Tomoe River Paper A4 Sheet Review (Handwritten; Pictures)

Hello! This is a review of Tomoe River Paper It is my very first paper review, so I hope I'm addressing every possible issue. It is available from Jetpens.com (No affiliation) $15 for 100 sheets. My girlfriend was kind enough to buy some for me to try out. The following is my handwritten review and it's transcription:
Overview:
Under Warmer Lighting:
The Pens Used (In No Particular Order, Capped):
DSCF6598 by makey95, on Flickr
(Ordered Left to Right and Capped):
DSCF6601 by makey95, on Flickr
Pens and Inks:
Pen No. 1: Pick Pen Company; Pencil Pen Combo; Fine 14k; Diamine Monaco Red
DSCF6595 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6588 by makey95, on Flickr
Pen No. 2: Ranga; Ranga with Eversharp Flex; Flex Fine 14k; Diamine Monaco Red
DSCF6596 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6589 by makey95, on Flickr
Pen No. 3: Pilot; Parallel Pen; 2.4 mm Steel; Private Reserve Shoreline Gold
DSCF6597 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6590 by makey95, on Flickr
Transcription:
Initial Observations: The paper is extraordinarily thin and has a very pleasing texture.
Feathering/Bleedthrough: No noticeable feathering or bleed through but a fair amount of show through. May be annoying to some.
Tactile Feedback/Drag/Toothiness: Very smooth but slightly more feedback than Clairefontaine.
Unusual Dry times: Takes as long as Clairefontaine generally.
Appearance/Design/Durability. Though thin, it feels durable and it looks lovely.
Fountain Pen Friendly?: Yes!
Other Media: _X_ Pencil X?_ Watercolour _X_Markers _X_India Ink
Value/Comparison: A viable alternative to Rhodia, 15 cents a sheet. Definitely one of the best papers I have used.
Overall Conclusion:Recommended for those who like this paper and don't mind a little show through. Smooth, lovely, and attractive. I will use this as stationery.
Other Media Tests:
DSCF6591 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6592 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6593 by makey95, on Flickr
DSCF6594 by makey95, on Flickr
Final Words:
I really enjoyed this paper and I think it looks nice. Flex writing can deform the paper a little (where the tines dug in shows) and of course wetting the paper also deforms it slightly. It is prone to creasing. I am not sure if the watercolors would work very well, but I have put samples up so that others may judge for themselves. I don't think it would be a good idea to try and do anything wet on wet with watercolors on this paper. Not shown in this review are some of the cheaper pens that I used on a previous sheet of Tomoe River paper. It's not just the fountain pens I used for this review that make the paper seem smooth. Other than the permanent marker, there is no bleed through at all on this paper.
I think everyone should at the very least have a chance to try this paper. It's very different from Clairefontaine in a good way.

The closest thing that I have ever encountered to this paper are some old memo pads from my High School, which the librarians were kind enough to give me.

Edited by Aurko

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aurko

• inkypete

• kenhsv

• 85AKbN

Thanks for the great review. I agree with your findings. Wouldn't it be great if we could have this sheet in an 80gsm. Perfect!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I honestly enjoy the thinness of the paper. While that would be excellent as an option, I like this paper as is. It feels special. I'm glad the review was adequate.

I honestly enjoy the thinness of the paper. While that would be excellent as an option, I like this paper as is. It feels special. I'm glad the review was adequate.

Better than adequate - you did a fabulous review. Keep it up.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I wish I had ordered from Jetpens. I ordered from Japan and ended up with an ENORMOUS amount of paper... I'll never use up all that stuff. It is quite nice though, and I've been able to share with friends. I guess I'll take up home journal making. I've been watching you-tube videos so all my FPN friends beware --- guess what you'll be getting for Christmas next year?

It's funny because I find myself wishing that I ordered from Japan. I want more of this paper, and it seems as though it's very suited to some of the crafts stuff that I do, and it looks very nice on cards that I end up making for friends and family. As it is now, I'm very hesitant to use the paper because I don't think I have enough. I try to make every sheet count since I probably won't be able to afford much more any time soon. With how I use up paper, doodling and scribbling, calligraphy practice, crafts (cutting it up/folding it/pasting it), I can get through a Rhodia pad in two or three weeks.

I used a sheet to make some paper roses, though I didn't take any pictures of them before sending them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because I find myself wishing that I ordered from Japan. I want more of this paper, and it seems as though it's very suited to some of the crafts stuff that I do, and it looks very nice on cards that I end up making for friends and family. As it is now, I'm very hesitant to use the paper because I don't think I have enough. I try to make every sheet count since I probably won't be able to afford much more any time soon. With how I use up paper, doodling and scribbling, calligraphy practice, crafts (cutting it up/folding it/pasting it), I can get through a Rhodia pad in two or three weeks.

I used a sheet to make some paper roses, though I didn't take any pictures of them before sending them.

If you'd like to have some more, PM me and I'm sure I can spare some. I know I have cream, but I'm pretty sure I also have some white. I have some I haven't opened yet. Like I said, I have more than I can imagine I will use...