• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Inkydinkydog

• torstar

• Lou Erickson

I love it. I use it in my TWSBI Classic with 1.5mm stub (nice blue pen/blue ink thing), my Pilot VP with 1.1mm stub, and my Parker Vacumatic with it's tiny little EF nib. I find that it works well in all these pens and provides amazing contrast and great visual impact. I do, however, need to be very careful with maitenance regarding these three pens and wind up flushing them at least once every other week even though they're all dedicated BSB pens. I've heard all the horror stories and have experienced them myself (melted P51 sac and LAMY feed), but think the ink is worth it. I know some people have very strong feelings about this ink in particular, but I like it and will continue to use it as long as I want to.

I love it. I use it in my TWSBI Classic with 1.5mm stub (nice blue pen/blue ink thing), my Pilot VP with 1.1mm stub, and my Parker Vacumatic with it's tiny little EF nib. I find that it works well in all these pens and provides amazing contrast and great visual impact. I do, however, need to be very careful with maitenance regarding these three pens and wind up flushing them at least once every other week even though they're all dedicated BSB pens. I've heard all the horror stories and have experienced them myself (melted P51 sac and LAMY feed), but think the ink is worth it. I know some people have very strong feelings about this ink in particular, but I like it and will continue to use it as long as I want to.

Repeat 10 more times, and you have the rest of the thread.

I agree about loving the color of the ink, but i find it to be very destructive. I think i'll refrain from using it with any of my more expensive pens.

I love it. I had a Reform 1745 whose piston was busted anyway (but the nib screws out so I can still fill with syringe) and the ink windows on those pens are already blue, so staining worries there. It's now my dedicated BSB pen.

I really like the color. I have used it on and off for a few years. Lately I have not used it. Cleaning is a bit of a pain but I have not experienced any destruction. TWSBI's are great pens to use this ink. I once made a mess with a preppy that leaked with BSB.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I would love it more if it stayed blindingly bright for a long time. Which is sort of silly since I usually use my handwritten notes rather soon after writing them.

You have to love the "in your face" brightness of it.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I love the color but am put off by the maintenance required. I only use it for dip pens and in a Pilot Parallel.

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I use a Noodler's Creaper as a dedicated Bay State Blue pen, i find a flex nib help with any drying out. Anyone else try dedicating a BSB pen?

beautiful to look at but I've put it in 2 different pens and they both siezed on me like finding yourself going 80mph and suddenly running out of oil.

Maybe I'll use it for dipping.

skyppere

Anyone else try dedicating a BSB pen?

A Lamy 2000 with ~1.1 stub and eyedropper converted. Easy to maintain this way.

Greetings,

Michael

Feathers too much for my taste.

x2, I bought a sample to put in one of my ED's and it frustrated me to the point that I flushed the whole thing. Even on Rhodia is feathered quite a bit and the staining is atrocious.

i neither love it nor hate it. but at full strength it's quite the hard starter. diluting helps with almost all the problems (drying, feathering, blindingness...)

BSB is a beautiful, vibrant color. It is best used in a dedicated/inexpensive pen to avoid any issues with staining.

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

Feathering seems hit or miss. Unfortunately, my most-used papers seem to be a 'miss'.

That, and I'm apparently one of the 10% of the population who finds it to be much too purple.

beautiful to look at but I've put it in 2 different pens and they both siezed on me like finding yourself going 80mph and suddenly running out of oil.

Maybe I'll use it for dipping.

skyppere

I also had a problem with BSB seizing! I finally found a cheap pen that makes BSB work like a dream: the Sailor HighAce Neo fountain pen ($16.50 at Jetpens.com). All of the parts that touch the ink are black, so no staining. I have had it inked for a year, and it starts up every time. Also, it never quits writing after a page or two, which it often did in other pens I tried. I refill the cartridge with a syringe. I have probably refilled it 3 or 4 times without washing out the pen, and no problems yet. If you want a good experience with BSB, I can't recommend this pen highly enough. Be aware that if you order this pen, it doesn't come with a converter OR a cartridge. I suggest buying a set of Sailor Jentle blue/black carts. The ink is great, and the carts are made of blue plastic=pre stained. Getting back on topic, I love Baystate Blue now that I can use it with no hassle..

Testing this ink with a Pilot kaküno M nib. Using for 10 days without flushing or rinsing.

I diluted in a 70% ink 30 destiled water.