SweetAvarie

Hello,

May someone please help me identify, and authenticate this MB fountain pen?

I believe it's classic, but on the box it shows "1995 Montblanc" which doesn't seem to add up with the years of a classic pen?

If I walked into a MB store, do you think they'll be able to authenticate it with it being so old? Do they authenticate at all in general? I live many hours away from one, and would hate to show up and get no help.

I would greatly appreciate any help/ advice! :)

**I apologize the quality is wonderful as I'm using a camera phone.

post-110845-0-54733000-1392276573.jpg

post-110845-0-23108100-1392276583.jpg

post-110845-0-55802000-1392276591.jpg

post-110845-0-76297400-1392276596.jpg

post-110845-0-56737700-1392276602.jpg

post-110845-0-73529800-1392276612.jpg

post-110845-0-90023200-1392276619.jpg

post-110845-0-30461400-1392276623.jpg

post-110845-0-56203200-1392276626.jpg

post-110845-0-57949300-1392276629.jpg

post-110845-0-98810300-1392276642.jpg

post-110845-0-85595000-1392276646.jpg

post-110845-0-90233000-1392276649.jpg

post-110845-0-05422400-1392276653.jpg

post-110845-0-85840900-1392276655.jpg

post-110845-0-16357700-1392276663.jpg

post-110845-0-90656200-1392276665.jpg

post-110845-0-90807500-1392276668.jpg

post-110845-0-58254500-1392276671.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SweetAvarie

• fountainpende

• Chrissy

• HermetiC

The ring is not marked with the word "Classic"?

http://iguanasell-pics.com/photos/C466/Montblanc-ClassicBurgundy-Fountain-Pen-MBCLASSICFP-R-6.jpghttp://iguanasell-pics.com/photos/C466/Montblanc-ClassicBurgundy-Fountain-Pen-MBCLASSICFP-R-5.jpg

Hi Sweet Avarie,

I can tell you that the classic style ceased in 2002 .The last model was called 'Classic Generation' to the best of my knowledge. I am not qualified to say if yours is genuine but it does look exactly like the generation except it has on the cap ring 'generation' in lieu of 'classic'

Hi Sweet Avarie,

I can tell you that the classic style ceased in 2002 .The last model was called 'Classic Generation' to the best of my knowledge. I am not qualified to say if yours is genuine but it does look exactly like the generation except it has on the cap ring 'generation' in lieu of 'classic'

Not exactly. The "Generation" was a bit different. It has the word Generation in the ring; and the top of the cap was different, with less inclination, and in black colour, instead of the same colour of the body:

http://www.prelo.es/tienda/images/protaminas2B.jpg

Hi Sweet Avarie,

On reflection and after HermetiC comments I if I were you I would phone Montblanc and arrange to send photos to them. I had a close look at the Classic Generations on ebay (lots) and saw a UK crowd offering the same as yours. My concern is that the difference between that ,yours and others offered the same as yours is that the male thread the top barrel screws into is the same colour as the barrel whereas those others that show the thread is metal ,or in the case of other older classics clear plastic as it is a separate section to the barrels.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all so much for responding! I ended up shipping it to Mont Blanc's service center to get it authenticated. I do own other Mont Blanc pens that I purchased from the boutique so I never questioned those, but because this style was older and I knew I couldn't get them in the stores anymore I went ahead and purchased it online. When I received it something just didn't feel right. Thankfully I followed that feeling "just in case" and sent it out because I just received it back today with a letter stating it unfortunately isn't genuine. I'm super bummed out and simply can't stand people listing it as authentic etc., scamming people basically. It just causes such an inconvenience of having to email customer service and dealing with the whole waiting game of them responding. Anyhow just wanted to follow up with all of you and say thanks again for your time!

Honestly, I don't think that this is a fake. I strongly believe that the guy from the boutique is wrong. At least based on the photos, I cannot see anything that points to a fake. Did the guy in the boutique give you any reason why he/she believes that this is a fake?

I mean ... everything about the pen and also the packaging is just perfect!

I suggest that you send some photos to the Montblanc customer service by email.

Edited by fountainpende

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Honestly, I don't think that this is a fake. I strongly believe that the guy from the boutique is wrong. At least based on the photos, I cannot see anything that points to a fake. Did the guy in the boutique give you any reason why he/she believes that this is a fake?

+1 for this reply. I also believe the guy from the boutique, who said this pen was a fake, is wrong. Everything about this pen and it's packaging screams authentic. The guy has clearly never seen or handled any of the older versions of Mb pens.

If you send pictures to Montblanc customer services and they confirm it is authentic, I hope you advise them what this guy in the boutique said.

+2 for this.

My Website

+4

It looks perfectly legit to me. I think the Classic/Generations has been out of the MB lineup for a while and the C/C pens are most often counterfeited, so I wouldn't be surprised that someone who wasn't familiar with the older pens immediately concluded it was a fake.

