Lamy 2000 - understated but much appreciated

MYU

I have emptied the pen and cleaned it (plain old water). The problem is the nib is so wet it is dropping ink into the cap. When I open the cap, the ink droplets are collecting around where the cap meets the pen (the silver area). So the pen is not "leaking from the seam, rather droplets from the nib are collecting in the cap and there is nothing really "wrong" with the pen.

If anyone is interested in the pen, it is a new (less than a month old) F nib Lamy 2000 I paid $100.00 for. I comes with the box, manual, etc. Let me know.

I need another pen!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• Juan in Andalucia

• Philip1209

• I am not a number

I have emptied the pen and cleaned it (plain old water). The problem is the nib is so wet it is dropping ink into the cap. When I open the cap, the ink droplets are collecting around where the cap meets the pen (the silver area). So the pen is not "leaking from the seam, rather droplets from the nib are collecting in the cap and there is nothing really "wrong" with the pen.

If anyone is interested in the pen, it is a new (less than a month old) F nib Lamy 2000 I paid $100.00 for. I comes with the box, manual, etc. Let me know.

Sounds like the pen is either faulty or an o-ring has gone missing. If you took apart the pen to clean it there is a small chance that the o-ring fell out, which will allow air in and the ink to flow freely out. Since it's so new you really should contact the seller or Lamy as they will fix it up for you, most probably for free.

Thanks for the excellent, in depth review. The Lamy 2000 just made my list of pens to save up for, of course I've not yet received my first fountain pen yet, but hey it's good to have aspirations, right? The vintage modern styling will work great if I end up writing while sitting on my Eames plywood lounge chair :thumbup:

At a rough guess, I calculated we had completed half of our galactic revolution: I had only to be patient, the second half always seemed to go by more quickly.

Miles S,

I can personnally attest that, in terms of furniture, it goes well with pretty much anything designed by Marcel Bruer or Le Corbusier too! ;-)

Steph

• 1 month later...

The best 2000 review on the net so far. Informative, detailed,

with comprehensive historical detail and photographs.

• 2 months later...

Hi MYU, I read your review on Lamy 27 and Lamy 2000. Do you think Lamy 27's ink window is better than the 2000? The 27 nib seems less hooded. Does it allow a softer touch? I am wondering if it is a better buy for a NOS 27 of about 50-60 dollars than a 2000 of 90-100.

Just got mine today...absolutely love it so far and looking forward to using it tomorrow at work! It is indeed an extremely wet and abundant writer.

I suppose I'll post in here because this seems to be a hotbed of L2K discussion.

I recently bought an L2K F-nib off an American website (mentioning it to add to the discussion about the geography/quality debate, though it was around $100). I must say that I love the design of the pen, the filling mechanism, etc, but I find the smoothness a little to be desired. Its an odd pen. Every once in a while I'll find this little sweet spot and it glides effortlessly (I sort of have to turn the pen to the left slightly). Unless its in that spot though I have to say that its smoothness in the glide department leaves a bit to be desired (also, quick strikethroughs to the right really dont work well. Catches quite a bit and not very much ink comes out). I have a Safari with a M nib and I think it may actually glide a bit smoother. I'm aware that M nibs probably have an easier time but I just wanted a little more competition than ambiguity since the L2K costs a few times more than the safari.

Anyhow I noticed something about my pen and I wanted to know if its normal. The very tip of the nib usually has a little rounded section as per usual. Mine seems to have two or something. Now I'm not sure if a glob of tipping material is placed at the end of the nib and then smoothed in the manufacturing process. Mine seems to have had that twice. Though I'm not an expert on pen manufacturing. I just got into this racket a couple months ago and am still learning.

Here's some pictures.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8317/nib1.jpg

If you follow the tip on the left tine downward you can see a half figure 8 pattern on the end of the nib.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3231/nib2.jpg

Highlighted to show what I'm talking about. The top bit of the figure 8 is on top of the bottom rounded section. Its been smoothed down that its barely noticeable unless you hold it in certain lights when it becomes quite noticeable.

So is this normal for an L2K F nib?

Edited by LesOeufs

It's not supposed to have that. You also look like you have a slight tine misalignment which would explain your smoothness issue. I would suggest trying to align them yourself if you know how, or maybe send it off to Lamy for a nib replacement. If you mention the defective nib, it may only cost you postage and $7.50.

I've taken long looks at the nib with a magnifying glass and I've never noticed it misaligned. If you look in those pictures though I've got it tilted very slightly to the left which may make it look misaligned. Or maybe its exaggerating existing misalignment.

Thanks for letting me know that the nib tip is not as it should be. Is it wrong to think the smoothness issues may be produced by the production error?

edit: just looked on the underside very carefully. It also has two different bits on the bottom, just like at the top with a slight ride in between them. I wonder if this is whats holding it back. Thinking I should get in touch with Lamy for a replacement

Edited by LesOeufs

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot for the nice review. I was wondering if I should try an OB nib and decided against it in the last minute. I have bought a couple pens from Melpens and the experience has been very good as most people declare. I have ordered a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib a day ago from Mel and am eagerly waiting to try it.

I was in Modena, Italy in September and thought I should buy an Italian make pen while there. I purchased a Visconti, Rembrandt with a steel nib for 95 euros. Pretty expensive I thought! It came in a nice leather finish box with a bottle of Black ink. I am quite pleased writing with it. Will someone please tell me if I did the right thing!

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for the nice review. I was wondering if I should try an OB nib and decided against it in the last minute. I have bought a couple pens from Melpens and the experience has been very good as most people declare. I have ordered a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib a day ago from Mel and am eagerly waiting to try it.

I was in Modena, Italy in September and thought I should buy an Italian make pen while there. I purchased a Visconti, Rembrandt with a steel nib for 95 euros. Pretty expensive I thought! It came in a nice leather finish box with a bottle of Black ink. I am quite pleased writing with it. Will someone please tell me if I did the right thing!

Thanks again.

Hello! I think you will certainly enjoy your new L2K. Regarding the Visconti, I have a Van Gogh with a steel nib and it writes very well. The nib units are threaded and can be easily interchanged. My steel nib writes as well or better than a 14K unit so, I think, you did all right purchasing your Rembrandt.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 1 year later...

I recently had an opportunity to take a Lamy 2000 for a test drive, and was impressed by how simple and well designed it is. I'm hoping to get one for Christmas, very nice pen.

I used money given to me for my birthday to order a Lamy 2000, with a fine nib, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I've been using it for about 3 weeks, and it's a lovely pen. I would like to try the extra fine at some point, as I do like a very fine point for general writing.

It was a combination of this very thorough review, then trying out the pen at Pen Friend on Fleet Street and not wanting to give the pen back to the shop assistant!

Instagram @inkysloth

I just wanted to say that I have just had a nib switched out by Lamy (in US) for $20 plus postage - they will do this as long as your original nib is in good condition. If you want to buy a new nib from Lamy and have them install it, it will cost you $70 plus postage.

Question... Do the earliest pen models of the 2000 have just a white dot at the end of the pen barrel (on the piston knob) or is there a black "L" in the white dot?

What are some features of the earliest 2000s made?

George

There was a black L in the white dot.