Jinhao T1 - A New Lamy Safari Knockoff

subbucal

Mine got here today. Nice smooth writer.

The funny thing was I had ordered a pair, roller and fountain, and I ended up with two fountain pens!

Brass lacquered barrel and cap makes the pen heavier than the Lamy original. I am a bit concerned that the pen might be less durable because of it, but right now they look great!

Also the brass barrel means no eyedropper conversions. You'll still have to buy a roller ball barrel and seal the end if you want a eyedropper Safari looking pen.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Dickkooty2

• Sailor Kenshin

• Mark Karpeles

Mine got here today. Nice smooth writer.

The funny thing was I had ordered a pair, roller and fountain, and I ended up with two fountain pens!

Brass lacquered barrel and cap makes the pen heavier than the Lamy original. I am a bit concerned that the pen might be less durable because of it, but right now they look great!

Also the brass barrel means no eyedropper conversions. You'll still have to buy a roller ball barrel and seal the end if you want a eyedropper Safari looking pen.

Just for my information, how does the ink affect brass barrels, negating making into an eyedropper?

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

Just for my information, how does the ink affect brass barrels, negating making into an eyedropper?

Most ink is either alkaline or acidic. It will cause corrosion with reactive materials such as copper alloys, (such as brass). I think it would even react with ph neutral inks, simply because they are mostly water. It's the same reason most nibs are made of stainless steel, gold or some other non-reactive metal.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

Is the grip section polycarbonate?

I have a Lamy Vista, and do not use it as much as it deserves because I don't like the feel of the polycarbonate it's made from.

Regards,

Richard

I'm not sure, it is an injection molding, (you can see the parting line). Can Polycarbonate be injection cast? In either case it is made from a smooth hard opaque plastic, so it may not suit you.

I'm not sure, it is an injection molding, (you can see the parting line). Can Polycarbonate be injection cast? In either case it is made from a smooth hard opaque plastic, so it may not suit you.

Though it is certainly plastic, the feel and look are exactly like the barrel and cap. It appears and feels exactly like the lacquered brass, at least on my pen.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

After reading this thread, I ordered an Apple Green from the 'bay. I've always had pretty good luch with Jinhao pens, so I hope this continues the trend.

Mine arrived from Poky today. They look pretty nice and the fit/finish is fair. As mentioned above the grip section is synthetic, while the body is brass. The balance of the pen is not very good for that reason, and it would be out of the question to write with this posted. Uncapped the pen weighs in at 13g vs. 9g for the uncapped safari.

Very early impression is a positive. At $8.50 with a converter and 5 ink cartridges it's a deal for a smooth writer.

I ordered the orange on March 9 and received it today March 17th! It being St Paddy;s Day, I didn't rush around wearing an Orange pen.

The price was $5.59 with postage but no cartridges, just the converter. I filled it with Noodlers Apache to be consistent, It writes well out of the little black plush bag. It has a tad of flex noticeable to the cognoscenti … I wrote "hello" as shown on TV.

I like the clip! I have sent the all-black matte Safari's to my twin grandsons and my doctor. I notice the difference in the feel of the cheap orange plastic but at $5.59, this is one heck of a pen!

Edited by Dickkooty2

Stumbled on this thread.

Was wondering, does the nib fit on a Lamy Safari or Vista? I kinda prefer the spade shape than the arrow shape.

EDIT: subbucal told me it can't =(

Edited by Tenkai

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

I've looked on ebay and cannot find an orange one! Very jealous, that orange is gorgeous

I only have a few Chinese pens, mostly ordered because of an interest in the design and the presentation. Except for this Jinhao which I feel has a life of its own as a valid product apart from the Lamy resemblance, I find my self caught in the Singing Dog cliche. Too heavy, too cumbersome.too lacking in subtlety. Bling without basics.

Here is how some very few look to me. I'm mostly amazed that they can sing at all.

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/chinabadgood_zpsfb840449.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1

I only have a few Chinese pens, mostly ordered because of an interest in the design and the presentation. Except for this Jinhao which I feel has a life of its own as a valid product apart from the Lamy resemblance, I find my self caught in the Singing Dog cliche. Too heavy, too cumbersome.too lacking in subtlety. Bling without basics.

Here is how some very few look to me. I'm mostly amazed that they can sing at all.

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/chinabadgood_zpsfb840449.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1

I on the other hand have bought many Chinese pens, including a dozen Jinhao 159's because the first was such a pleasant surprise, and I know whereof I speak concerning them. Their "design and presentation" are perfect -- for the Chinese market. Their desire for inexpensive bling gives us in West the opportunity to satisfy pen appetites we never could have if we had been limited to the overpriced Western manufacturers who still think they can charge an arm and a leg for a pen just because it's a fountain pen.

The pen you rated lowest, the Jinhao 159, writes phenomenally well with no tuning needed.

http://s4.postimg.org/m8dx3nd7x/DSCF0462.jpg

Its existence shows how overpriced Western pens are. It has a pleasant heft. Machined brass and nice glossy black lacquer. What you hate about it, perhaps, is that it proves you can buy 90 percent of the essential "penness" of an MB 149 for 0.00765 of the price. If I owned an MB 149 that's how I'd feel. But this bitcoin debacle has set me back and I can't afford one.

Jinhao does not do presentation. Three of the five pens in your lineup are Jinhaos. I'm sorry you had to buy three of them to learn that. For extreme presentation that is superb in the Chinese market, you want the Duke brand, unrepresented in your sample.

Finally may I say that the "bling without basics" charge is unjust or inapt. Basics for a fountain pen is how pleasantly it writes, and there Jinhao excels.

*********** Where's Waldo? ***********

By the way, since this is a Jinhao T1 thread, I should have mentioned that besides the dozen 159's I have bought six T1's. Blue, black, gold, pink, green, and orange. Can anyone find a T1 in my photo? :mellow: