Notebook Cover And Paper - Help

Cyclin

So I have been reading and browsing looking for a quality leather notebook cover, while at the same time looking for quality paper to use with my FP. I have seen so many pictures, read into so many brands, that I have a general idea of what I want. However, I find myself now completely overwhelmed with the choices, sizes, etc. By now I've seen how to make your own covers as well as the enormous range of planner-styles. So yes, feeling a bit overwhelmed. Rather than just start buying and experimenting with what I've seen, I'd like my first purchase to be done with some input from you paraphernalia buffs.

I use a Medium 14kt Montblanc nib with Diamine Green/Black quite often so lets assume that's what I will be writing with in this notebook. I make lists often, but this paper will mainly be used to write letters to my daughter. She is 2 and I write her a letter every day I can so when she gets older she can laugh at how awesome I was. I am looking for both a leather cover, and paper to fill it.

Cover

I would like to purchase the cover once, and replace the paper as necessary so it must have replaceable paper, to be used often. There must be a spot/pocket to fasten my pen. I'm a laser engraver and will be putting my own intricate designs into the leather if/when I feel like, so plain covers would be preferred. :) So far I have seen some nice-looking stuff, but like I said, overwhelmed. I liked the Midori's, is there something better to look at?

• Leather
  • Replaceable Paper
  • Pen Slot

Paper

I will only be using a FP with this notebook, so it must work well with FPs. Lined paper would be best, but I am open to other types if people have recommendations for letter writing paper. As I mean to pull the letters from the notebook, this means I will need lined paper, that can tear away clean (to be placed in a folder or book/scan). I would prefer the paper to not be hole-punched as well. I have read good thing about Rhodia, but didn't see if it would fit in covers or if it tore away clean.

• Lined Paper
  • FP Capable
  • Tearaway
  • Non Hole-punched

So there ya have it, the method to my new notebook purchase madness. I really would appreciate some input on what pairing of cover and paper would fit my needs. Looking to spend under $100 but its its more... hey, I'm worth it. Just not $200 worth it ;)

Also, thanks for taking the time to read this novel, I know I can run on for a while.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• Cyclin

• SallyLyn

• androids.conundrum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What size of paper are you looking for?

My solution to the problem of fountain pen friendly paper in a notebook/journal was to make my own. Its a good way to get exactly what you want without a ton of compromise and allows for a lot of options.

If you bind your own, sewing or perfect bound (just glue like paperbacks, easier to tear away from) you can get your ideal paper, print lines if you want or use a guide sheet, and then if you ever want a different paper its easy to replace and it will still fit your cover.

Iv'e been looking for custom leather covers recently and two places that seem to get a lot of recommendations are renaissance art and gfeller (no affiliation to either). The custom option means that you can make your own notebook or get a cover for a notebook that doesn't commercially have one.

If you choose to simply buy a ream of paper you can keep the price pretty low and get good quality for far less than a notebook. I like southworth 25% cotton business paper for ivory and staples "sustainable earth" paper for a not super bright white (this stuff is really cheap by the ream and good with ink).

Good luck on your quest :)

Oh and it just occurred to me, maybe cut the pages out of the notebook, you'd get more options and a cleaner line than perforation.

etsy has a lot of choices if you search their site for Leather Handmade Notebook. It usually doesn't like you to put in "cover".

Inkleaf Leather does some, as does davis leatherworks. I've gotten some from zenokleather out of Canada and aspie crafts out of Colo, both on esty. All are Midori like covers $50 or less apiece. You put in pocket size inserts like the Midori. These are the 3 x 5" ones, Field Notes, Clarefontaine, Doane Paper. There's a fellow here on FPN I bought some from through his etsy site, who uses Tamoe River paper. It's very fountain pen friendly. Occassionally Doan Paper will hasve limited edition cover for their Pocket notebooks, at $80.00, Chad fixed me up with a couple of these. I know I buy way to many leather covers. I have multiple notebooks, at work, in my pocket, in car glove box for trip and milage logs and I give a way them for gifts. Let us know what you decide. Usual disclaimers apply, no affiliation with and artisan's mentioned, just a very happy client, Jim

I'd go for a notepad rather than a notebook, as the pages are easily detachable. I like the A5 size as it's a nice portable size but with space enough for letter writing. I'd use a Rhodia R pad. Very FP friendly paper, 90gsm vellum. Not expensive. Here's a link to a UK site but Rhodia is widely available elsewhere .http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/rhodia-r-a5-notepad/p2910

Then you could get a notepad cover / document wallet similar to one of these. There are many other sources for these

http://www.lucrin.co.uk/a5-document-wallet.htm?CAWELAID=475145295&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CI2fm7yL87wCFQ_HtAodpRkAHw

Verba volant, scripta manent

+++ on the make your own cover or have one made in your town or a place like etsy.

