Higher Quality Pilot Pens

Blue_Moon

I'm interested in some of Pilot's higher quality pens. Can you give me your opinions of the Pilot Namiki (Heritage or Custom) 91, 92, 74, 742, 743, 823, and 912? If you could only choose one or two of these, which would you recommend? Please don't suggest any, other than what I've listed. Thanks much!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• Wile E Coyote

• ukobke

• josephchow42

I have an 823, and I like it quite a lot. Wonderfully smooth nib, great feel, and size to the body as well. Filling mechanism interesting, and over all fit and finish first quality.

I'm interested in some of Pilot's higher quality pens. Can you give me your opinions of the Pilot Namiki (Heritage or Custom) 91, 92, 74, 742, 743, 823, and 912? If you could only choose one or two of these, which would you recommend?

Pilot 742. nib of your choice. I love the SM.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

+1 for 742, I love the FA

I understand the FA is not the same nib that is on the actual Namiki Falcon. Is this true?

The Pilot Custom 74 and 742 are the best pens I've used.

Their size and weight are perfect for me, and the nibs are fantastic.

My favorite nibs are the SM and SFM.

Scientia potentia est.

I understand the FA is not the same nib that is on the actual Namiki Falcon. Is this true?

Yes, different pens, nibs and feeds. The FA is available on some of the Custom series (742 size 10 nib/743 size 15 nib). The Elabo/Falcon is it's own pen, with the Elabo being metal barrel and able to use the CON-70 and the Falcon a resin barrel CON-20/50 only.

Pilot FA/Falcon

Pilot Elabo/Falcon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

743 and 823, and a few others share the #15 nib. I have the 823, and it's a very faithful work pen holding a ton of ink. I think Pilot always makes pens of quality, but the price can be high or low. I don't think they have a junk tier of FP's.

the FA nib is much softer than the nib on namiki falcon

http://josephchow42.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/FPN/i-RXgD3pQ/0/O/phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

A lot of love for the 742 and 823. Any others?

A lot of love for the 742 and 823. Any others?

912 instead of 742 for me (they share the same nib selections), I like flat ends and the silver trim better. Also the piston Heritage 92 is excellent for daily use and a great value.

Edited by zchen

I like the 912 as much as the 742.

Rhodium trim, flat ends, a wonderful alternative. Same nib choice as 742.

And the 845. A very good pen. Understated and elegant.

And the 823. Killer ink capacity, good balance.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I chose the 743. I tried and didn't care for the 823. I didn't like the demonstrator aspect and I hated having to unscrew the knob to write. It ruins the lines. The 743 is similar, same nib, but a better everyday user for me.

I have the 92 and just received an 823. Pilots are just well built pens. They all write great although I think the 823 nib is finer than the 92. The 823 is a little bigger and feels slightly heavier. But I may like my 92 just a little better. I love piston fillers and the 92 is an exceptional piston filler.

I love my 742's and 912. The black ones come in wider range of nibs. Only thing i don't like about them - they are black.

For me, balance, overall weight, and section diameter are perfect.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I have a 912 with Music nib. The 912 comes in many nib choices. Like the flat ends too. Last week I bought a 92 demonstrator in M. Also a very nice pen and great value for money.

Nakaya Dorsal Fin II Broad Mottishaw Cursive Italic, Pilot Bamboo Fine, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Music, Sailor PG Demonstrator MF, Sailor 1911 Cross Music, Pilot Capless LE 2007 Orange M, Platinum 3776 Nice LE Fine.

I have two Customs 74 (one is maki-e) with EF and F nibs. Both are very good, I like their 'traditional' design (without many trims).

Any Custom series pens would be well made. I like Heritage 92, 823, 845, and Kaede. One of my Silverns is also in my daily rotation. Also, Pilot has a great after-sales customer service.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Out of the pens I mentioned, the only ones that come in several sized nibs (other than the standard sizes) are the 743, 912, and 742. Is this correct? Also, I was looking at the fountainpen-japan website and it was interesting that only the black 743 came with the additional sized nibs. The deep red (chocolate brown) only came with the standard sizes. Is this just with this company or is it across the board?