Jinhao T1 - A New Lamy Safari Knockoff

subbucal

I saw these on eBay today and came here looking for more information. Are they really all of metal construction?

From the pictures it looks like there may be two different varieties. There are those that have no ink window and nib that is plain and flat on top (reminds me of the aesthetics of pilot varsity actually), in the pictures the color of the pen is not the same as the inside of the body. Then there are those (such as the orange one discussed above) that have have an ink window and show a more typical jinhao nib and the inside of the body is also the exterior color.

One thing I like about all of the Chinese pens I have is that they all have a friction fit nib and feed. This makes them easy to clean out and also allows me to replace the the nib if I want (#5 or #6 depending on the pen). I wonder that that is the case with these 599/T1s? Particularly the flat looking nibs make me question whether you would actually be able to replace it with a different nib.

Edited by vossad01

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Dickkooty2

• Sailor Kenshin

• Mark Karpeles

I too wonder about how the 599's nib is removed and also if it will accept nibs intended for the Lamy Safari. I would certainly appreciate hearing from one who has any such knowledge.

You have a red one about five-six pens up from where the corner of the pen stand comes closest to the line of pens on the desk.

T

You have a red one about five-six pens up from where the corner of the pen stand comes closest to the line of pens on the desk.

T

Correct. :) Actually there are three other T1's adjacent to it! Though it's impossible to tell from the picture because the clips are turned away from us. There's a black one next to it just beyond, and a gold and a blue next to it on this side.

The orange one appears different than my green one.

The orange one has the ink window, and the word Jinhao is cast or machined into the barrel

My green one has no window and the Jihhao is printed on

A sub variant??

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

There are two versions of the 599. One version is metal and has no window while the other is plastic and very Lamy-like, with a window. I have both version and am very fond of them!

I saw these on eBay today and came here looking for more information. Are they really all of metal construction?

From the pictures it looks like there may be two different varieties. There are those that have no ink window and nib that is plain and flat on top (reminds me of the aesthetics of pilot varsity actually), in the pictures the color of the pen is not the same as the inside of the body. Then there are those (such as the orange one discussed above) that have have an ink window and show a more typical jinhao nib and the inside of the body is also the exterior color.

One thing I like about all of the Chinese pens I have is that they all have a friction fit nib and feed. This makes them easy to clean out and also allows me to replace the the nib if I want (#5 or #6 depending on the pen). I wonder that that is the case with these 599/T1s? Particularly the flat looking nibs make me question whether you would actually be able to replace it with a different nib.

Depends on the model number I think.

From what I've seen

599 = Seems to be plastic body, open nib style

699 = Seems to be a metal body, open nib style as well

T1 = didn't see one on ebay

611 = a Metal version (I own one) that is a hooded nib with a 'thinner' body than the 699 (edit: 611 seems to have two versions, thin with a hooded nib, and perfectly round barrel, and 611 regular with a flattened edge on barrel with a open nib)

Edited by KBeezie

I received the 599 today or at least that is what the seller said. When you unscrew,it seems to be a very thin metal (brass) with plastic threads. The cap is also the thin metal but the grip seems to be plastic and it is a different shade of blue (somewhat lighter).

It was packed with almost Goulet quality which led to much fun watching my 16 yr. old daughter unwrap it. She got an orange one.

Under the Mercy

Interesting. I just looked at my daughters orange pen. It is solid plastic. The nib is different. It is the same nib on the sonnet and duofold copies by jINHAO.

Under the Mercy

Interesting. I just looked at my daughters orange pen. It is solid plastic. The nib is different. It is the same nib on the sonnet and duofold copies by jINHAO.

The trend I'm noticing is depending on the seller the 599 and 699 seem to be sold interchangeably. Seems to be similar with 611 and just 611 "thin", but least the 611 I have actually says "611" on the metal barrel. (Btw I have a 611 available in my Pay-It-Forward post in the PIF 2014 thread)

Mark,

I take your point on Jinhao selling to the taste of the Chinese consumers. And that Bling and Heavy may be attractive characteristics. I just don't happen to like Bling and Heavy. Of course, if their manufacturing and marketing costs are all met and carried away by sales to that market, any sales outside (after postage) fall through to the bottom line. Thus the low price to us. Not to mention the much lower labor and qc costs in the first place.

My point is, and I knew I had one in here some where, that far from feeling as you describe:

Its existence (the 159) shows how overpriced Western pens are. It has a pleasant heft. Machined brass and nice glossy black lacquer. What you hate about it, perhaps, is that it proves you can buy 90 percent of the essential "penness" of an MB 149 for 0.00765 of the price. If I owned an MB 149 that's how I'd feel.

