Nakaya Naka-Ai Shobu W/ Spencerian Nib

Apprenti

Nice fountain pen. I started this year with collecting fountain pens. Now i have a Namiki Falcon and also a custom 74. Before i had a Sailor 1911. I wonder why a Nakaya. Here in Belgium there are no pen stores they know Namiki or Nakaya.

Good luck with you pen and hope to see some writing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apprenti

• Ghost Plane

• perrins57

• zerotester

Hey Joe,

I'm also waiting for my first Nakaya: Neostandard in Shobu color.

Can't wait either. It's going to be here by end of March..........

Bram

Yey! Awesome, I'm excited for you!!!

I'm surprised, actually. Not many people seem to have a Shobu Nakaya, it's interesting that we're both getting what seems to be an uncommon colour.

Post pics when it arrives!!!

Joe

My Nakaya came!

My Nakaya came!

Oh happy day!

My Nakaya came!!!

It's waiting at home for me at this very moment. Now, I have to wait one... long... hour... before I can play with it :(

But what the hey,

It's a happy day,

My Nakaya came,

Hip hip hooray!!!

Can you tell I'm excited?

Edited by Apprenti

IT'S HERE!!!

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0177.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0185-1.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0187.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0196.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0211-1.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0212.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0218.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0219.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/Josiah_Goldsmith/DSC_0224.jpg

First impressions (this was a couple of hours ago) OK, quite smooth, but with very nice feedback. Incredibly fine line (finer than my Gilot dip nibs!) and, stiff? Tried flexing a little, and...

There it is!!! It took me about 30 minutes to get used to it (figuring out how it writes, its capabilities, the converter) but then... wow. Absolutely stunning. The nib seems stiffer than I expected, but this is purely because the nib's so fine that the swells don't benefit from the extra width of the nib The outside is a lovely colour, but probably not something people will notice unless they like fountain pens. It's VERY light. But in a nice way (excellent balance). Personally, I love the colour. The whole pen EXUDES craftsmanship.

The big deal about this pen is the nib. IT'S AMAZING!!! Smoother than a dip nib, but with a gorgeous amount of feedback ('just enough to know you're writing' as my dad said). It doesn't feel like you're writing, so you can focus on the letters. Zero railroading with sensible use, and only one or two railroads over 4 pages of flex (only because I wasn't giving the feed enough time to get the ink to the nib, and I was writing quickly), If you want a fuss-free, serious nib, this one's perfect. I'm using Lamy Black ink, and the hairlines are very light whereas the swells are amazingly dark. Flow's about 7, which is just right (in my opinion). Much quicker drying time than a dip nib.

The included ink was ok, but didn't work so well when flexed (and took forever to start up). With the right ink and paper though, this pen glides across the paper, leaving behind a luscious, fluid line.

The kimono's cute, and is perfect for protecting against scratches.

The colour of the pen is IMPOSSIBLE to photograph, purely because it's so deep! It changes drastically depending on the light source, and it's beautiful in all situations. The gold trim really shows nicely against the dark background of the pen.

This is a pen I never thought I'd own, and I love it. It exceeds my expectations, and I'm incredibly grateful to the wonderful person who gave it to me in the first place. This is, to me, the best pen in the world. That may seem a little childish, but it's true. That's how I feel about this pen!

Hope the pictures are ok.

Thanks,

Joe

wow ...

I really love your pen ... but ...

... I admire your handwriting even more :)

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

wow ...

I really love your pen ... but ...

... I admire your handwriting even more :)

Thanks, I'll post some proper writing samples tomorrow. This is just my everyday quick writing, but I'm glad my hard work's paying off :)

Thanks guys,

Joe

That has turned out to be a very nice pen!

And yes, you do have nice writing!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Iron gall ink would work nicely with those fine lines and swells.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

Amazing pen and gorgeous nib.

This customization on Nakaya nib is totally new to me.

And this work of art met your great handwriting making a nice partnership.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18

Iron gall ink would work nicely with those fine lines and swells.

That's what Lamy is, though I'd love to try some different inks (when I've recovered from customs! Totally worth it though :) )

Thanks everyone,

Joe

Edited by Apprenti

Thank you for the pictures and your review of first impressions of the pen. I am unfamiliar with nakaya naming so I am unsure what color exactly the pen is. I like the writing samples, but honestly expected a tad more line variation. Overall great looking pen. All that matter is that youre happy.

Wow, Joe, you have a great pen there. Congrats, and many kudos for your benefactor. :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I'm available for adoption.

Lol

Me too!

edit I did not see the second page with the pen pics and your handwriting.

Both gorgeous!

I'm happy for you, it really looks like a fantastic pen

Edited by Jeje3325

Congratulations. I hope you have many year's of joy from the pen. I imagine it will be treasured for years to come!