a.zy.lee

I'm thinking about buying a Faber-Castell Ambition (black), but I'm a bit skeptical. Please help if you own one. There seem to be some unclear issues:

1. Does the resin body crack when screwed too tight? This seems to only be a problem with the black version, as the others have metal threads.

2. Does the the cap stop clicking in place? I read a review that said after 2 months the cap wouldn't click to the body

3. Is the grip section uncomfortable? It looks like it is.

Also, how would it compare to a TWSBI 580/ Classic? Help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UK Mike

• WriteAway

• jjyoung

• owend

not sure a out cracking, but they have some very tight caps, haven't heard of the cap issue until now. its much thinner than twsbis. the grip section is TINY. ie. the step will have probably dig into your fingers. that bothers some people but not others. I did not buy it because of the small grip however.

I have a loom, not the Ambition. I can attest to the cap being very tight on my pen and it has not loosened after continous use of close to a year now.

I've seen several people mention "the step down" on the Ambition, but that should not be an issue.

The section on an Ambition is internal and never meant as a place to put your fingers, The design is to hold the pen by the body.

My Website

I've seen several people mention "the step down" on the Ambition, but that should not be an issue.

The section on an Ambition is internal and never meant as a place to put your fingers, The design is to hold the pen by the body.

+1

The section is so short that unless you usually hold your pen really close to the nib, you'll end up gripping the body of the pen anyway.

Jar has hit the nail on the head - the section of the Ambition is so small that you would be crazy to consider using it as a grip. The barrel is a nice diameter and a very comfortable pencil grip. The small section can make ink changes a messy business however.

In 2 years use, I have had no cracking issues on my black resin version, nor is there any problem with the cap - it is all as good as the day it was bought. Nice smooth nib as well.

Compared with the TWSBIs I would put the Ambition as more durable and classier, with a minimalist design. If you post the cap then note that this alters the balance quite a bit. My Ambition nib is nicer to write with than my TWSBI as well.

TWSBIs of course have piston fill if that is important, and you can see through them - if you need that facility?

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

No cracking or loose cap issues on mine. As others have pointed out, the metal section isn't for gripping, rather you grip the barrel. My fingers tend to overhang the end of the barrel and I'm conscious of the edge, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable. The wooden barrelled versions have a more rounded edge and I find it better. Lovely smooth nibs on both of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the black resin Ambition, but I haven't owned it that long (8 months) to notice anything untoward. It is as perfect as the day I got it.

I also hold mine on the barrel, (not the tiny section) and that is perfectly comfortable to use for long periods. Mine is a Fine nib and it is just wonderful to write with. It is exactly the same, high quality stainless steel, nib as used on the more expensive Ondoro, which persuaded me to get an Ondoro, in oak. The Ambition is a very nice, well made pen.

B2

I have had a black medium for nearly two years in regular rotation. The cap still clicks and there are no cracks. I agree with UK Mike, using bottled inks is a messy business but the nib is very smooth. The section or lack thereof is another matter. I grip the barrel and it does not bother me at all. Same for one of my daughters. My other daughter however simply can not abide it. So good for some or most buy bad for at least some people.

I have the pearwood Ambition, in Fine. It looks good and feels great - solid and bombproof. You naturally hold it on the barrel, not the section; I find it good both posted and unposted, although it's slightly back-end heavy when posted. For refilling, the section unscrews easily, you just have a smaller area to hold to unscrew it, and then refilling is simple and clean.

Cap still perfect after six months, my only gripe is that I find the nib slightly scratchy - it doesn't catch, but it sounds on many papers. It's a good starter and puts down a lovely moist, consistent line though, so I put up with the scratchiness!

• 2 weeks later...

I can quote a forum member Gf1911 from July 2012 regarding an Ambition in Pearwood:

"I have received a reply from Faber-Castell Germany : this pen was made in Germany.They told me that while they do have production units in several countries the premium pens are still made in Germany.
The Pearwood and Coconut in "Gift Box" sets are made in Germany, and the finish is checked by hand, and if there are any fixes to be
done they are also done by hand there before shipping."

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I can quote a forum member Gf1911 from July 2012 regarding an Ambition in Pearwood:

"I have received a reply from Faber-Castell Germany : this pen was made in Germany.They told me that while they do have production units in several countries the premium pens are still made in Germany.

The Pearwood and Coconut in "Gift Box" sets are made in Germany, and the finish is checked by hand, and if there are any fixes to be

done they are also done by hand there before shipping."

Thank you Mike. They have started selling the Ambition at Staples.com, and I'd like to get a German-made pen, rather than a Chinese version, if at all possible.

Thank you Mike. They have started selling the Ambition at Staples.com, and I'd like to get a German-made pen, rather than a Chinese version, if at all possible.

TTBOMK the Ambition was only made in Germany and Brazil.

My Website

• 1 month later...

I have a Fine Point Ambition in Pearwood. Agree about the cap. It's easier to remove it one-handed, or else you look ridiculous when the cap finally releases and your hands fly apart.

This is the 2nd Ambition I've owned (the first one somehow disappeared at work). The first one I had wrote beautifully and started easily, which is why I bought another as a replacement. This new one is a very slow starter, and is constantly a nuisance. I'm thinking of sending it somewhere to get the flow worked on. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed in it.

I'd like to modify my above comments. I seems that the 2 inks that I've been using may be impacting the performance. I gave the pen another good cleaning and then inserted the cartridge that came with the pen. It seems to be performing much better now. The inks I was using before was Pelican 4001 Brilliant Black and Mont Blanc Midnight Blue. These inks seemed to work find with my previous Ambition, so I don't know what the difference is. Your mileage may vary.

My Ambition is a very reliable starter even after a week or so not being used, and lays a very consistent, slightly moist, line. I store it on its side - I found it could be a dry starter when stored upright (although not every time). It's currently running on Diamine black ink, but to be fair I haven't noticed much if any difference between Diamine, Lamy or Quink.

I don't know about on the Ambition, but the grip/section part did crack on my BASIC A few days ago I noticed and I only had the pen since April 2nd.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1398385605__faber_crack.jpg

Also I'm not one for over-tightening threads, many of my pens would be broken if I did. I only tighten enough that it stays on and not wiggling from looseness.

I am using a black resin Ambition almost daily since more than ten years without problems. It is the only permanent pen in my rotation. You have to really abuse it to damage it.

As far as the grip is considered, this is a personal preference, just try it before buying.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway