Nakaya Naka-Ai Shobu W/ Spencerian Nib

Apprenti

Thank you for the pictures and your review of first impressions of the pen. I am unfamiliar with nakaya naming so I am unsure what color exactly the pen is. I like the writing samples, but honestly expected a tad more line variation. Overall great looking pen. All that matter is that youre happy.

When I first tried it I kind of felt like that, but you've got to bear in mind that the nib is very fine. Instead of going from F to BB, this goes from XXXXF to B so, although the swells aren't huge, the nib has great line variation.

Personally, I don't think you need more for spencerian, and I've always got my dip nibs :)

It's a great pen, I love it.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Joe

Edited by Apprenti

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apprenti

• Ghost Plane

• perrins57

• zerotester

Looks awesome!

I'm still spending a solid hour or three per day with my Mottishaw Spencerian. I pulled the feed and nib today for the first time because I'm getting some nib creep. Much like the amount seen in the imoveablemovers youtube video. I don't think I had any the first few days, but I gather this is normal as I see it on most online pics of the Mottishaw Spencerian grind.

Just found this topic today and---congrats on your new Nakaya! Actually, I'm happier to see your writing sample because I have a Nakaya with the same nib! Don't tell me you used Diamine Twilight as your ink though, since that's what I have inked up in mine...

I agree with you about the nib not being as soft---it's really those microscopic hairlines that bring out the contrasts in the lettering. Really breathtaking to look at whenever you write with it. Though sometimes, the point is so sharp I feel like I'll poke myself just by looking at it!

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Hi Jadie,

Have you had any experience with railroading with the ink you're using? I'm using Lamy Black and, while it looks nice on paper, it railroads every now and then. I highly doubt it's the fault of the pen, so I'm looking for ink suggestions.

The railroading isn't that bad anyway, to be honest. It only does it when the ink can't get to the feed quickly enough (like when I start using it). It only railroaded once or twice over four pages.

It's a beautiful pen, and I couldn't be happier with it!!! It's not the most complex of Nakaya's pens, but it's absolutely amazing, and I think that the fact they made something so simple so beautiful speaks volumes about their work.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Jadie,

Have you had any experience with railroading with the ink you're using? I'm using Lamy Black and, while it looks nice on paper, it railroads every now and then. I highly doubt it's the fault of the pen, so I'm looking for ink suggestions.

The railroading isn't that bad anyway, to be honest. It only does it when the ink can't get to the feed quickly enough (like when I start using it). It only railroaded once or twice over four pages.

It's a beautiful pen, and I couldn't be happier with it!!! It's not the most complex of Nakaya's pens, but it's absolutely amazing, and I think that the fact they made something so simple so beautiful speaks volumes about their work.

Thanks,

Joe

I've been using Noodler's Eel Turquoise and it looks great, but causes a lot of nib creep and the thins are not always as thin as possible from over saturation when I refill or pump up some ink. I changed to some Parker Black Quink I have and it performs much cleaner with thinner thins all the time, but it's a boring, chalky looking dark grey color with shading. Iroshuzuku Tsuki-yo is coming next week, so i'm hoping it doesn't creep, but from pics it looks like it will. I'm looking for a blue/black that shades and has the qualities that don't allow nib creep.

The ink in your videos looks nice. I'm sure the railroading is nothing to do with the pen itself, I'd imagine it's just my cheap inks. I've got some Noodler's X-feather but I'm a little worried about putting Noodler's ink in a Nakaya after my experiences with their pens!

It's an awesome pen, even with cheap ink. The weight and balance is perfect, and the nib just feels AMAZING. The colour's cool too :D

Joe

I've got both those papers and I wanted to try Diamine. Is it possible that it's my ink that's the problem then?

Thanks,

Joe

Possibly? I've never experienced railroading with Diamine Twilight. It flows consistently and smoothly---no nib creep, either. Actually the only problem I've seen so far is that the ink runs out too quickly in the pen! (Nakaya needs bigger converters, methinks.)

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Very, very nice pen Joe. Congratulations!

It's always nice to follow the road from anticipation to the moment of pure joy, we all know what's that like.

Possibly? I've never experienced railroading with Diamine Twilight. It flows consistently and smoothly---no nib creep, either. Actually the only problem I've seen so far is that the ink runs out too quickly in the pen! (Nakaya needs bigger converters, methinks.)

Hmm, that's three people who've said diamine (including Mr Mottishaw). I'll have to try it out :)

Thanks guys,

Joe

Inked up with Noodler's X-Feather today, and the pen's flowing beautifully. I've lost some of the greys of the hairlines, but gained a lot of black in the swells.

I love this pen,

Joe

• 5 months later...

Bump!

Apprenti,

After a few months of use have you found the flex to increase, break-in more compared to your first day pics posted here?