Montblanc Bespoke Nib Service

mrchan

Dear FPNers,

Montblanc boutique in Brisbane has given me a ring yesterday regarding them receiving the machine that will remain here in Brisbane for 2 days for writing analysis (which was free), asking if I would be interested in having my writing analysed and perhaps even to create a bespoke nib for me.

Unfortunately I was going to be away at the time that very same weekend (flying overseas), so I had to decline. I did however, ask for the price of a bespoke nib which could be made only for the 146 or 149.

Guess how much?

AUD1600 was how much the nib was going to cost. 1600!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats like $1440 USD!!

I could buy two brand new MSRP MB146 with that!

Anyway, just thought I'd share that fun fact.

For anybody who has had a bespoke nib done by MB, feel free to share its cost and pics of course!

Cheers!

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• mrchan

• Inkling13

• Ghost Plane

Some time ago Rockyspyder posted a photo of a bespoke double slit MB music nib (something like a 6B) that he had made that was one of the most spectacular nibs I have seen.

Edited by Blade Runner

Some time ago Rockyspyder posted a photo of a bespoke double slit MB music nib (something like a 6B) that he had made that was one of the most spectacular nibs I have seen.

Agree. Lust after & cannot afford

It is a lot of money, but if you want a nib that few people in the world have, it's up to your imagination.

Edit to add: I think the cost quoted by Rockyspyder was much less - $800. I've heard you Aussies have a high cost of living. :)

Edited by Blade Runner

I suspect the price has been inflated in Australia. We generally pay 20-50% more for most pens unless you can come to a deal with the boutique as a "valued client". Try and get the data from the machine and take it to a boutique in the USA or Germany the next time you're over. Not sure if they'll release the info to you however.......

Montblanc POA Series

Pretty sure our very own FPN member Pavoni had a nib created for himself which has a lovely personalised engraving on both sides of the nib.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I have a bespoke Montblanc nib, on my 100-Year Historical. I am the one who bespoke it. Bespake it. Bespeaked it. (Laughing.)

I have little memory of what I actually did, as I was in a bit of a rage at the time, frustrated about trying to make the EF write less like an M. I was at the point where I knew I might have to replace the nib (at lesson-learned price), but I got lucky.

I would love to easily afford a bespoke nib. Until then, I carefully and slowly and without rage tweak my own nibs, keeping in mind the various nib grinders who would be able to fix my careful mistakes.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have a bespoke Montblanc nib, on my 100-Year Historical. I am the one who bespoke it. Bespake it. Bespeaked it. (Laughing.)

I have little memory of what I actually did, as I was in a bit of a rage at the time, frustrated about trying to make the EF write less like an M. I was at the point where I knew I might have to replace the nib (at lesson-learned price), but I got lucky.

I would love to easily afford a bespoke nib. Until then, I carefully and slowly and without rage tweak my own nibs, keeping in mind the various nib grinders who would be able to fix my careful mistakes.

Pics or it didn't happen :P

Pretty sure our very own FPN member Pavoni had a nib created for himself which has a lovely personalised engraving on both sides of the nib.

I saw that, wasn't it that 6B or something? With 2 nib slits, music-like? Awesome looking sure it was.

I suspect the price has been inflated in Australia. We generally pay 20-50% more for most pens unless you can come to a deal with the boutique as a "valued client". Try and get the data from the machine and take it to a boutique in the USA or Germany the next time you're over. Not sure if they'll release the info to you however.......

Everything is inflated in OZ for sure, even a brand new mb146 costs 860AUD here. Madness..I mean I could pay a nibmeister less than 1/10 of that to adjust my nibs..anyway it is an interesting idea nonetheless..too bad the prices are just unacceptably high..

I purchased a ratnamson fountain pen about 7 years ago where they handmade a 14k gold nib for me. I have my vanity initials on the nib jb-cpa. However, I could have purchased 5 pens like that for the montblanc price.

I love MB and own a bunch of them (25?). I wouldn't even begin to know what to ask for in such an expensive nib. It would have to turn my handwriting into something spectacular.

I would love to see pictures and hear about them, though.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Now, I don't have a MB, but from what I've heard is that their nibs are not marked, meaning there is nothing on the nib denoting what size they are. So, couldn't you just by the fattest nib they have on a 149, and have that ground to your heart's desire by a nibmeister? If you really wanted the personal interaction, I bet that you could find them at a pen faire and have the work done then...

Now, I don't have a MB, but from what I've heard is that their nibs are not marked, meaning there is nothing on the nib denoting what size they are. So, couldn't you just by the fattest nib they have on a 149, and have that ground to your heart's desire by a nibmeister? If you really wanted the personal interaction, I bet that you could find them at a pen faire and have the work done then...

The standard nibs go oblique 3B at the widest. The one Rockyspyder got was 6B and double slitted.

Many of us seek to go larger, not ruin nibs by grinding anything off.

How about a custom retipping? Even that doesn't carry nearly as heavy price tag as a factory bespoke...

The standard nibs go oblique 3B at the widest. The one Rockyspyder got was 6B and double slitted.

but are the nibs marked for what size they are? I can see it being odd if a F nib is retipped for a OBBB nib might look odd with that F on it, but if they aren't, what's the draw?

but are the nibs marked for what size they are? I can see it being odd if a F nib is retipped for a OBBB nib might look odd with that F on it, but if they aren't, what's the draw?

Well if the nib is a F, obviously you can't just retip it to make the tip look massive and then try to add two slits to it to make it a music nib..That has gotta be bespoke of course.

And no, the tips are not marked for what size they are afaik.

Well if the nib is a F, obviously you can't just retip it to make the tip look massive and then try to add two slits to it to make it a music nib..That has gotta be bespoke of course.

And no, the tips are not marked for what size they are afaik.

Yes, I've seen some re-tipping jobs where the new tipping is just too massive for the end of the pen, making it look like a marshmallow pinned at the end of thin stick. The bespoke music nib that I mentioned looks much more refined. The tip blends imperceptibly with the wide spade like end of the nib. The re-tipping job looks like a re-tipping job. The bespoke MB nib looks like a custom nib from the factory.

Edited by Blade Runner

Yes, I've seen some re-tipping jobs where the new tipping is just too massive for the end of the pen, making it look like a marshmallow pinned at the end of thin stick. The bespoke music nib that I mentioned looks much more refined. The tip blends imperceptibly with the wide spade like end of the nib. The re-tipping job looks like a re-tipping job. The bespoke MB nib looks like a custom nib from the factory.

this is true, most of the MB music nibs actually have more gold content in order to look even and flush with 6B tip. hence the price, not to mention the extra cautiousness work toward regrinding triple edged nib ( left center right) my best music nib experience falls within pilot's i tried it sometime ago at store, i liked it, but as a writer i dont. BUT i can see some artist or sketcher using it alternatively compared to a musican.

but when i hit lotto, i easily could see myself owning a MB 6B nib, Just because.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.