New Enthusiast Here! - California

Cyclin

Hi there!

My name is Ben and ever since I was a young boy I have always been intrigued by fountain pens. Growing up in a large family in California left very little money for nice niche items and as an adult I am revisiting passions previously barred from me. I'll give a very short backstory, my recent plunge into fountain pen ownership, and a few questions in this post. But first, a small "inky thought." As a forum dedicated to fountain pens I was incredibly surprised to find there are no script font options for posting, that's all.

Short bio, I am in my mid-twenties, am a proud father, and a self-proclaimed "super nerd." Failing to embrace my inherent geekiness in my early years, having seen the treatment meted out by my peers, I was more of a troublemaker when young. Cool clothing, moderately handsome, hiding my dark secret that I was in actuality a tech junky. Years later I embrace it with open arms (though my wardrobe still looks like a high-end gangster's), and am the IT administrator of this company. Graphic design, web design, laser-etching, and networking now consume my day to day job. (I'm a nerd in the off-hours too, but for much cooler stuff. Example; Still so excited about my new router I received, the Asus RT-AC68U. Godly.)

I am an avid collector of high-end personal vaporizers, or as you may know them "e-cigs." That being said, I am no stranger to paying premium prices for quality workmanship, flawless design, and of course the "Limited" aspect. I have even gone as far as doing custom laser etching for other e-cig owners, as well as doing the etching/engraving for some of the mod-makers product runs. (No names listed because this is not an advertisement, its a bio of my interests lol)

Recently I decided I would like to revisit my yearning for fountains, and made an uninformed purchase of a Visionnaire (which I do not recommend by the way, it is a China IPG funded by Kickstarter)

While I was unhappy with the quality of the pen, I feel as though I spent $45 discovering I would like to own/collect high-end fountains. Money well spent I'd say, though God knows I need no more hobbies. After hours of researching late last night and today I have found my way to FPN, and would like to pick your brains a bit. Possibly to make a new "internet home" out of this community. I've soon realized I cannot simply jump in and get everything that is perfect for me on the first go, I will have to complete such a project in steps. I would like to start my search with nibs, then the pens themselves, and finally the wide world of ink.

I currently use a medium nib, but tried a fine a coworker had at his desk. So for now let's narrow my question to Fine point (or comparable, I am also not adverse to custom-made or aftermarket nibs), in 14kt+ gold quality and up. I LOVE the artistic flair given by the engravings on the higher end pen nibs I've seen pictured, and especially like the look of the two-tone nibs (though if this impacts performance that may not be for me.)

So hit me. Intricately adorned, two-tone nib of 14kt gold quality or higher, what am I looking for? Narrowing my nib search should significantly help any fountain pen decision I'll be making I think.

If I'm wrong on anything point it out please, if you have a suggestion I would love to hear it. And yes, the will be the last post I make this size. After this, expect short paragraphs and numerous puns.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyclin

• PAKMAN

• RMN

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ben and :W2FPN:

Ahh, another victim of the infamous Visionaire...

As other victims before luckily you have found your way to FPN

Our collective can advise you about the good and bad sides of various pens, inks, papers and other paraphernalia...

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Welcome and I sincerely hope you enjoy this hobby as much as I have for over forty years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Apologies for the enormous first post. You guys have built a huge community resource here, so I'm still getting my bearings haha.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, Ben !

I enjoyed reading your introduction. So many aspects are similar to my past, forty years ago. I was always a

nerdy kid, who wanted to be one of the "cools". In 2000, the coolest guy was owner/manager of a furniture

store - paunchy , bald, nerdy, and happy. The captain of the high school cheerleaders lamented that those

were the best days of her life. I wanted to cry.

With fountain pens, inexpensive does not equate the "cheap" . I don't indulge in fountain pens for profit

However, I will testify that informed choices can yield great pleasure in possession and use. The learning

part is a lot of fun.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome !

(sorry for font...hit some button which locked me out of toolbar !)

Anyway, the answer to your 'meaning of life' question about "what am I looking for?" is deceptively simple ...what YOU like. Some like one brand, others don't. Some like one type of nib, others some other type. Ultimately, if you can say I like that ; it works for me...you're close to your answer.

The journey is as exciting as the outcome (watching your FP family growing....as you will your own family). If fine nib works for you, good. Does the look, feel, grip, dimensions suit you, or not. Yes, 14kt above nibs are better quality and enhance the writing experience. Stylistic engraving may enhance value...but you have to ask, lovely to look at, but how is it in my hand, if I'm going to write with it.

It has been said that a FP is the tongue of the hand. Of course, the major difference being that we may only have one tongue....but many FP's to speak of. Experiment, and the journey begins !!

thanks & best wishes, Captain Nib

...keep nibbing on...

Don't look down on someone, unless helping them up :D