Visconti Steel Nibs

Lady P

Hello Visconti fans,

I had a quick question: are all Visconti steel nibs the same? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there's any difference between Rembrandt and Van Gogh in terms of writing performance, or if the only differences are aesthetic. (This is pretty important since Van Gogh is nearly twice as expensive as Rembrandt!)

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the Van Gogh that's currently readily available in a number of online pen stores, and is (I think!) still in production. I believe Visconti has discontinued an older version of Van Gogh.

I'm asking because, let's face it, I'll probably be buying a Visconti pen some time in the not too distant future, even though I arguably have more pens than I know what to do with. :rolleyes: As evidence for my assertion that a Visconti pen purchace is imminent, I submit the fact that I spend way, way too much time looking at photos of various Visconti pens on the Internet. :blush: Ah, well. Can't deny those pens look gorgeous... :wub:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikehodgman

• Lady P

• RMN

• Llewellyn

Well the nibs certainly look the same. But as to whether they use the same one on the production line, I'm not sure. But I have several of each and they all write well. I'd go for the Van Gogh because I prefer the styling anc colours but they are both really nice pens and I think you'd be happy whatever one you decide to get.

As an aside - if you're in Australia and looking for one of the older Van Gogh's then Peters of Kensington have some at a very good price

Thank, Llewellyn! I agree, van Gogh looks nicer. But it's twice as expensive! But it's so much prettier... :wub:

Anyway, I'm in France. If I buy a Visconti, I'll probably order from the Writing Desk (in England). Yes, there are places that offer better deals, but the Writing Desk will test a pen before mailing it, and Visconti is not exactly known for superb quality control. From reading reviews, I got the impression that Visconti pens are wonderful as long as you don't get a dud. ;)

I only cleaning out my Rembrandt & Salvador Dali this morning and the nibs, chrome grip & feeds look identical in fact I was able to interchange them with no problems.

The Dali has the same faceted body as the newer VanGoghs with different resin colours & patterns and metal work (clip & cap band).

The same can also be said for the new Michelangelos & Unita d'Italia too but with 14K gold nibs. All have magnetic caps.

The nibs used in these pens are smaller than those found in the VanGogh Maxi from Peters of Kensington.

Edited by Bogon07

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Yes, I confirm that small steel nibs are always the same: for the new Van Gogh and the Rembrandt.

Same size and model, but 14 Kt gold nib (recently substituted by palladium) for the Michelangelo, the Medium size Divina Black, the Medium size Homo Sapiens Steel, and maybe a few other models.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

thanks Susanna.

That is interesting about the medium DivinaBlack & HS steel using the smaller nibs too .

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

Yes, I confirm that small steel nibs are always the same: for the new Van Gogh and the Rembrandt.

This is interesting to me, since I've found out of four Rembrandts, only two were decent starters though even they needed a little boost after sitting a few days. On the other hand, both of my Van Goghs start up instantly after several weeks of sitting. (I know, I know... how good I let those bits of loveliness sit so long?!)

While I know both have steel nibs, their performance in my house is markedly dissimilar.

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Just to clarify, once any of the four Rembrandts get "reactivated", they are very fine, smooth writers. :)

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if these nibs are German made or does Vosconti make their own nibs?

Bock

They make the new tubular nibs in house, but the rest is outsourced.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That's a bummer. It looks different though, maybe it is a fairly unique Bock? Trying to find a way to justify buying a Van Gogh with a steel nib. If it's a fairly normal steel nib then, man! That is a tough sell. It is a gorgeous pen, but is it 5 times better than a $50 pen with a nice steel nib? Hmmmmm....

That's a bummer. It looks different though, maybe it is a fairly unique Bock? Trying to find a way to justify buying a Van Gogh with a steel nib. If it's a fairly normal steel nib then, man! That is a tough sell. It is a gorgeous pen, but is it 5 times better than a $50 pen with a nice steel nib? Hmmmmm....

What's wrong with Bock? Better a good outsourced nib than a crappy in house nib.... Not that I would want to imply Visconti in house would be crappy, but I mean as a principle...

D.ick

~

~

I've got 5 of the current Van Gogh range and 3 Rembrandts. They all have steel nibs and there's nothing wrong with any of them. They all write beautifully.

Visconti's are great pens - try one

What's wrong with Bock? Better a good outsourced nib than a crappy in house nib.... Not that I would want to imply Visconti in house would be crappy, but I mean as a principle...

D.ick

Nothing! I was just hoping for something a little more unique. BUT! I actually just read another thread that helped clarify it for me. I guess I assumed that all the manufacturers that use Bock nibs had mostly the same type of nib with just cosmetic differences. From what I read here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/49644-bock-nibs-for-whom-do-they-supply-nibs/

that is not true at all. They are a unique steel nib made by Bock, but with Visconti specs. Can anyone clarify if that is basically right???

YES. Bock (and JOWO etc) make generic nibs sold to people turning their own pens, but for the large companies they make nibs to exact specifications.

The Visconti Palladium nibs are unique to Visconti, but Bock-made. Likewise Conway Stewart is the only brand having three factory italics.... Bock-made....

D.ick

~

~

YES. Bock (and JOWO etc) make generic nibs sold to people turning their own pens, but for the large companies they make nibs to exact specifications.

The Visconti Palladium nibs are unique to Visconti, but Bock-made. Likewise Conway Stewart is the only brand having three factory italics.... Bock-made....

D.ick

Thanks RMN!! That helps clarify a lot.

D.ick

OMAS are another good example. They buy their nibs from Bock, yet their nibs still have a unique feel.