Uk Royal Mail Price Increases

The Good Captain

For those who like to write to people, I just thought I'd draw attention to the recently-announced price increases from the Royal Mail. The link here will direct you to the new list and the increases come into effect on 31/03/14 - the end of this month.

It's a real blow for a lot of people who will find the extra charges possibly prohibitive. Before anyone comments that the cost of a stamp is minuscule compared to the price of some of our pens - let me remind you: pen costs are something that we have control over because either we buy them or we don't. OUR decision. The Royal Mail increases are out of our control.

Also; this increase will of course, effect the shipping charges too.

I am not happy.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• The Blue Knight

• Colourfingers

• migo984

The 9p increase for zone one letters will be a bit painful. I don't like any of the increases, but that one is very steep. I also dislike the fact that I can not buy in advance to help with that one as they only ever have the amounts written on them. I may boost my UK postage stamps this month though.

Writing and typing with the help of cats

At least I brought a book in friday at the rate I use them I should be fine for a year or 2

It's the small parcel hike that will hit pen sellers the most, at the moment the cost to send a pen via 1st class signed for is about £2 but after the price hike it will cost around £4.30. At this rate it will soon be cheaper to use some of the courier services. This could be a real foot shooting incident for the newly privatised Royal Mail.

Paul

Edited by Paul80

It's the small parcel hike that will hit pen sellers the most, at the moment the cost to send a pen via 1st class signed for is about £2 but after the price hike it will cost around £4.30. At this rate it will soon be cheaper to use some of the courier services. This could be a real foot shooting incident for the newly privatised Royal Mail.

Paul

This is not correct. You are comparing the current Large Letter rate with the new Small Parcel rate.

The LL rate goes up to £2.03 from £1.70 and the Small Parcel rate goes up to £4.30 from £4.10

Edited by Chrissy

I posted in this forum on Friday about this. Here is the link, where I referenced the BBC Money Box article on the price increases

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/261932-royal-mail-price-increases/

Sorry to duplicate.

The Good Captain

Here is a comparison of historical stamp prices with figures adjusted for inflation to today's values (in brackets).

1980 -1st, 12p (44p) - 2nd, 10p (36p)
1990 -1st, 22p (42p) - 2nd, 17p (33p)
2000 -1st, 27p (39p) - 2nd, 19p (27p)
2010 -1st, 41p (45p) - 2nd, 32p (35p)
2014 -1st, 62p (62p) - 2nd, 53p (53p)

I posted this on another forum I'm a member of with members with an interest in postage prices. Thought it might be of interest to some.

Sorry to duplicate.

Don't be daft - no problem :-) :-) It seems you are as annoyed about it as I am. It makes me furious cos it just stops people sending mail, which then makes the problem worse. And so it goes........

Verba volant, scripta manent

Here is a comparison of historical stamp prices with figures adjusted for inflation to today's values (in brackets).

I posted this on another forum I'm a member of with members with an interest in postage prices. Thought it might be of interest to some.

Edited by DavidDecorator

It is my considered business opinion that the more letters and parcels that are sent the more likely Royal Mail will be to lower it's prices.

They have overheads to cover such as running costs, lighting, heating, lease payments, repairs, employees wages, pensions etc.

Due to an ever decreasing number of letters being sent wholly related to the development of other communication mediums they have had to raise their prices to cover their costs in the face of a decline in volume of revenue.

Or to put it more simply. If you want the prices to come down use the service.

For instance I began to to send estimates and invoices etc by email about eight years ago. I will now send hard copy again by post or at the very least follow up with a tangible signed copy in order to do my bit to bring down the prices for those less able to afford stamps.

Just my ha'porth and I hope a valid one.

"David the Decorator says letters are betters".

Edited by DavidDecorator

Equally, if they want people to use the service, prices going up while the quality of service deteriorates is probably not the way to do it. The parcel rates aren't that horrific, but they seem absolutely determined to kill off the ordinary letter. Such a shame.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the heads up.

Cheers, Al

I think the really annoying thing for me is that I have no option but to use the 20g rate outside Europe. This will mean letters less frequently to my 'people' in the US and Far East.

Of course, they might think that's an advantage...

The Good Captain

It is my considered business opinion that the more letters and parcels that are sent the more likely Royal Mail will be to lower it's prices.

They have overheads to cover such as running costs, lighting, heating, lease payments, repairs, employees wages, pensions etc.

Due to an ever decreasing number of letters being sent wholly related to the development of other communication mediums they have had to raise their prices to cover their costs in the face of a decline in volume of revenue.

Or to put it more simply. If you want the prices to come down use the service.

For instance I began to to send estimates and invoices etc by email about eight years ago. I will now send hard copy again by post or at the very least follow up with a tangible signed copy in order to do my bit to bring down the prices for those less able to afford stamps.

Just my ha'porth and I hope a valid one.

"David the Decorator says letters are betters".

But then on the other hand it's rare that I buy a pen from the high street as online store offer pens in more choices at a fraction of the cost.

So in some ways technology has benefited the postal service.

Edited by top pen

One option I forgot to mention is that outside Europe, what was 'Surface Mail' will be replaced by 'International Economy'. This will give a 20g letter a price of 81p. Quite a saving and I expect that the time scale might not be a whole lot different!

I will be trying it out - you have been warned!!!!!

The Good Captain