An Interesting Parker 51

doctor28

Hello all,

I am new on this forum, yet I have something to show you.

Quite recently I got my hands on Parker 51 black with rolled gold cap, packed in the original box. It looks new, not actually restored, but unused. There would be nothing unusual about this particular example, where it not for the Lions Club logo on the clip and a number "1/10" engraved on the edge of tle cap. See pictures I've attached for details.

Now what would I like to know: is there anyone who could be helpful of obtaining traces of this pen's history? Maybe it was made for an auction? Or maybe the other nine were lost? Sounds interesting eitherways and I couldn't find any info online. :)

post-111351-0-89512700-1393771206_thumb.jpg

post-111351-0-99554500-1393771280_thumb.jpg

post-111351-0-97129100-1393771286_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctor28

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doctor28

• Hooker56

• FarmBoy

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You probably know this already, but Lion's Clubs are charitable organisations that work in local communities. Maybe this pen was made as a charitable fund raiser at some point?

The 1/10 indicates the gold content of the cap. Clip embellishments were most likely done by a jeweler. I now closed jeweler near me did many of these when the were a Parker representative. That someone did this with the top pen in the line says it must have been special.

If the price is right, I might be interested, I have several friends very active in the lion's Club.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Doctor28-

As FarmBoy said, most likely enhanced by a jeweler. Probably given like an award for years of service in the Lions Club much like a service 'pin'...only this is a service 'pen.'

Edited by Hooker56

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

I don't know about then or now but Parker has made pens with a space built into the clip for customization. This one is an example. The square into which the logo is soldered is part of the clip, not added on.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1294_zps1eb5c58b.jpg

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I had a P51 flighter pencil that had the Lions International logo on the clip and the following on the barrel [ Ed Hyzer 30 Years membership ] Now when I sold it on ebay last year, when the listing was still active and there was a bid on it I received an email from a man who found the matching P51 with the same information on the barrel. I sold the pencil for $50. told my buyer that the matching FP was up for sale. Told the seller that I told my buyer. The buyer bought both to mate up the set. The seller of the Fp told me that he found the Fp in the trash as he was cleaning up for a client [ Janesville WI ]. He sold the Fp for $100. I bought the pencil for $8 in Janesville WI. I found out last fall that the buyer of the pen set since sold them. I wish that I could see a photo of the pen set reunited.

I don't know about then or now but Parker has made pens with a space built into the clip for customization. This one is an example. The square into which the logo is soldered is part of the clip, not added on.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1294_zps1eb5c58b.jpg

I have seen a number of Parker Sonnets and a few Insignia pens with various company logo pieces attached to the clip in this way. This is also common on Cross pens and pencils, It doesn't seem to deter people from buying them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I had a P51 flighter pencil that had the Lions International logo on the clip and the following on the barrel [ Ed Hyzer 30 Years membership ] Now when I sold it on ebay last year, when the listing was still active and there was a bid on it I received an email from a man who found the matching P51 with the same information on the barrel. I sold the pencil for $50. told my buyer that the matching FP was up for sale. Told the seller that I told my buyer. The buyer bought both to mate up the set. The seller of the Fp told me that he found the Fp in the trash as he was cleaning up for a client [ Janesville WI ]. He sold the Fp for $100. I bought the pencil for $8 in Janesville WI. I found out last fall that the buyer of the pen set since sold them. I wish that I could see a photo of the pen set reunited.

Wow, that an awesome story! It's amazing what the internet and some serendipity can accomplish.

To the OP, the pen appears to be English-made since it is rolled gold with the "CT" rather than "K" marking, which is interesting, but the Lions Club is an international organization.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thanks for all your replies. Due to lack of free time, I will be posting with a little delay, but always taking into consideration what seems importnant. I like the story of two writing instruments reunited. It is almost romantic to see how massive communication works in the ways we are not always aware of. Everything seems possible with networking abilities, such as this forum.

Speaking of interesting writing pieces... Driven by impulse I made some shopping with Polish Allegro.pl, where people usually don't to know, what they own. First example is a Parker Duofold Junior dating 1942 with yellow-stripped barrel bought for $30, including shipping and packing. Now my question is how to clean it up? After almost seventy years with ink inside the barrel, those beatiful stripes become hard to see in normal light. Its made of celluloid and I don't want to spoil it.

Other examples are: a Lady Duofold CA 1930 for $5, a brand-new 88 Rialto for $15 in box, and a beautiful 45 convertible flighter GT (with italics nib) dating back to 1970's for $10, originally boxed, looking new. Well... It seems I've got the talent to spot bargains. :)

The 1/10 indicates the gold content of the cap. Clip embellishments were most likely done by a jeweler. I now closed jeweler near me did many of these when the were a Parker representative. That someone did this with the top pen in the line says it must have been special.

If the price is right, I might be interested, I have several friends very active in the lion's Club.

Just being curious... The right price for you is...?