Franklin Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic (Smoke & Ice)

cyranodb

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyranodb

• tinta

• Biff

• MadAmos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the F-C Pocket 40 Fire & Ice since February.

It`s the only pen I always carry with me.

It`s attached to my Midori Travelers Notebook which I keep horizontally in my bag.

To be on the save side I always apply a little silicon grease after refilling.

There has never been any leaking.

It`s filled with Diamine Sepia.

Apart from a few Japanese luxury pens (which I`ll never buy _ I had that kind of money I`d spent it on something vintage :) ) I don`t care at all for post-1950 pens.

Franklin-Christoph pens are the absolute exception for me: A transparent eyedropper - how could I not love that?

Now a half year later I`m finally biting the bullet & ordered the Intrinsic Smoke & Ice with a broad stub nib.

I seriously don`t need another pen, but that one kept nagging for months now.

Very hard to justify!

What a folly :blush:

This is just beautiful!!!

I have the 40 in the same finish and it is my favorite of my FC's. Shame on you; another pen I have to add to the list.

the Danitrio Fellowship

It's been a while indeed. I've acquired another 20 pens in this while (I think!), but this is still among my three favourite pens! Staining is a concern, especially the random marks that get on the cap. I have an ultrasonic cleaner, so everything comes out squeaky clean. But from what I hear from FC, 2 parts sudsy ammonia & 1 part water would help if just rinsing in water doesn't clean it.

So, to the OP, as well as to the others who already had the 02, it's been awhile. How do you like it now?

Edited to add: Also, as an eyedropper, have you seen any staining? How hard is it to clean?

This is the one listed at the top - "New Model 02 Intrinsic fountain pen smoke & Ice"

I dont see this finish offered on the FC site. Am I missing something?

Thanks Chi Town, nojanv. Polanova, there's definitely something about FC pens!

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated up above, I bought the Pocket 40 Fire + Ice with the Mike-it-Work M CI in steel. I'm using it as an eyedropper, currently filled with Asa-Gao. It's a dream, but perhaps a bit too short. Now I simply must get an 02 Smoke + Ice also. But my dilemma is nib choice.

Do I get a Mike-it-Work B CI or should I go with a B stub (rhetorical question). I like my TWSBI 1.1 stubs... . Choices, choices.

Edited by Nicolas_Rieussec

Istvan, the 18k M-CI nibs are 0.8mm. But they write slightly wider than the steel M-CI (I have both) mostly because the gold nib is softer & writes a much wetter line. The 1mm B-CI is probably what you're looking for.

"cyranodb", since you have made the above post, I have tracked down a true 1.1 mm 18K JoWo factory stub at Classic Fountain Pens (no affiliation). They have un-branded 18k JoWo nibs-sets, including a factory stub, which John customized for me..

I would have much preferred a natural gold coloured nib, but the stub only came in two-tone.

Still quite presentable on my F-C # 03 & this nib writes like a dream.

You are quite right about the extra flexibility of the 18K vs. the ss. stub.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 5 months later...

Hey, first post on FPN, but I've been helplessly addicted to paper, ink, and pens for a long time.

I wanted to say that Franklin Christoph has the Model 02 with a clear section and Emerald Finial, as well as a Cinnmaron (Red) Finial, also with a clear section. They will be officially available sometime in March, but they have been selling them at shows and such. I will post a picture in two or so weeks of the Emerald finialed 02 with a .8mm Masuyama Cursive Italic and give my thoughts. I also want to post pictures of it next to some pens that I have, because when deciding on it, I wish I had more comparisons to look at. I have a lot of pens, that other people have, so it should be helpful.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hey, first post on FPN, but I've been helplessly addicted to paper, ink, and pens for a long time.

I wanted to say that Franklin Christoph has the Model 02 with a clear section and Emerald Finial, as well as a Cinnmaron (Red) Finial, also with a clear section. They will be officially available sometime in March, but they have been selling them at shows and such. I will post a picture in two or so weeks of the Emerald finialed 02 with a .8mm Masuyama Cursive Italic and give my thoughts. I also want to post pictures of it next to some pens that I have, because when deciding on it, I wish I had more comparisons to look at. I have a lot of pens, that other people have, so it should be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi, six months have passed and still no photos (?) Have you forgotten about us? :)

Edited by Chatsworth Osborne Jr.

Thanks.

I just got an 02 w/ Cinnamaron finial. Love it, but mine came with a black section and barrel. It makes for a lovely understated look without predisposing me to always use red ink like an all over reddish pen would. I loaded it with a sample of Faber-Castell Moss Green which has been really quite lovely.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously considering this pen (or maybe the Black & Cinnamaroon)... in a broad, or perhaps a stub.