I am further repelled by their product rather than looking askance at traditional manufacturers and their pricing.

I know I like the classic models. Lets suppose that the dozen 159s you bought set you back $100 ( $9 and change@). I would rather spend $100 on a used Pelikan 140 with a gold nib.

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/ScreenShot2014-03-24at61728PM_zpsa5b29c8b.png.html?sort=3&o=1

As a separate thought: China and India are the hot markets for writing instrument sales with their growing middle classes and huge populations. It will be interesting to see how the Newell Rubbermaids of the main line manufacturers in China meet that pricing and design challenge.

Edited by Dickkooty2

I know I like the classic models. Lets suppose that the dozen 159s you bought set you back $100 ( $9 and change@). I would rather spend $100 on a used Pelikan 140 with a gold nib.

Though normally you wouldn't be paying normal price per, and $9 is a domestic price for the most part for something like the X750, X450 and 159. Normally when you buy a pack like 6 or a dozen, you can get it down to less than $5 per, and most of the time people do that with the intention of picking the best one (ie: in terms of quality control) and re-selling the rest at a rate of $9 or more as domestic sellers, as some people prefer to buy from someone locally rather than from China. The 6x Jinhao X750 I have on the way were 28$ with free shipping (they should be here tomorrow as the China Post Tracking showed them in Illinois last night).

But I agree, if I was setting out to spend $100 on a bunch of the same pens for keeps, I would rather spend that hundred on a single pen of value, depending. (Or get some ink I been wanting to get). Just not everyone of us have the income to just spend $100 down on a pen, and are more than happy with our $10 purchase.

Edited by KBeezie

Guest Ray Cornett

I am not one to be fond of the paperclip clip design at all but I know someone who bought 3 of the Jinhao knockoffs and loves them.

Mark K ...

PS ...

" you can buy 90 percent of the essential "penness" of an MB 149 for 0.00765 of the price. If I owned an MB 149 that's how I'd feel. But this bitcoin debacle has set me back and I can't afford one."

I suggest a merger of Mt Gox and Mountblanc : Mt. Blanx.

"I am sorry your pen is so heavy. I thought I filled it with Bling-Lite"

Edited by Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2, a "Pilot NAMIKI Custom HERITAGE92 #5 FM nib Transparent" with a gold nib is on its way from Japan and expected in under ten days. It will be my first gold nib pen.

I am currently investigating the feasibility of installing gold nibs on Jinhao pens, I like them so much.

*********** Where's Waldo ***********

http://s2.postimg.org/8kdcqfy1l/alittle1.jpg

You mentioned the Pelikan brand favorably. One Pelikan worth a dozen Jinhaos or something. I have not tried mine yet and cannot comment. See if you can find it in this lineup.

I suggest a merger of Mt Gox and Mountblanc : Mt. Blanx.

Mr. Dickkooty2 -- Your humor at my expense is cruel. I want to put those sad events behind me. I am retreating from public life to spend more time with my fountain pens, particularly my Jinhaos. I would appreciate it if you would respect my privacy and not bring it up again.

… Just one more, Mark:

I am currently investigating the feasibility of installing gold nibs on Jinhao pens, I like them so much.

Mark. Earlier post above.

"So here's the deal. We melt the Bitcoins down into pen nibs, slap 'em on the Jinhaos, and import them ourselves into the US at $8.87 a shot including postage. We get the gold! No one will notice because the Jinhaos are so heavy and bling anyway!"

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/cvb_zpsae8ed226.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Dickkooty2, a "Pilot NAMIKI Custom HERITAGE92 #5 FM nib Transparent" with a gold nib is on its way from Japan and expected in under ten days. It will be my first gold nib pen.

*********** Where's Waldo ***********

http://s2.postimg.org/8kdcqfy1l/alittle1.jpg

You mentioned the Pelikan brand favorably. One Pelikan worth a dozen Jinhaos or something. I have not tried mine yet and cannot comment. See if you can find it in this lineup.

The second one looks like a Nemosine Singularity.

Interesting to see Chinese pens take a new direction. I've always thought they tended towards Montblanc (huge numbers of 149 and Starwalker clones), but now they seem to be eyeing up a quite different German brand as their model.

Whereas the Indian manufacturers seem to prefer copying Pelikans!

I wonder why they're just introducing these Lamy-a-likes? Is it just a fluke or might we see a real seachange in the Chinese market? It would certainly be interesting to see what they make of the Studio and the 2000... though I suspect the Lamy Lady has more appeal to the Chinese market :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Dickkooty2, nice photoshop. You have mad skillz.

The second one looks like a Nemosine Singularity.

KBeezie, that's correct. It may be possible to find the Pelican by a process of elimination.