Lamy 2000 - understated but much appreciated

MYU

A Lamy forum. Can I ask if you will all be volunteering to moderate it ;)

I think Lamy's are fantastic pens with excellent backup, but they rarely produce "proper" limited editions. Churning out a different colour doesn't make it an LE as far as I am concerned. I hasten to add that I don't own an LE and the only one that I am likely to own is an orange VP, but only because I like the colour and not because it is an LE.

What is interesting is that this review has had nearly 15,000 views, which is a phenomenal number compared to the others.

Why is it necessary to have 'proper' limited editions to have a forum? Surely the sheer number of (mostly happy) users would be enough to open one.

I would happily devote some of my time to help administer the forum (though I know very little about pens).

Neill

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Juan in Andalucia

• Philip1209

• I am not a number

I think Lamy's are fantastic pens with excellent backup, but they rarely produce "proper" limited editions. Churning out a different colour doesn't make it an LE as far as I am concerned. I hasten to add that I don't own an LE and the only one that I am likely to own is an orange VP, but only because I like the colour and not because it is an LE.

What is interesting is that this review has had nearly 15,000 views, which is a phenomenal number compared to the others.

I agree -- a Lamy forum is too much. I'd think a general German forum would be more appropriate. Yes, we do have Pelikan and Montblanc as separate forums, but folks would know to post there for those pens.

Btw, I hadn't noticed the views count until you mentioned it. It's up to over 17,000--I'm surprised. I guess the Lamy 2000 is still a very popular pen. :) Incidentally, the Lamy Safari review written by Chemgeek now has over 22,000 views. That seems to be in line with how popular that pen is. :D

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I agree -- a Lamy forum is too much. I'd think a general German forum would be more appropriate. Yes, we do have Pelikan and Montblanc as separate forums, but folks would know to post there for those pens.

Btw, I hadn't noticed the views count until you mentioned it. It's up to over 17,000--I'm surprised. I guess the Lamy 2000 is still a very popular pen. :) Incidentally, the Lamy Safari review written by Chemgeek now has over 22,000 views. That seems to be in line with how popular that pen is. :D

17,000 views & 22,000 views -- sounds like a forum to me! :D

Hi,

I feel that the need for a Lamy Forum should be determined by its popularity. I have 5 Lamy pens: 2000, Al-Star, Safari, Joy and a White Studio. I think it is safe to say that Lamy has a following. Its the people's pen!!

Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F

Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

I think a Lamy forum would be an excellent idea. Because people are actually using these pens I think they deserve their own forum. The limited editions may just be different colors, but people use the limited editions right alongside their normal pens. While other manufacturers make thousand dollar limited editions that are works of art, they are treated as such and are not used as writing utensils. Lamy makes limited editions that are used every day without fear of tarnishing them.

Well, here's an interesting twist. Has anyone here tried to write with their L2K upside down?

In my review (over a year ago now--time flies!) I stated how the OM nib is rather wet and that I was going to look into getting it reground. The more well known nib tuners were either featuring a long wait list or priced a bit higher than I wanted to spend. I figured I'd just get it taken care of at the next pen show. Well, bad luck timing at the last two have left me with no change, same OEM nib still in my pen.

Anyway, as I was going through a kick of trying out a few of my pens upside down, I realized I hadn't tried doing it with the L2K. Wow! It really gives some noticeable line variation. Not wet either--more like normal to slightly dry. Fast writing does not induce skipping. The only thing is... the unaesthetic look of the nib being upside down. On several of my pens, I flip over the nib only for a little extra fine writing for accents and light markings. I really like the look of the L2K nib right side up... so, I'm still going to get it reground. However, if you have a Lamy 2000 and you're not adverse to using it upside down, give it a try. You just might be pleasantly surprised. :)

NOTE: A word of caution - the tipping of the nib is iridium, with extremely strong wear resistant properties. The top side of the tip is simply coated with platinum, thus extensive writing upside down could eventually wear away the platinum and expose the gold underneath. Therefore, I'd advise against writing with the nib flipped over for long periods. Thanks to Philip for pointing this out.

Edited by MYU

Question... Do the earliest pen models of the 2000 have just a white dot at the end of the pen barrel (on the piston knob) or is there a black "L" in the white dot?

What are some features of the earliest 2000s made?

George

Well, here's an interesting twist. Has anyone here tried to write with their L2K upside down?

In my review (over a year ago now--time flies!) I stated how the OM nib is rather wet and that I was going to look into getting it reground. The more well known nib tuners were either featuring a long wait list or priced a bit higher than I wanted to spend. I figured I'd just get it taken care of at the next pen show. Well, bad luck timing at the last two have left me with no change, same OEM nib still in my pen.

Anyway, as I was going through a kick of trying out a few of my pens upside down, I realized I hadn't tried doing it with the L2K. Wow! It really gives some noticeable line variation. Not wet either--more like normal to slightly dry. Fast writing does not induce skipping. The only thing is... the unaesthetic look of the nib being upside down. On several of my pens, I flip over the nib only for a little extra fine writing for accents and light markings. I really like the look of the L2K nib right side up... so, I'm still going to get it reground. However, if you have a Lamy 2000 and you're not adverse to using it upside down, give it a try. You just might be pleasantly surprised. :)

But the other side doesn't have the iridium point, meaning that the metal of the nib is being worn. Eventually, the platinum could be worn away to show the gold.

