Bottles That You Will Never Finish

Bigeddie

I use a lot of MB Royal and Midnight blues, I can get through a bottle of each in about 6 months, I can get through a bottle of Sailor Jentle Blue quite quickly, MB Jonathan Swift too... these inks seem to have their place in my array of uses. Other colours I have more of a problem with; It might be a colour that I like bit I just can't quite find a use for.

Diamine Oxblood, Monaco Red, Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite.

I like these reds, but I just don't use very much red. When I mark up I tend to use greens because I sometimes write with them and always have one to hand, or a particularly zingy blue.

Pelikan Edelstein Saphire, Herbin Belu Neut and Eclat de Saphir, Pelikan Royal Blue and blue-black.

I just have a lot of similar colours, I like all of the above but struggle to find a place for them amongst my regular blues.

I'm sure there are many more, but Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite would have to be my favourite ink which sees almost no time in a pen.

What do you have, and like, but struggle to use? What is the one ink in your collection that you would not want to loose, but only very rarely gets used?

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ravantra

• snowcandy

• mirosc

It would have to be Noodler's Apache Sunset. I love the shading but it just isn't a color I use much. Once in a while when I am writing a letter and want something different I will put it to use.

I don't like all three of your reds. I have them but now ignore them. Too muddy, no character, nothing special. No pizzazz.

I hate my Abraxas inks because I hate the company.

But, as usual in life, this could change, someday.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

My color inks are the ones which won't get used up. Black zips through my pens quickly. Color inks are not as versatile as the black.

It was actually this realization that made me quit buying colored inks. I want a few for variety, and I want a red for correcting papers, but otherwise, a big collection of inks is a waste of money for me.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

For me it is black ink, never use the stuff. I probably have 6 bottles, 3 that came with pens and have never been opened (and may never be opened).

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I use nearly all the inks that I've bought myself. I learnt a long time ago what inks suit me, and to resist the pretty colour in the fancy bottle, or the ink with "magic properties" that was over-hyped.

I do have some inks that were gifts that I don't use; these are bright greens, yellows and pink (yuk)

The only mistake I've made recently was buying Diamine Salamander. I thought it would be right up my street but it's muddy and dull and reminds me of ditch water. I fell for the "new colour from Diamine" buzz. I'll be giving the bottle away at some stage.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

It would be Noodler's Black for me...I love the properties, don't really mind the smearing...but I just don't like black inks...too somber.

Also, there's Pelikan Blue-Black, love the color, love the water resistance, but I simply can't find the right pen for it. My pens are either too dry (relatively speaking...the ink is very dry to start with) and the line is very pale, or too wet (a 1.4mm Greg Minuskin stub...ultra wet) and it just lays too much of it on paper. Right now I'm waiting for my Broad Lamy 2000, which will hopefully be the 'right' pen for this ink.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I never use black. I was going to come here and say Tanzanite since I usually only put that in problem pens...because I forgot I had Quink Black that came with a pen. Holy (bleep). Haven't even opened it.

Sailor Jentle Blue. Love the color, love the red sheen, love the smoothness, love the look on the page. But in every pen I've tried it in, the ink has always been a hard starter. Then it's difficult to flush from the pen.

Edited by ttakacs

Noodler's Heart of Darkness an Mont Blanc black. Blacks are just boring. Life's to short. The MB is from sometime in the 1980s. The HOD is 4 1/2 ounces and gets used by the milliliter for mixing. Either these will go bad someday or my daughter will inherit them.

But I may change my mind someday

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I thought I'd never finish an 18-year Ardbeg, but it is sadly getting down towards the bottom.

Oh, sorry...

Montblanc Ghandi. Given as part of a gift/trade, I just don't have much use for a saffron yellow ink. I include sample vials of it when I sell/give someone a pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Caran d'Ache Saffron.

I like it and it complements green notes so well but hardly ever gets used nowadays though.

(Bought it to replace my cloggy Diamine Orange - which I wouldn't mind losing)

Private Reserve DC Supersow Blue. Nice color and a wet ink. In fact, I can't get the stuff to completely dry, like for hours on multiple types of papers.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Noodler's Ink- Empire Red. I thought it was going to be a regular red, but it ended up being more pink than red.

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

Private Reserve DC Supersow Blue. Nice color and a wet ink. In fact, I can't get the stuff to completely dry, like for hours on multiple types of papers.

I have the same problem with PR Chocolate, in fact add that to my list!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I have the same problem with PR Chocolate, in fact add that to my list!

Now that you mention it, I also noticed PR Chocolate had this problem when I tried it in carts a couple of years ago.

I have to add PR Gray Flannel to my list. I wanted a grey ink and got a grey green.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I have a bottle of Montblanc Mystery Black that I know I will never use since I don't use blacks anymore unless forced for legal reasons. I have several bottles of Noodlers that I wont use ever again because I found them too troublesome and there is no real legal issue that dictates my using them.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?