Jinhao T1 - A New Lamy Safari Knockoff

subbucal

Recently I came across this New Jinhao Model which is designed after the Lamy Safari model. I have seen the Hero replica but first time in a Jinhao Model.

The pen is a lookalike, but there are salient differences.

The Nib is much better looking & writes smooth. Nib, is not callibrated, so M is the only option.

The Clip is flattened in stead of a wire type.

No ink level view window (means can be used as a ED!!)

Converter is similar, but has a black piston.

Its a full metal pen & not a ABS acrylic.

Hope you find the pen interesting...here are some pictures..:-)

The pen alongside the Lamy Safari

post-78981-0-19511200-1391929085.jpg

Both Pens opened, note the similarity & difference in nibs

post-78981-0-54621500-1391929136.jpg

Both pens opened & dismantled, note the metal O ring in place of a plastic one

post-78981-0-28784800-1391929196.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Dickkooty2

• Sailor Kenshin

• Mark Karpeles

I give Jinhao credit. They made enough changes so that no one would describe them as making a fake Safari. Some of their changes may even be an improvement for their market, e.g., eliminating the ink 'porthole' so that now their product conceivably can be adapted for use as an ED pen. Too bad Hero just wanted to go the fake route.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I give Jinhao credit. They made enough changes so that no one would describe them as making a fake Safari.

You read the title of this thread, right?

Where do I find this pen?

EDIT: asked what the pen was called after I made fun of a guy for not reading. D'Oh!

Edited by Funkmon

Is that you Mr. Subramaniam?

Are you listing it on your site asapens.in ?

The FP definitely looks very interesting

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

There are certainly plenty of similarities, and I'm trying to decide if there are enough of them to keep me from buying the pen and I think the answer is no, there are not. The triangular grip section does not bother me because Jinhao uses a similar section on the 450 and there are other manufacturers also use something similar, so I see it as less of a blatant ripoff than as an extension of something they were already doing. The lack of an ink window and the prominent Jinhao printed on the barrel also mark it as different. The metal ring vs. the Lamy o-ring are also quite different visually. The clip is different and I actually like it better than the Lamy. I can't tell from the photos how similar in shape of the pen bodies are, but the fact that the Jinhao is metal whereas the Lamy is plastic clearly differentiates them. So what does that leave us? A black fountain pen that is similar in size and at first glance looks very similar to the Safari, but is different in almost every respect.

The metal clip and the metal o ring definitely looks classy. But being a metal barrel can it really be used as ED?

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Recently I came across this New Jinhao Model which is designed after the Lamy Safari model. I have seen the Hero replica but first time in a Jinhao Model.

The pen is a lookalike, but there are salient differences.

The Nib is much better looking & writes smooth. Nib, is not callibrated, so M is the only option.

The Clip is flattened in stead of a wire type.

No ink level view window (means can be used as a ED!!)

Converter is similar, but has a black piston.

Its a full metal pen & not a ABS acrylic.

Hope you find the pen interesting...here are some pictures..:-)

The pen alongside the Lamy Safari

attachicon.gifT1-01.JPG

Both Pens opened, note the similarity & difference in nibs

attachicon.gifT1-02.JPG

Both pens opened & dismantled, note the metal O ring in place of a plastic one

attachicon.gifT1-03.JPG

Interesting, but the all-metal body rules it out for me. I'm simply finding metal pens too heavy and cold for me these days.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I've googled...what is an ED pen?

Eye Dropper.

Not sure if metal-bodied pens make the best candidate for eyedropper conversion.

This may have "similarities" to the Lamy Safari, but I do not see it as a knock-off. What Hero did, now that is a shameless knock-off.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

I have been writing with this pen since last couple of days..

The writing is amazing...kudos to Jinhao...

I will post a writing sample sometime, as what I have written is more of scribbling...but am impressed ...

I will post a writing sample sometime, as what I have written is more of scribbling...but am impressed ...

Would love to see the samples and hear a fuller review. I just ordered one, $10 shipped to the US! If it lives up to hopes, it will become my new "give away" pen.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

This may have "similarities" to the Lamy Safari, but I do not see it as a knock-off. What Hero did, now that is a shameless knock-off.

It's a knock-off alright. A couple of minor changes do not really count.

I have two on the way from ASA with a few other pens mixed in. I hope I like It so I can use the other as a PIF.

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I've just ordered two T1's from Asapens and am wondering if the nibs are interchange able with the Lamy Safari or the Lamy-like Hero 359. Also can anyone, who has experince in ordring from Asapens, tell me how long it took to recieve delivery in the U.S.?

Al in Philadelphia

Pokydady, has these on fleabay, a fountain pen and roller ball for $15 shipped from Hong Kong. They are calling it a Jinhao 599.

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I picked up two of the $7 offerings from ebay, opted to steer clear of the rollerball. Looking forward to trying them out, I have liked my other Jinhao offerings.

I got mine in the mail today. It is beautiful and, unfortunately, writes much smoother and more reliably than my Lamy. I plan to use it at work (shortline RR, outside in the weather) for a month and see how it holds up. If it does well at all, it will be hard to justify Safaris as give-away pens. I paid $10, shipped, from India and it arrived in about 2 weeks.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]