Question... Do the earliest pen models of the 2000 have just a white dot at the end of the pen barrel (on the piston knob) or is there a black "L" in the white dot?

AFAIK, the oldest have a silver disc with the black "L" for Lamy on the barrel end. Then later on, they switched to just a plain silver disc. I've not seen a recent production model, but I suspect it is still the same. Some earlier models had imprinting in the Makrolon on the side of the piston screw part, showing the nib size. And I believe I spotted one with "Lamy" or "Germany" imprinted in the cap (can't recall exactly). On the clip, earlier models had a hard plastic "pip" on the underside of the bottom end, instead of the fully shaped metal. There was also "W.GERMANY" printed on the underside of the clip. A few subtle little changes, but the pen remains pretty much the same from 1966 to the present day.

But the other side doesn't have the iridium point, meaning that the metal of the nib is being worn. Eventually, the platinum could be worn away to show the gold.
Good point, Philip. I can see doing it once in a while, but not making it a regular practice for that reason. I'll update my post about that. Thanks. Edited by MYU

AFAIK, the oldest have a silver disc with the black "L" for Lamy on the barrel end. Then later on, they switched to just a plain silver disc. I've not seen a recent production model, but I suspect it is still the same. Some earlier models had imprinting in the Makrolon on the side of the piston screw part, showing the nib size. And I believe I spotted one with "Lamy" or "Germany" imprinted in the cap (can't recall exactly). On the clip, earlier models had a hard plastic "pip" on the underside of the bottom end, instead of the fully shaped metal. There was also "W.GERMANY" printed on the underside of the clip. A few subtle little changes, but the pen remains pretty much the same from 1966 to the present day.

Good point, Philip. I can see doing it once in a while, but not making it a regular practice for that reason. I'll update my post about that. Thanks.

Mine (bought this summer) has the plain disk on the blind end, no nib size indication (to my recollection, can't check right now), "LAMY" on the side of the clip, and "GERMANY 2" under the clip. Yes, in small cap italics just like that. And while the "W. GERMANY" imprint showed only the letters, on mine the text is in a recessed rectangle (cheaper stamping/engraving technique, I suspect).

I wonder if the "2" indicates a second production facility....

Good point, Philip. I can see doing it once in a while, but not making it a regular practice for that reason. I'll update my post about that. Thanks.

Ooh, cool. I contributed to the review! Thanks!

This has been a great thread. Does anyone know of a thread or link to a 2000 "101": Detailing the versions and history of the Lamy 2000?

We need another LE Lamy 2000 soon.

Edited by SteadyHand

This has been a great thread. Does anyone know of a thread or link to a 2000 "101": Detailing the versions and history of the Lamy 2000?

I've not found one, but there are a couple of other Lamy 2000 reviews on FPN that share some good info and opinions:

-----Review- By AndyHayes

-----Review- By Apollo

-----Review- By acj27

-----Review- By aarrestad

-----Review- By davidmigl

-----Review- By goodyear

-----Review- By nimrod

-----Review- By MYU [you're in it!]

-----Review- By Shelley

I wonder if there will ever be a LAMY history book... or a German pen history book with an ample section devoted to LAMY.

I wrote to the LAMY corporate office in Heidelberg about a possible future limited edition of the 2000, maybe in 2016 for the 50th anninversary. They said there's already been one (in 2000) and they've no plans to do another. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2066 for the 100th anniversary. :lol:

Edited by MYU

I've not found one, but there are a couple of other Lamy 2000 reviews on FPN that share some good info and opinions:

-----Review- By AndyHayes

-----Review- By Apollo

-----Review- By acj27

-----Review- By aarrestad

-----Review- By davidmigl

-----Review- By goodyear

-----Review- By nimrod

-----Review- By MYU [you're in it!]

-----Review- By Shelley

I wonder if there will ever be a LAMY history book... or a German pen history book with an ample section devoted to LAMY.

I wrote to the LAMY corporate office in Heidelberg about a possible future limited edition of the 2000, maybe in 2016 for the 50th anninversary. They said there's already been one (in 2000) and they've no plans to do another. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2066 for the 100th anniversary. :lol:

Myu, thank you very much for the feedback. I cant believe you called Germany. If anyone has or knows of anyone selling a Lamy 2000 LE please pm me. I will definitely be waiting until 2016 (Ouch!) for the next LE. Again, thanks.

Regards,

David

Myu, thank you very much for the feedback. I cant believe you called Germany. If anyone has or knows of anyone selling a Lamy 2000 LE please pm me. I will definitely be waiting until 2016 (Ouch!) for the next LE. Again, thanks.

Regards,

David

I think biffybeans has a Lamy 2000 in the marketplace.

Juan in Andalucía

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd post on here that I just stumbled across the best price I've ever seen on a 2000 at $89- it's at pengallery.com, and it appears to be a short term offer. I haven't dealt with the company before, but I just thought I'd throw this out to potential buyers.

(I have no association with the company)

Dang it Phillip. I think you've just cost me $89 (plus shipping).

Well, I just got paid for something, and I've been dying for a 2000.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k459/the_hoobit/Signature.jpg