I have bought actually the Midori covers and simple FieldNotes covers from Davis Leatherworks and have been well pleased. I just received from BroLeatherWorks http://www.etsy.com/shop/BroLeatherWorks/about?ref=announce a beautiful binder for art, drawing, painting journals. I got a predesigned model the Tina but originally it was a special order from "Tina". The leather is heavy and will last a century or 2. It has pockets for notes or pads and corded spine to slip in notebooks.

Once you decide the size paper you want to use, pockets you might want I'm certain you can find someone to make you a great cover. Also fairly certain you will end up with leather covered journals of various sizes.It's that potato chip thing.

I keep mentioning because it caught my interest, a reply to a recent topic on Pocket Notebooks referencing

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/09/13/the-pocket-notebooks-of-20-famous-men/

Following the various links and comments reminded me that you always want a notebook of some type on your person. One type, one size will not do. As for paper, again leave your options open. Looking at the journals of Lewis & Clark, Twain, Darwin, da Vinci they were not of words alone. Blank pages maybe best for some notebooks and even written in pencil.

I have 4 of BroLeatherWorks from Italy, I concur with your enjoyment and functionality comments. Beautiful work, quick deliver by EMS to USA. I use mine a lot especially, my latest purchase a 2.5 x 3.5" Rhodia Staplebound Insert size for a dress shirt pocket. Jim

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

What size of paper are you looking for?

etsy has a lot of choices if you search their site for Leather Handmade Notebook. It usually doesn't like you to put in "cover".

Last night I actually typed enormous responses to both of your posts, but my laptop restarted (updates) and I lost it all. I apologize for not retyping it all, but here are the cliffnotes haha.

I ended up liking the A4 8.25 x 11.75" size the most, but am now considering a second book with A5. I looked at all the makers you both suggested. Was very intrigued by the Inkleaf stuff, as well as a lot of the etsy makers, but it was hard finding the correct size. As I was browsing these covers, I noticed that the patterns for all were remarkably simple to cut out, and the comments about making my own were sticking with me.

I never thought of using a page guide so thank you for opening me up to unlined paper! And I would love to start binding my own paper, but for the first book I'm going to use pre-made sheets. I don't want to get bogged down with too many of my new hobbies aspects all at once. For example I haven't gotten into making my own ink either, but that is something I would love to visit much after binding my own paper :)

I happen to have a large amount of leather scrap at the office, and in lieu of retyping my responses I made a couple designs to fit the size Rhodia pad I bought. So anyway, here is the last few hours of my night last night. The non-colored images are actually the cutout pattern for the laser, to exact scale, along with lines to denote sticking, etc. By amazing coincidence I happen to have the little button snap tool from fixing a button on a jacket just last week, so I chose snaps for enclosure.

This one is hardcover on both sides, and the second is hardover bottom, half-hardcover face. Made for a Rhodia size 8.25 x 11.75"

http://i.imgur.com/j0p5CYK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EH4qiRJ.jpg

My only concern is sewing, I've never sewn leather. Cutting it is no problem, and the snap button are easy, but I have basically no leather sewing experience.

I'd go for a notepad rather than a notebook, as the pages are easily detachable. I like the A5 size as it's a nice portable size but with space enough for letter writing. I'd use a Rhodia R pad. Very FP friendly paper, 90gsm vellum. Not expensive. Here's a link to a UK site but Rhodia is widely available elsewhere .http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/rhodia-r-a5-notepad/p2910

Then you could get a notepad cover / document wallet similar to one of these. There are many other sources for these

http://www.lucrin.co.uk/a5-document-wallet.htm?CAWELAID=475145295&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CI2fm7yL87wCFQ_HtAodpRkAHw

The R by Rhodia was the paper I was looking for, but I bought the larger size. I really like the Lucrin A5 styles, simple, has everything I need, just not 100% I want to go with A5 size. Probably for my second one.

