Namiki Maki-E Pine Tree Bonsai Fountain Pen Review

Susan3141

I bought my Namiki Maki-e Pine Tree Bonsai fountain pen from Classic Fountain Pens. It was among their "previously owned" pens, and I snatched it up after being very disappointed by the Pilot Falcon Resin I had bought a few weeks before.

post-83574-0-24574200-1391810040_thumb.jpg

This Namiki came with a medium 14K nib that I had reground into an italic stub. Obviously, a Japanese medium isn't going to turn into a big italic with lots of line variation, but I definitely love the line I'm getting. My writing always benefits from an italic nib no matter what the size.

post-83574-0-50555700-1391810034_thumb.jpg

The pen itself is gorgeous, with a gleaming black surface adorned with the Maki-e decoration. You can feel the Maki-e with your fingers, and the pine tree bonsai motif is beautiful yet subtle. The pen is comfortable in the hand and just the right weight for me (14mm x 142mm; 18 grams).

post-83574-0-53653000-1391810043_thumb.jpg

The Namiki comes with the Pilot Con-70 converter which holds a good amount of ink (1 ml). I was disappointed with the tiny amount the Pilot Falcon held. With the Namiki converter, you can pump a sufficient amount of ink into the pen to last for days. And it is a pump converter, which I discovered only after several futile attempts at twisting the knob! I had to do a Google search and watch a video to learn that I was doing it wrong. Sigh.

post-83574-0-00654500-1391810033_thumb.jpg

I have nothing negative to say about this pen. It writes beautifully thanks to the nib work done by Classic Pens. It sits perfectly in the hand and is neither too heavy nor too light. It exudes quality (unlike the Falcon)—it doesn't feel plasticky at all, but substantial. And it is gorgeous. It is on the costly side (you can find this particular design on eBay, but Namiki apparently no longer carries it). I personally never buy anything from eBay, and I probably paid more because I bought it from Classic Fountain Pens. But I trust them and know that I'm getting the real deal.

post-83574-0-52137900-1391810038_thumb.jpg

I love my German Pelikans, but Japanese pens (Nakaya, Namiki, Platinum) are quickly out-numbering all my other fountain pens. Something about the quality and aesthetic draws me to these pens.

Fountain Pen Network Rating System:

Appearance and Design: 10

Construction and Quality: 10

Weight and Dimensions: 10

Nib and Performance: 10 (I don't know what the nib would be like right out of the box since I had my nib reground).

Filling System and Maintenance: 10 (Once I figured it out!)

Cost and Value: 10

Conclusion: 60/60

post-83574-0-07725200-1391810036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Susan3141

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Susan3141

• Moshe ben David

• Montblanc owner and lover

• perth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pen! Use it long and in good health!

I tried clicking the link to Classic Pens in your post. All it did was bring your post back up B)

Can you provide an URL for them? Thanks

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Very very nice,always love reviews of maki e.....You're not alone to have got that with the Con 70 i was trying to turn it too ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Sometimes when one sees that kind of artistry and craftsmanship together, it's easy to get lost in the beauty that surrounds us and that we, in cases such as this, can actually hold in our hand.

Not sure how this question may sound and - "When you are using this particular pen, does it have a special feeling to or influence on you and your writing?"

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Beautiful pen! Use it long and in good health!

I tried clicking the link to Classic Pens in your post. All it did was bring your post back up B)

Can you provide an URL for them? Thanks

I fixed the link: www.nibs.com

Sometimes when one sees that kind of artistry and craftsmanship together, it's easy to get lost in the beauty that surrounds us and that we, in cases such as this, can actually hold in our hand.

Not sure how this question may sound and - "When you are using this particular pen, does it have a special feeling to or influence on you and your writing?"

I like your question, though I'm not sure I can answer it adequately. I do feel something with each pen I use. My Japanese pens, including this one, give me a sense of calm. That may seem weird, but there's something about Urushi and the warmth and careful attention to beauty that makes writing with these pens a unique experience. I sense that I am writing with a piece of art and that the pen is more than just an instrument, it is music.

I have the same model under the Pilot brand. This product class uses the resin for the barrel instead of brass. So, the weight is lighter. The nib size is Pilot #5, instead of #10 for the Brass body Makie models.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4624_zps83c70def.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4625_zpsb1d61a24.jpg

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I fixed the link: www.nibs.com

Thanks.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

This Namiki came with a medium 14K nib that I had reground into an italic stub. Obviously, a Japanese medium isn't going to turn into a big italic with lots of line variation, but I definitely love the line I'm getting.

Thank you so much for posting!

When you say "italic stub", do you mean he did his standard "stub" grind on this nib, or something between his "stub" and his "cursive italic", or ...?

-- Constance

Thank you so much for posting!

When you say "italic stub", do you mean he did his standard "stub" grind on this nib, or something between his "stub" and his "cursive italic", or ...?

-- Constance

They call it a "midi" I think (at least that's what I call it). So, it's between a cursive italic and a stub. The stub takes the sharp edges off the italic.

I have the same model under the Pilot brand. This product class uses the resin for the barrel instead of brass. So, the weight is lighter. The nib size is Pilot #5, instead of #10 for the Brass body Makie models.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4624_zps83c70def.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4625_zpsb1d61a24.jpg

very nice collection. i have that same smoke-black custom 92 but it certainly can't beat that maki-e red fuji. that one is real nice. i have one that comes with blue fuji and sea/ocean on the maki-e painting.

-rudy-

I looove your collection! Do you accept to gift it to me? ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.