The Very Best Paper In The United Kingdom Finally Found....!

Sach

I've tried at least 20 different papers over the last two months. I can honestly say that THE VERY BEST is staples 120gsm, and if you tolerate a slighly heavier weight the 160gsm from staples as well. I've been on a bit of a quest lately, and I've tried HP colour laser 100 and 120gsm, Claifontaine DCP 100 and 120 gsm, conqueror, Mondi colour laser 100 gsm, 120gsm, and 160gsm. I've compared smoothness, feathering resistance, and bleed through to both Rhodia and the Clairfontaine triomphe, and the Staples colour laser 120gsm and 160gsm performed as well if not better. It's also incredibly good value, with 250 sheets costing between £6.5-£7.5 depending on the weight you choose.

The Staples100gsm was not particularly good so don't bother with it..

Edited by Sach

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sach

• migo984

• Blade Runner

• pavoni

Sach

I bought a pack of the 120gsm, on the basis of your earlier recommendation in the other thread. I can whole-heartedly support your opinion. I'm a Tomoe River afficionado, and it's my first choice for international/airmail letters. But for domestic letters, journalling & other writing tasks the Staples paper is nigh on perfect. It has the advantage too of being ideal for going through the printer for adding letterheads etc.

It is so good that I have indeed also used it for international letters and happily paid the extra postage resulting from its weight.

It's smooth, luxurious, a good bright white, accepting of all inks and takes double-sided writing without any issues. And excellent value.

This was a brilliant spot. Kudos to you.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Such heavy paper is not often used, so its good to know what to choose when time comes to restock.

Might I inveigle you to post the findings of your survey of all twenty plus papers in the PP&P Forum?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Many thanks for the hearty recommendation Sach.

For my important letters, I have been relying on Clairefontaine Triomphe for years. I enjoy the paper so much that I have just realised that I have been relying on it, rather extravagantly, for all my writing :headsmack:

I am certainly going to go down to my nearest Staples branch to buy their 120g, based on the recommendation of both you and migo984. At £6.50 for 250 sheets, I am going to make considerable savings over the year. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Such heavy paper is not often used, so its good to know what to choose when time comes to restock.

Might I inveigle you to post the findings of your survey of all twenty plus papers in the PP&P Forum?

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy

I'm planing to do my review at some point soon!

Many thanks for the hearty recommendation Sach.

For my important letters, I have been relying on Clairefontaine Triomphe for years. I enjoy the paper so much that I have just realised that I have been relying on it, rather extravagantly, for all my writing :headsmack:

I am certainly going to go down to my nearest Staples branch to buy their 120g, based on the recommendation of both you and migo984. At £6.50 for 250 sheets, I am going to make considerable savings over the year. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Do let us know what you think!

Do these papers border on cardstock?

No, nowhere near cardstock. I think the US equivalent is about 32lb (wouldn't it be good if the US joined rest of the world on paper metrics/ISO ;) ).

I got my first pack of Ryman's bank paper on my last trip to the UK and it is terrific. But now and then I do like to use a heavier paper, especially for domestic letters where weight is less of an issue, so I will be another person headed down to Staples in the near future. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by PaperDarts

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

"..THE VERY BEST is staples 120gsm.."

I've just been on the Staples site. Is the paper you're talking about the Staples Text and Graphics A4 120gsm in the purple pack with the paper crown on the front?

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

This is the paper

Oooops - have just seen that Sach has replied already

Edited by migo984

I thought Smythson was the best in the UK.

No, merely the most expensive.

As far as I can tell, Smythson doesn't even make its own paper: I've never seen anything about a Smythson paper mill as I have about companies from Amatruda to Zerkall. I think Smythson just orders paper and does the printing, binding and application of gold leaf. It'd be interesting to find out otherwise.

Smythson is certainly the place to go if you want to drop £250 because you can't remember how many pheasants you've shot, but the range all feels a bit wedding presenty. As with anything else in that sort of price bracket, Smythson customers are largely a mix of old money, dedicated followers of fashion and social climbers with biros and atrocious handwriting. Not me - though I could be any of those things - because nothing Smythson produces has ever excited me the way a loose sheet of Fabriano or Zerkall has.

It's been a while since I tried any Smythson paper, but I didn't think it offered anything I couldn't find in Crane's, Lalo and others. Nothing wrong with the business, of course: I just think Smythson isn't really about the paper in the way that Shepherds is, which would be the first place I'd call at for the very best paper in the UK (the website doesn't show half what's stocked). For really sound everyday paper, I'd do what my compatriots have done and pick up half a ream of decent-looking stuff from the high street. And at the budget end, Paperchase's loose paper can often punch above its weight, though most of their attractively-covered notebooks have cheap, lined paper.

Edited by brunico

Smythson offers gorgeous papers and are very good for fps, but you're right, very costly. It isn't better than Crane's in my view, the brand I mostly use. I'm not a big G. Lalo fan however. Very dry writing.

Sach et al . . . THANK YOU!

Just back from Staples.

I have the 120gsm - yummy.

I also have the 160gsm - WOW, what shading, it's now going to be my new weapon of choice when weight isn't an issue and I'm not using that Tomoe River.