pilot offer music nibs, but they tend to be of the rigid variety. If you buy from Nibs.com, John can add flex for you giving you more spring. He's done this on a Nakaya music of mine and it's just what I needed to make the pen a keeper.

In the alternative, you may be able to have John fit a vintage music nib in a modern pen. He put a Welty music nib in my Custom 92 (I wanted a piston filler) and the combination works incredibly well.

Hello
Hope this is the right place for my questions and hope also that you can help me with a doubt that I have.
I am interested in a pen with music nib. specifically on Platinum or Pilot. Which one do you recommend me?
Other question that I have is about Pilot 74 and Pilot 742. Both are nice but besides the size or the pen and nib, do you know if there is a big difference between them? Do you know if it is possible to interchange the nibs? Do you know if there is a place where I can buy only the nibs for this Pilot series, 74 or 742?
Hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance
Ricardo G.

Comparison has been done before, see this link

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/144452-music-nib-comparison/

Platinum offers the best line variation out of box

Custom 74 uses size 5 nibs and 742 use size 10 nibs. The nib and feed are friction fit and can be removed and changed, but I know of no retailers that sell just the nibs.

Depending on what type of music nib you want (springy/flexy or rigid), you have a couple of options. Both Platinum and Pilot offer music nibs, but they tend to be of the rigid variety. If you buy from Nibs.com, John can add flex for you giving you more spring. He's done this on a Nakaya music of mine and it's just what I needed to make the pen a keeper.

In the alternative, you may be able to have John fit a vintage music nib in a modern pen. He put a Welty music nib in my Custom 92 (I wanted a piston filler) and the combination works incredibly well.

did he also tune the pen itself? most pilots are dry so the music nib might need more ink than what the pen can supply. was it expensive?