Platinum Preppy Eyedropper Idea - Plastic Plug Stopper

WirlWind

Hey guys, I just came from another thread where someone did a review of the Preppy after they glued the body on and instead filled the eyedropper by a small hole + syringe after taking the nib off and that made me think about alternative designs that don't require the silicon grease.

This is all just theoretical and I don't own a preppy myself at the moment (I gave mine away to a friend who was fountain-curious).

The reason for this is someone in the same thread also mentioned the ability to toss a Lamy nib on the preppy, but that it was very hard to get back out again. I wouldn't mind doing this mod for myself, but I can't be arsed with the re-applying of grease every few fills.

So the idea would be to glue / waterproof the threads where the barrel screws on.

Then, using a saw and a file, take a little off the very end of the barrel, leaving it open. Use the file to smooth it out and make it flush.

I've roughly guesstimated the opening would be about 10mm (which equates to 3/8ths of an inch, according to the interweb).

The idea is then to friction seal the end with a small plastic cap:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Plastic_Flush_Type_Hole_Plugs_p/pas1302-100.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/9wsnr.t9nao/v/vspfiles/photos/PAS1302-100-2.jpg?1391549283

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-NPT-Male-Thread-Plastic-Oil-Plug-Yellow-5-Pieces-/230917449481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c3c0a709

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEwMFgxMTAw/z/FvYAAOxy-sRSX-X7/$(KGrHqR,!nYFJPFq3okfBS(-(6oyU!~~60_57.JPG

If you can find a cap size that would fit tightly enough, yet have a little lip over the barrel, you could potentially get an ink-tight seal that could be removed and then replaced for filling. Or if the screw in type work, then that would be even better. Maybe the plastic could be heated and moulded around the screw in yellow type.

Just throwing random ideas around, as I said, I don't have the resources atm to try this out for myself. But if anyone with a preppy and plenty of time on their hands wants to give it a go, let me know how it goes.

Alternatively, you could drill a smaller hole in the side of the barrel if you could find a smaller plug, that might work better as you could suit the hole to any plugs you could find off hand.

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• WirlWind

• Steven

• frolland

I think the problem you'll find with this is that when you remove the plug to fill the pen, the ink will just run out the nib. You can probably fill the pen faster than it will leak out, but you'll have to be real careful not to make a mess.

Although... I'm not so sure, Mafia Geek. The Preppy does have a pretty decent inner cap seal. depending on how good it is, you could potentially leave the cap on, turn the pen nib down, then fill from the proposed barrel port. We're on the same wavelength, OP! I've never actually gone though with it myself though (I was thinking along the lines of a pair of presta valves behind a blind cap personally).

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I think the problem you'll find with this is that when you remove the plug to fill the pen, the ink will just run out the nib. You can probably fill the pen faster than it will leak out, but you'll have to be real careful not to make a mess.

I can second this. It is simple physics. You need the vacuum to prevent the ink for running out of the nib. If you ever have a pen that uses a piston filler one sign of wear is that ink drips out of the nib.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I can second this. It is simple physics. You need the vacuum to prevent the ink for running out of the nib. If you ever have a pen that uses a piston filler one sign of wear is that ink drips out of the nib.

I think the cap on the preppy has an airtight (or at least pretty damn tight) seal with an inner cap that's spring loaded.

That should contain any serious mess, but hopefully, the feed will take a little while to fill so maybe you could be done and re-capped before anything started pooling.

Alternatively, the side port option should be a little less leaky, since you could fill it lying flat on its side and gravity would be less forceful on the ink. Would just have to make sure to put the port on the same side as the nib, so it wouldn't start leaking until the very end. That plus less gravity pushing ink out the nib would hopefully be enough to contain it for a reasonable time.

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

• 2 months later...

If you test it out as Flounder or Mafia Geek says, you will see that the cap is full of watter after you puncture the cartridge. The nib will not hold the ink without the vacuum that is created inside an intact cartridge or container.I have done this experiment and the ink will flow out. . The best way to make an eyedropper is to find one pen that has a plastic barrel, no holes and a good deep screw. with a little of silicon grease applied.

That will work. I have done this experiment with a Parker 45 (plastic). Unfortunately you cannot see the ink inside like the Gama pens from India., eyedroppers which barrel is transparent.

Edited by frolland

I will be interested to see the test results. Myself, something that looks like that says "Danger - Massive Messiness Will Ensue" as I can be somewhat kutzy with things with caps like that.

I do love my ED's though.