Enhancements/changes To Future Pelikans

Guy007

The M800 Tortoise does have a black chrome plated piston to avoid show through.

Well I'll be, so at least it's possible. I have the Tortoise I just hadn't taken it apart...

I'll have to enquire how much a piston on it's own is. But it will only go with the M800 range due to the double gold band, so no good for M805's

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guy007

• MarkTrain

• inBOIL

• conib

If the M400 pens had screw in pistons, available in brown and white tortoise (also that darker green that was available with the M450), I think Pelikan would have succeeded in creating the greatest fountain pens ever. I don't want metal parts in them. It would make the plastic parts wear down faster. Just one little change is all I ask.

On another note, I actually like the current logo. In fact I prefer over all past logos, except the very first. I think the single chick looks much better than the double commas of yesteryear. It looked like the opened beak of a drowning pelican. It is rather modern looking, but at least now it doesn't look like a murder scene.

I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose it would be better to get rid of the ring at the section. It is the place that gets the most wear and doesn't add much aesthetically to the design.

semi-flex nibs....in having to send the nib of any of the very pretty 600s' off to be made thinner, and semi-flex adds much too much cost to an expensive pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I would like to see every pen in the Souveran range have an easliy removable piston ( threaded ).

+1 make them repairable. not replaceable.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I would like to see every pen in the Souveran range have an easliy removable piston ( threaded ).

+1 make them repairable. not replaceable.

Yes, this would be great, especially on the M600. Doesn't need to be brass, but at least threaded so one can remove it. I also agree with elimination of 18K nibs and the plated trim ring on the section.

The number-one thing Pelikan should do is stop making Mr Blobby nibs and get back - at least - to their old, pre-1997 (so I'm informed) slightly footed, slightly stubbish points.

+1. That and define their EF nib width as something reasonably thin and *consistently* manufacture it to that width.

I'd also like to see an M200 in the solid green of the vintage 120s.

Change the nib grind. Make nibs that write like a FP, not a rollerball.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

So a fancy old style M400

+1

And just say no to plated nibs.

+1

My wish list:

• I would be thrilled to see m4xx demonstrators with threaded pistons that took a range of single-tone non-plated 14k (yellow and white gold) nibs.*
  • And please be sure to remove that metallic trim ring from the end of the section closest to the nib on the m4xx series.**
  • A factory (non-custom) 0.7mm cursive italic (like the Prera's CM nib), offered in stainless steel as well as single-tone non-plated 14k would be great.
  • An option for single-tone non-plated 14k nibs on the m8xx/m1xxx series (for fewer incidents of sprung nibs).
  • A single-tone non-plated 14k nib on the upcoming M101N release.

-- Constance

* made especially for playing with inks -- you can see the ink color in the barrel, the threaded piston means that the pen can be easily and thoroughly cleaned between ink changes, and because it's a demonstrator you can see when the pen is in fact clean.

** a non-plated nib along with the absence of that section trim ring means that iron gall inks could be used without risk of plating loss.

So a fancy old style M400

An 80's-like M400 clear demonstrator with a threaded piston would be perfect for playing with inks.

(But I wouldn't be able to resist adding an 80's-like M400 brown tortoise with a threaded piston to my pen collection. Followed by a green stripe. Then a blue stripe. And a red stripe ...)

-- Constance

a beautiful M800 tortoise in red,like the one suggested for the SE 101N in September. I would love to see it with a 14 K stub nib to offer line variation with a little flex to it. that would be excellent. :D :D

You know what, what I actually want most is steel nib units for the M800. The people buying extra nib units are enthusiasts. Collectors and one-off buyers will obviously get only one nib ever with each pen 99% of the time. It's the hobbyists who buy the extra nibs, and if possible several of them. The prices of gold nibs lead to many people just dealing with their current one or putting the pen away. If they do want to change it, it's cheaper to get it ground by a nibmeister. Didn't Pelikan have to discontinue their more exotic nibs due to lack of demand? If there were cheaper steel nibs available people would be more willing to experiment with exotic nibs and get multiple nib sizes for their pens, compared to barely buying one extra nib unit, if at all, and sweating about it.

Well, what's retail for an M200/205 nib?... (Seems like $30-40 for the M205s on eBay--but i'm not sure how accurate that actually is.) i think if Pelikan DID make them for the M800, i'm sure they'd price 'um way above where they SHOULD be priced ... just because it's a "fancier model" and all that. (Seems to be the way they think.) But i dunno. It's an interesting idea.

You know what, what I actually want most is steel nib units for the M800. The people buying extra nib units are enthusiasts. Collectors and one-off buyers will obviously get only one nib ever with each pen 99% of the time. It's the hobbyists who buy the extra nibs, and if possible several of them. The prices of gold nibs lead to many people just dealing with their current one or putting the pen away. If they do want to change it, it's cheaper to get it ground by a nibmeister. Didn't Pelikan have to discontinue their more exotic nibs due to lack of demand? If there were cheaper steel nibs available people would be more willing to experiment with exotic nibs and get multiple nib sizes for their pens, compared to barely buying one extra nib unit, if at all, and sweating about it.

Edited by inBOIL