How Many Of You Use Scented Inks?

lectraplayer

That's what I just discovered... After seeing it on Goulet, I had a wild hare, some cheap perfume, and some black ink to get rid of. Decided to make a mixxxer, but forgot about it for several months or so. A month ago, I dug it back up and put some in a couple pens. I was supprised at how strong the scent is. Also, makes writing more pleasurable. How many of you commonly use scented inks and what kind?

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Joane

• amberleadavis

• lectraplayer

I have used Herbin scented inks but the scent doesn't last too long. Although I'm not one to mess with ink formulations by adding anything, I do sometimes scent letters. I write the letter with regular ink and spritz on perfume afterward, spraying lightly on the back to prevent blurring.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

Funny you ask because not 2 weeks back I ordered a bottle of DeAtramentis Plum ink. Personally I love the color and the smell as I write but as Joane said, the smell doesnt last too long.

Coming to think about it, they probably don't make scented inks too strong on purpose because perfume oils are potent and can be quite corrosive. For instance, it's advised not to spray perfume around pearls because the perfume oils eat away the nacre. They might enjoy dining on fountain pen innards as well.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

I like most scented inks. I think that scented inks is really for the writer, but the fragrance evaporates before it gets to the receiver. if you want to scent your stationary, then put it in a plastic bag with a cotton ball with your fragrance on it. I just did a podcast about that, too! Tried to embed it but failed. Oh well!

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Coming to think about it, they probably don't make scented inks too strong on purpose because perfume oils are potent and can be quite corrosive. For instance, it's advised not to spray perfume around pearls because the perfume oils eat away the nacre. They might enjoy dining on fountain pen innards as well.

That's true. I use a very light perfume (from L'Occitane, in theory they're made of natural ingredients), but I put my winter coat when my neck wasn't completely dry and now it got a stain that won't go away! :angry:

I use both Herbin and De Atramentis, but the scents don't linger. The scents in those are water-based (I think), not oil. For some reason, however, the fir and cedar do leave stronger scents, as I've received letters with hints of them clinging onto the paper... or maybe it's just the writer's scent, he does use fir and cedar-based scents.

Most perfumes also use alcohol as their scent base, and I'm not sure how wise it'd be to mix ink and alcohol.

This has been an Italian tradition for some centuries. I wonder how they did it... but they probably used dip pens or glass pens, so maybe they didn't have to worry about corrosion.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

I have some of the 2009 Montblanc White Forrest (green), the ink performance and color is really nice... the scent is rather reminiscent of a car air freshener. I have a few more samples from ink drops, but never really got into scented inks.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I tried Architekt's Vanilla scented ink. I wrote my wife a mushy letter. It smelled nice as I wrote it, but when she opened it, she couldn't smell it (and her nose is much more sensitive than mine).

I've used primarily DeAtramentis scented inks (samples from Goulet Pens). Some of them really really stink, but thankfully the scent doesn't last long ;)

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Best flower smells = Ylang-Ylang and Hyacinth; crassest non-flowers = Steam Locomotive and Petrol.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I like DeAtramentis lavender scented ink. The color is nice and the scent is very pleasant (and of course relaxing). And like everyone else's experience, the scent is very temporary and only enjoyed by the writer. But then the same can be said for the pen :-)

I tried some scented inks, but I found them disappointing. Not lots of smell when I was writing, and the quality of the inks wasn't special.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I once used a sample ink, the scent was strong out of the little vial. but once i begin to write, maybe a minute or two into the writing, the scent disappears from the paper. I don't know if its me that my nose got used to the scent. or it just evaporated completely.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I knew the scent didn't last long, and my mixxxer isn't exactly ideal, but the pen I use for my log book isn't but $6. So far, no problems except for some sediment.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.