+++ on the make your own cover or have one made in your town or a place like etsy.

I have bought actually the Midori covers and simple FieldNotes covers from Davis Leatherworks and have been well pleased. I just received from BroLeatherWorks http://www.etsy.com/shop/BroLeatherWorks/about?ref=announce a beautiful binder for art, drawing, painting journals. I got a predesigned model the Tina but originally it was a special order from "Tina". The leather is heavy and will last a century or 2. It has pockets for notes or pads and corded spine to slip in notebooks.

Once you decide the size paper you want to use, pockets you might want I'm certain you can find someone to make you a great cover. Also fairly certain you will end up with leather covered journals of various sizes.It's that potato chip thing.

I keep mentioning because it caught my interest, a reply to a recent topic on Pocket Notebooks referencing

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/09/13/the-pocket-notebooks-of-20-famous-men/

Following the various links and comments reminded me that you always want a notebook of some type on your person. One type, one size will not do. As for paper, again leave your options open. Looking at the journals of Lewis & Clark, Twain, Darwin, da Vinci they were not of words alone. Blank pages maybe best for some notebooks and even written in pencil.

I completely have the potato chip thing, and am sure in six months I'll be the proud owner of many sizes and styles haha. The Bro Leatherworks covers look very nice, and the 20 Famous Men's Notebooks article was a very interesting read. The Bros Leatherworks ones looked nice, but they are just a little too simple for my taste, I'm also unsure how I'd like the string enclosure. That being said, I'm sure one will find its way into my house sooner than later haha.

I have 4 of BroLeatherWorks from Italy, I concur with your enjoyment and functionality comments. Beautiful work, quick deliver by EMS to USA. I use mine a lot especially, my latest purchase a 2.5 x 3.5" Rhodia Staplebound Insert size for a dress shirt pocket. Jim

Will they make small changes if you contact them? I'd only really want to change the enclosure a bit and I don't mind ordering custom.

Also, I realize the straps on my design are shown sewn to the left-most side, but they'd actually need to be sewn further inward for when the flap folds over to be sewn.

Hi Cyclin

I am not an expert in notebook covers or in working with leather for that matter but I can tell you sewing leather is not that difficult.

I started working in leather in October last year and learnt to sew it by watching videos on youtube you will need a few tools one for marking out stitches and one for making the holes.

Leather needles and some thread and you are in business.

Good luck

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Stealing the topic....

Jim if still here. Which cover did you get from BroLeatherworks and where do you get the 2.5 x 3.5" Rhodia Staplebound Insert? My searches are going nowhere.

---- Yes BroLeatherworks does custom. That's how the Tina came about, looked good enough he kept in as an option. You have to kind of hunt the site to find all the options.

The nice thing about the elastic string is that you can carry small/thin notebooks of different types paper in the same leather cover.

Initially you maybe looking for a cover for a stay at home large-ish book but likely will consider smaller pocket options. Most of these covers are such that you can carry 2, maybe 3 notebooks. You might have one lined and another blank or grid. Because I'm trying to cultivate some creative --something, I have a notebook of drawing or watercolor paper and another for notes in the same cover.

Look at the Midori type notebooks discussed in this forum. Some carry their life as a scrapbook/wallet in theirs, some carry for one purpose. FieldNotes and other brands are intended for pocket carry without an additional cover, but many like to protect in leather and maybe include a second FieldNote. The joy of these little bits of leather and notebooks, bought or handmade is that they are flexible, changeable and attractive to men and women. Somehow it reminds me of building that fort under the dining room table or a treehouse.

SallyLyn:

I got 2 of Stefan's 3 x 5, Field Notes, Doane paper Covers in Brown Leather with Red elastic. It was the red Elastic that sucked me in. Last Buy, less than a month ago can be found on etsy at: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/177975060?ref=fb2_tnx_title. I was off on my size estimate. they are actually 8.5 cm x 12 cm in size. I got 2 groups from the USA Mollie shop in Colorado European Paper.

These are Clairefontaine #3586C, staple side bound, 90 gm paper Lined with Plastic coated paper cover , Red, Green and blue covers, 7.5 cm x 12 cm. Then from Goulet I got Rhodia, Orange Colour Side Staple Bound ADS5070 Small Staple Bound Notebooks, which are also 7r cm x 12 cm, Lined and usual Rhodia Paper. Writers Block has a Bamboo MiniNotebook in 6.5 cm x 10.5 cm as does Mollie in it's Mini Volant size. Mollie available at European Paper too. They fit in Stefan's Cover, but are small. Stefan is a prince to work with, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to accomplish you're modifications. He obviously speaks and understands English quite well, was easy to work with and an immediate responder to my querries. Usual disclaimers apply, just a very happy client.