Hard to decide.

Edited by RareInk

I have one in the aĺl green color with the broad italic and it is absolutely perfect. It is inked at the moment with FC black cherry ink and I am very happy with the pen and the ink.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I have one in the aĺl green color with the broad italic and it is absolutely perfect. It is inked at the moment with FC black cherry ink and I am very happy with the pen and the ink.

Nice! And isn't that a great ink? I've been writing with Private Reserve Black Cherry loaded in my Parsons Essential Italic today.

Nice! And isn't that a great ink? I've been writing with Private Reserve Black Cherry loaded in my Parsons Essential Italic today.

Yep I am normally a blue or brown ink fan but the Franklin Christoph black cherry is looking really good to me right now.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late to the show, but I will definitely do my best to get my hands on one of these! It seems that the FC website doesn't have them in stock anymore... I guess I'll have to try my luck at a pen show ;)

I really just think that their business model is a bit different that what many may be used to.

The Antique Glass and Italian Ice models are available every once in a while for pre-order and they sell out very quickly. One needs to sign up on for their e-mail alerts and even then, if you don't get the e-mail quickly and get to the site just as quickly..... !

The Ice models are regular production but are very popular and do seemingly sell out quicker that most other finishes.

The also have prototypes at pen shows and every once in a while, a prototype finish makes it to regular production but that is rare.

They seem be be immensely successful with what they are doing right now, so why change it?!

When I (re-)started back in this hobby a couple of years ago, I wanted several things from them and with patience, I've acquired all of them and this without even going to a pen show.

I suspect that there are many more items that I'd want if I were to attend a pen show but for the time being, I'd just recommend signing up for their mailing lists, checking the website *very* frequently and jumping on something that you want immediately.

Also, catch any pre-orders that you can if they interest you but again, this must be done right away, without hesitation.

Otherwise, attending a pen show where they display is ultimately the best option...and do get there as early as possible because I understand that they are immensely popular at the pen shows too!

Despite not being handmade, I've found FC's stock levels to be disappointing. Can understand having to wait months for a custom pen. These aren't custom pens. It's frustrating, and that frustration is compounded by the excellent stock they take to shows but don't see the light of day on their website. At least that's been my experience. Seriously considered one or two models, but every time I've decided to take the plunge... yeah, not available for so many months. Pity really because if demand is that high surely that suggests an expansion to the business is in order.

Despite not being handmade, I've found FC's stock levels to be disappointing. Can understand having to wait months for a custom pen. These aren't custom pens. It's frustrating, and that frustration is compounded by the excellent stock they take to shows but don't see the light of day on their website. At least that's been my experience. Seriously considered one or two models, but every time I've decided to take the plunge... yeah, not available for so many months. Pity really because if demand is that high surely that suggests an expansion to the business is in order.

Hey guys - these do come in and out of stock regularly in all the production color options. But aren't gone for long - usually just a couple of weeks at a time. If you email us, we can put you on a notification list for any production item so you won't have to keep checking back in. We tend to make 50 of each color at a time, and though they are made on CNC, there's still about 17 steps a pen has to go through to be ready for sale, with lots of hands on work. On expansion to the business - we've increased production 300% in 3 years, but demand has matched it. There are the special editions of antique glass and italian ice, that we are now doing on waiting lists 250 at a time. But those do take longer to make and we'd like to keep them the same price, so they're a bit harder to get than the main production colors. Anyway, thanks for the interest and we'll keep on driving the process!

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

I've owned mine, green top model 02 ice for some time now. Masuyama .9mm cursive italic.

Nice sharp nib still going strong. The body is great at not getting scratches. Still looks new.

My 02 Smoke & Ice is great but a bear to clean as stuff gets in the microscopic nooks and crannies in the ice finish if you eyedropper it. It takes a while and I worry about ruining the finish but I think its on there pretty good.

$0.02: What's the point of using this with a converter/cartridge?

I've used a brush that's meant for cleaning a straw to clean it out, with a little dish detergent to really get the ink out, and that works well. Sometimes there are stray marks in the cap and I also use the straw brush (or Dr. Brown's baby bottle brush) to clean it.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I really don't see the value for FC pens. Their steel nibs are a great value, so you're spending a rather large amount of money on a piece of acrylic.

I do love their designs though, and would really like to own one. But so many more amazing pens are in that price range. I still need a falcon and vanishing point.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)