Maybe Max or Tom could contribute to this?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, going a little off topic here...this is my first older MB pen so just wondering if any of you know how it's suppose to feel?

I know this probably sounds ridicolous but it doesn't have that same "feel" as the Meisterstück Classique in deep black resin for example. It doesn't feel nearly as.. glossy / luxurious. It feels much more... plastic-y?? Not sure if you can tell by the photos but it's not really shiny. I wish I could find my bordeux/ burgundy MB pen to place it side by side for a comparison.

I know a few people say its legit but the Section the main ( top barrel) screws onto not being clear but the same colour as the barrel concerns me ,unless someone has one and knows its legitimate. I have a classic in burgundy and a 320 and both have clear sections.

Sorry I hope I'm wrong

... but it doesn't have that same "feel" as the Meisterstück Classique in deep black resin for example....

I have the same feeling with a MB nº 32 (1960)

Hope this helps...

Your pen looks right to me

This pen is quite an old version, and was never intended to be anything like a top of the range pen. It was always a lower end model. Maybe that's why it feels slightly different and looks less shiny. Or the previous owner could have done something to it that made it a bit dull.

The screw threads where the section screws onto the barrel should definitely be the same colour as the section in this model.

I'm confident it's authentic. I hope you enjoy using it.

Edited by Chrissy

I'm confident it's authentic. I hope you enjoy using it.

+ 1

I know this probably sounds ridicolous but it doesn't have that same "feel" as the Meisterstück Classique in deep black resin for example. It doesn't feel nearly as.. glossy / luxurious. It feels much more... plastic-y??

This one is easy ... to be honest ... it is plastic and this pen was never marketed as a luxury product. It's a simple every day fountain pen.

Please remember: Until 1991 Montblanc was just one of many pen producers such as Pelikan, Lamy etc. In 1991 Montblanc started to reposition itselves as

a luxury product manufacturer, i.e. they stopped producing all the cheap pens. But never forget, before 1991 they produced everything - from a very cheap school pen to the Meisterstück. Just think of pens like the Carrera pen or the VIP pen ... these are all really cheap pens ... and FAR from being luxury.

Just have a look at some of these pens ... then you know what I mean:

http://fountainpen.de/old-80er-carrera-metal.htm

http://fountainpen.de/old-70-80-slimline.htm

http://fountainpen.de/old-70er-vip-pen.htm

@SweetAvarie

Your pen was a mid range pen, not a pen for kids but also not luxury ... just a good every day pen.

logo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I had the weirdest experience with Mont Blanc Customer Service and just wanted to share.

So I sent the actual pen To Montblanc's "Richemont Technical Center"(Mont Blanc NA 15100 Trinity Boulevard, Suite 300 Fort Worth, Texas 76155)

as instructed by MB customer service to have them authenticate it. The letter they sent back along with the pen reads: "We have examined the item you sent to us recently. We regret to inform you that this item is not a genuine Montblanc product and therefore we are not in a position to service it. We are returning yout item in the same condition in which it was received. We view infringement of our intellectual property right very seriously and we may depending on circumstaces, elect to proceed against the seller and manufacturer of the counterfeit Montblanc item...."

To be completely honest to the best of my knowledge I thought it was authentic, everything from the packaging to the booklet felt looked fine but decided to send it out just in case because I don't like that "feeling" of not knowing for sure.

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS WEIRD THOUGH ....

There was another letter page behind that letter that describes the pen and under description it says: "Authentic FP Classic Bord M18k"

So I call customer service to clear up the confusion.....

and on their end it says it's authentic etc., so I told them about the letter I got. They emailed the Servicing Center that authenticated my pen to confirm with them. They got a response saying it was authentic and they sent out the wrong letter. (I'm wondering how they remember servicing my pen, and how they know for sure it's authentic if the pen isn't right in front of them to examine it again... are they just going off the notes on the computer??)

I received another letter....

This time the letter states it is authentic but dated from last year and I just sent it in this year (did they mix my pen up with someone else with the same pen on their computer?? or was it a typo??)

What do you guys think??? Are the confusing my pen for another?

My main concern is my nib says 14k on it, but on the letter / description section it states "Authentic FP Classic Bord M18k" .... <-- I'm assuming 18k nib???

Any thoughts anybody??? (Regarding comment/ update above) :excl: :)

Edited by SweetAvarie

its an authentic pen ... but ... your experience is truly "weird".

Did they charge you anything for that service?

Edited by fountainpende

logo.gif

I agree that is truly weird.

It looked almost like the person who received it put 2 versions of a letter with it. One saying it was authentic and one saying it wasn't, and somehow after it went to the person authenticating it, both letters were sent out instead of the one that didn't apply being discarded.

I would ask for the correct authentication letter for your exact pen and give them the serial number

Edited by Chrissy