SallyLyn:

Here's a link for the smaller notebooks I was thinking of 2.25" x 3.33 " Credit card size. Jet Pens used to carry them.

http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=midori+memorandum

I usually trim the covers a hair and then they'll fit in an Oberon Design, and others, Card Wallet for business cards or credit cards, a front pocket men's wallet . You can find a ton of these on etsy.com I use the Red Dragon Oberon Design one. Makes a real classy pocket memo book at a low cost. Link as follows: http://oberondesign.com/oberon-accessories/cardholders.html

Once again, usual disclaimers apply, no affiliation, just a very satisfied client. Jim

Edited by jimhughes

So I ended up splurging (before my other pad even arrived) and bought the R by Rhodia A5 migo984 suggested :), one cover off etsy, and some Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo ink. Don't tell the wife.

Before I pick up another nice cover, like the one's you all suggested. I really do wanna try to make one, cause if it works, I'd be able to make my own for other sizes as well, which saves a cool $100 each time haha. Anyway, last night I revised one of the designs I made The blue lines are where the laser will put a shallow channel for the thread to sit, the small circles are actually cut-holes for the stitching. I went away with all that overindulgent decoration, focused more on the spine design, and kept the etching to just her name on the spine, and her Initial inside the cover.

http://i.imgur.com/vhjTP8n.png

The top part is a screenshot of the actual pattern file I will be sending to the laser, the bottom is a to-scale representation of what it should look like after.

Looks pretty nice. You obviously have either engineering skills or are an artist. You could go into business on etsy . with this. I'd get in line to buy one. Good luck with your project. Share the final product with us, Jim

Jim,

Thanks for all the small journal info. The jetpens notepads are interesting. Put on JP wishlist, sigh.

Years ago I got something called a Picopad. Credit card size, folded nice paper cover with a maybe 1.5x2.5", 15 sheet pad of post it note type paper. It also includes a ballpoint pen just the size of a short refill with another paper thing/wings that lets you hold it with ease. Just looked and they still exist, even at Amazon. Always carry one and they work.

Will be interested to see how OP does making his cover. I'm not talented or patient enough to do. Watched someone on youtube make a midori type cover in minutes. Exact and quick.

My pleasure. I do recall the name Pico Pads, but for some unknown reason I never pursued them like I do small pads now. I'm guessing that it was because I had a trunk load of Levenger 3 x 5 cards imprinted with my name, duty station, phone number, address etc. I kept several of them in my duty uniform pocket and gave them out instead of Business cards and jotted all my daily notes on them. Down to one box left and operating in a civilian environment so my interest in non standardized note paper is increased. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally found the time to put together my first notepad cover. This is the 6th design i did, and like how it came out. There are a few design changes I need to make to really get it perfect. Also, this was all done on scrap leather from last year, which wasn't cut appropriately before using my machine, so bear with me on the flaws for the first try. It was also my first experience with sewing leather, and aside from the problems I got with the scraps messing up my stitching cuts, the stitching was not hard at all.

Oh one more thing, this is before the optional backer board were inserted. I made and sanded some 1/8" boards that slide into the wall slits (which were intended for side-stapled notebooks). This gave my cover a more hardcover feel, and can be removed when I don't feel like leaving them in.

http://i.imgur.com/MuYurlO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0foMMi4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aQtcfLm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CiYlNBu.jpg

With flash on and without. I still need to trim and burn around the edges to get rid of some slight fraying, but overall I'd consider my first leather notebook project a success.

Here are pictures of it from right now. I bring it with me to continue writing my daughter's "Letters to Future You". Since the day those first pictures were taken, I have inserted the hardcover 1/8" cards, slightly cut some of the fraying, and gone over the edges/seams with a lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/Lp0A9ro.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NA3CQFm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WY4vFb0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YRdp9A1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u1YevN8.jpg

EDIT: If you insist on reading that letter, as I've just realized you can, please disregard the glaring grammatical errors. That was late last night.

Edited by Cyclin