Examples Of Cursive Italic

gordonf35

Hello Everyone.

It has been a while since my last post, and my pilot VP with cursive italic nib brings me back to here! :P

I was looking for cursive italic example (as I am sure there is a lot on FPN) but most of the photos were deleted. Could anyone generously share his/her writing of cursive italic again please? I am planning to find some examples which are elegant but they can also be "tweaked" when I need to write faster (i.e. at work, etc)

Many thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Gordon

GORDON KY

Collection: Waterman 52 Ideal Red Ripple (Super Flex), MB Starwalker (Medium nib), Lamy Safari (1.1 stub nib), Waterman Hemisphere (Extra Fine), Parker 51 (Cursive Italic nib), Pilot Vanishing Point (Stub nib), Sheaffer PFM V Green (Rare Factory Stub), Noodler Ahab (Flex nib)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gordonf35

• GClef

• dms525

• Pete-M

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best, IMHO, to go to Google and search on "italic writing images". That should give you lots to look at and study.

Best of luck to you,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Hello GClef,

Thanks so much for your reply! Your writing is amazing :P I really wish I could show some consistency like you had in your writing.

Yes, well spotted. It was written by a waterman 52 #2 nib but I used a Sheaffer nib in the photo as it has two-tone and would stand out from my signature.

Thank you for your reply!

Gordon

Edited by gordonf35

GORDON KY

Collection: Waterman 52 Ideal Red Ripple (Super Flex), MB Starwalker (Medium nib), Lamy Safari (1.1 stub nib), Waterman Hemisphere (Extra Fine), Parker 51 (Cursive Italic nib), Pilot Vanishing Point (Stub nib), Sheaffer PFM V Green (Rare Factory Stub), Noodler Ahab (Flex nib)

Thank you! :D I am actually trying to practise with your writing as an example. There are a lot of results when I google "cursive italic" but most of them were normal italic and they are in a mix of quality. Good ones like yours are not easy to find. :wacko:

GORDON KY

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/2014-02-28_11-59-27_671_zpsb5b6534c.jpg

Oops...I misspelled "accustomed".

Edited by GClef

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/2014-02-28_12-15-11_527_zps622cbe70.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot...I rotate the pad slightly to the left, but not as much as when writing in cursive.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a440/Gordon_Tam/Fountain%20Pen%20Network%20Reply/2014-02-28173108_zpsffb5adf7.png

Edited by gordonf35

GORDON KY

I have no idea on how to adjust my pen pressure to form a very thin line between the letters. I think it affects a lot on my writing.

Besides, I am very week on linking "ff", "gg", "ta", "ra", "re". :huh:

GORDON KY

I have no idea on how to adjust my pen pressure to form a very thin line between the letters. I think it affects a lot on my writing.

Besides, I am very week on linking "ff", "gg", "ta", "ra", "re". :huh:

I agree entirely with GClef's advice. In addition, note that the thick/thin line variation in italic script does not result from varying pressure but from the chisel-tipped nib and how it is positioned.

Nib+angle_0438_edited-1.JPG

I hope this helps.

You might want to look at the tutorial pinned in this Forum. Also, find the Lloyd Reynolds series of instructional videos on youtube.com, also in the iTunes U store.

Happy writing!

David

Thank you David.

I can confirm the nib is an italic nib because I had a round nib before. I ordered this pen from nibs.com. It is however a cursive italic nib so I guess that's the reason why it does not have a lot of line variation. I think I should have bought a crisp italic nib but I was not very sure how much "smoothness" I have to scarify for the extra line variation. By the way, your italic is amazing!! What type of pen/nib/ink did you use?

Gordon

GORDON KY

Thank you David.

I can confirm the nib is an italic nib because I had a round nib before. I ordered this pen from nibs.com. It is however a cursive italic nib so I guess that's the reason why it does not have a lot of line variation. I think I should have bought a crisp italic nib but I was not very sure how much "smoothness" I have to scarify for the extra line variation. By the way, your italic is amazing!! What type of pen/nib/ink did you use?

Gordon

Hmmm ... I believe I wrote the italic portion with a Nakaya Naka-ai with a 0.7 mm custom-ground crisp cursive italic nib.

Also, see my additional advice, in the next reply.

David

Thank you David,

I will work on my standard italic first. I think I previously thought the cursive writes differently than italic by linking every letter in very few strokes. It appears to me now that cursive italic writes very similar to italic. The only difference is "linking" them with a longer "tail" on each letter but it does not necessary require everything to write in a single stroke - could anyone confirm this please?

I tried to find some example in youtube to confirm whether this is true but it seems there is no one writing cursive italic.

Anyway, I will work on my italic and hopefully one day you will see my improvement! :lol:

Gordon

GORDON KY

Thank you David,

I will work on my standard italic first. I think I previously thought the cursive writes differently than italic by linking every letter in very few strokes. It appears to me now that cursive italic writes very similar to italic. The only difference is "linking" them with a longer "tail" on each letter but it does not necessary require everything to write in a single stroke - could anyone confirm this please?

I tried to find some example in youtube to confirm whether this is true but it seems there is no one writing cursive italic.

Anyway, I will work on my italic and hopefully one day you will see my improvement! :lol:

Gordon

Gordon,

I think the reason you are not finding cursive italic instruction on youtube.com is that everyone starts with more formal italic. In Episode 10 and 11 of the instructional series that Lloyd Reynolds made for Oregon Public TV, he discussed joins. Here is a link. I hope it gets you there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Us5aC4eu-9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4lW5TdzIA

Please note that Reynolds is talking to beginners and to those who are teaching beginners. He would probably be much less didactic and more permissive if talking to experienced writers of italic. I conclude this from examining Reynolds' own cursive italic in copies of letters he wrote.

In cursive italic, the "links" are generally referred to as "joins." Now, there is some disagreement about the "rules" of joining. To a degree it's a matter of preference and your own sense of what works. However, I think all agree that some letters are easier to join to their neighbors than others, for example "n" is easy to join to both the preceding and the following letters. On the other hand, "b" is difficult to join to the preceding letter and probably should never be joined to the following letter. (Some may dispute even this!) I don't think any one would say that joining every letter in a word is necessary to qualify as cursive italic.

I think some study of what the respected teachers teach is worthwhile, but, as has been said, your own usage can grow organically as you gain proficiency. You don't need to rush it.

David

Edited by dms525

• 1 month later...

Could anyone generously share his/her writing of cursive italic again please? I am planning to find some examples which are elegant but they can also be "tweaked" when I need to write faster (i.e. at work, etc)

This is a small piece of my cursive Italic.

fpn_1396337408__to_judge_the_real_worth_

Edited by Ken Fraser

• 1 year later...

fpn_1454443757__fountain_pen_network_pos

Just got inspired by your post, GClef, and tried to duplicate it! Realized my nib size was way too big for my size of text, but oh well. Also sorry about the non-resolved parenthesis at the end there... ahhh

Edited by aricb

• 2 years later...