Vintage 149 Or A 75Th 149 With Mop

dmvara

So I am new to this forum and I am debating on whether to purchase a vintage 149 or a 149 75th 1924. I understand the vintage ones were better made compared to the modern ones so I guess does this hold true for the 75th one as well? Is it just a decked out 149 in a modern and not as durable body like the vintage ones produced way back when. Just looking for honest opinions. What would you buy? Thanks so much for shedding light on my question.

:yikes:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmvara

• Blade Runner

• jslallar

• BMG

I would chose a vintage MB 149. The 75th Anniv. version is overpriced and like any other normal 149 that you can buy at a MB Boutique, only blinged up.

So I am new to this forum and I am debating on whether to purchase a vintage 149 or a 149 75th 1924. I understand the vintage ones were better made compared to the modern ones so I guess does this hold true for the 75th one as well? Is it just a decked out 149 in a modern and not as durable body like the vintage ones produced way back when. Just looking for honest opinions. What would you buy? Thanks so much for shedding light on my question.

:yikes:

Do you have (or have you tried) a modern 149? Generally speaking (and IMHO of course), I don't think a modern 149 is any less durable than a vintage 149, but the writing experience is a lot different due mainly to the nib. Whether you will find this better or not depends on your expectations, which in turn depend on your 149 experiences so far...maybe you can elaborate here?

I would chose a vintage MB 149. The 75th Anniv. version is overpriced and like any other normal 149 that you can buy at a MB Boutique, only blinged up.

Yes and no: you're right that the 75th anniversary 149 is no different in size or construction (and likely writing experience) than a regular 149 but the rose gold and MOP star does make it stand out. FWIW, I like the MOP star but maybe that's just me...

How vintage are we talking? 1950's 149? If that is the case, 1950's 149 hands down! 1950's 149---Telescopic filling mechanism, wonderful nibs, very cool silver rings on cap and made of celluloid as apposed to "precious" resin.

I would choose the vintage celluloid 149 for the reasons noted by Sblakers. I have a modern and vintage 149, but the vintage one gets more use!

Mark

I would prefer a fifties 149 over the 75th, which is a normal nineties 149 with some extra bling. The only advantage the 75th has over the vintage: servicing can be done an Montblanc and parts are less scarce.

If you can- I would buy both for different reasons.

As stated above, a vintage 149 definitely has a different feel on paper compared to moden ones due mainly to its nib, however I personally prefer the look of the 75th anniversary model. There is just something about the MOP star and rose gold accessories that make it pop!!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like when it comes to both of them it's a matter of form versus function. The 75th has a lot of bling and looks stout, but if I am looking for strictly function then the vintage seems the way to go. Hmmm. Maybe both would be worth buying, but that would leave a big hole in my pocket!! Lol

I would prefer a fifties 149 over the 75th, which is a normal nineties 149 with some extra bling. The only advantage the 75th has over the vintage: servicing can be done an Montblanc and parts are less scarce.

I agree on this point as well that a vintage pen is tougher to get serviced because of the scarcity of parts. Perfect example happened recently to me when I took my Leonardo sketch pen to the boutique for servicing because I had dropped it on the point and broken the internal mechanism. I totally regret doing so because it was a the more rare version with the flat side that kept it from rolling. Well when I got it back they had discarded the outer body with the flat side because the part was no longer available. I was very disappointed with the service and expressed my concern to the manager saying that service department should have informed me that body was no longer in production and should have gotten my permission first before they proceeded with the repairs. So let this be a lesson to all. Eeek.

I'd go for the vintage (50's) but it would not be something I would use as an everyday writer due to it being a bit more difficult to get serviced/repaired. My modern 149 (90's) I use as an everyday but it is not rare or particularly special and that's perfect for an everyday writer.

I think the 75th is pretty. True, it is a "blinged up" 149, but that MOP star is just lovely. You might be able to come by one used at a more reasonable price. For something special though the vintage 149 would be my choice.

Or.... save up and eventually get both. :)

I'd go for the 75th anniversary as it is more special but a vintage 149 is very nice too,especially if one of the oldest in celluloid with ski slope feed

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

75th vs Vintage

More bling and looks, prestige vs no bling, less on looks and lesser gold visible.

Service cheaper and more accessible vs more expensive and lesser accessiblity (the owrd cheap is used in comparison becaue we know that nothing about MB is cheap per se)

Firmer nib, wonderful if you prefer them vs softer nib, more character and line variation if that is what you want.

More show off value in a party vs more show of value in a pen show.

In short entirely your choice. Both are beauties and keepers

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 5 months later...

A 60's-70's mb 149

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

As someone else said, depending on what vintage 149 you're looking to get and in what condition... You're looking at a price difference of about 400% or more...

Keep that in mind.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

My opinion is it depends on your level of obsession? Will you be able to control yourself to purchase one or the other? Because if you wind up with both I suspect the sooner you purchase the 75Th the less you will pay for it. If on the other hand you have enough self control to just have one, I'd propose the 75th because of its better bling. Bear in mind I was sharing with you my thought process as I think I'd settle for just one as MB is not a collection item for me.

Edited by jebib