Salix Mixed With Scabiosa!

doctorpepe

Not sure if I should post this here or start new thread, I did this ink mix but I changed it slightly. It's almost 50:50 Salix:Scabiosa (a little more Salix since I eyeballed it.) But the change was I added soap suds to it. From a youtube of someone adding soap suds to help flex pens not "pop" the bubble/preventing railroading. I did the same because the ink is fairly dry to begin with. The interesting part was after the addition of the soap suds, the water content from the suds seems to have diluted the color to a dusty gray-blue ink that shades A LOT. The color is almost a darker Sailor HAHA ink to me (based on memory, I don't have a sample anymore to compare). Anyways, I'm mentioning this in case someone liked the HAHA ink but felt like it was too light/unsaturated to read in normal usage. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• MisterBoll

• ENewton

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, LiquidInk said:

Not sure if I should post this here or start new thread, I did this ink mix but I changed it slightly. It's almost 50:50 Salix:Scabiosa (a little more Salix since I eyeballed it.) But the change was I added soap suds to it. From a youtube of someone adding soap suds to help flex pens not "pop" the bubble/preventing railroading. I did the same because the ink is fairly dry to begin with. The interesting part was after the addition of the soap suds, the water content from the suds seems to have diluted the color to a dusty gray-blue ink that shades A LOT. The color is almost a darker Sailor HAHA ink to me (based on memory, I don't have a sample anymore to compare). Anyways, I'm mentioning this in case someone liked the HAHA ink but felt like it was too light/unsaturated to read in normal usage. 

Pictures required 

Pictures. Yes please

and how much soap did you use?

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

On 2/10/2014 at 3:37 PM, carlos.q said:

I tried out this combination some time ago in my search for a water resistant purple that was not reddish like Scabiosa. I also tossed in some Waterman purple and called it "Purplix":

fpn_1392046575__purples1.jpg

I've been using this mix in my TWSBI Mini for over a week with no problems.

An interesting mixture. I own Scabiosa and Salix and find them both far too dry and generally very poor performers, but I usually enjoy IG inks, so I'd be willing to use most of them in attempting mixes. Fixing the dryness and lack of saturation would be satisfying.

10 minutes ago, RJS said:

An interesting mixture. I own Scabiosa and Salix and find them both far too dry and generally very poor performers, but I usually enjoy IG inks, so I'd be willing to use most of them in attempting mixes. Fixing the dryness and lack of saturation would be satisfying.

If you want a wet vibrant IG ink, try the KWZI IG inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

11 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

If you want a wet vibrant IG ink, try the KWZI IG inks.

I have a few of those- and will get more 🙂

2 hours ago, RJS said:

If you try them in pens with generous flow, you may find that they’re quite enjoyable..  I usually use them in vintage pens, piston filters with ebonite feeds, eyedroppers and lever fillers.  

7 hours ago, gyasko said:

If you try them in pens with generous flow, you may find that they’re quite enjoyable..  I usually use them in vintage pens, piston filters with ebonite feeds, eyedroppers and lever fillers.  

I did try them in my wettest pens, only to find they still feel just as chalky and that the saturation fades as you write- starts out nicely, but fades incredibly after a couple of pages, especially with Salix. I liked its initial saturated form. I have a glass dip pen, but don't tend to use that aside from as a novelty, but could give them a bash with that...

3 hours ago, RJS said:

I did try them in my wettest pens, only to find they still feel just as chalky and that the saturation fades as you write- starts out nicely, but fades incredibly after a couple of pages, especially with Salix. I liked its initial saturated form. I have a glass dip pen, but don't tend to use that aside from as a novelty, but could give them a bash with that...

If you like saturated inks, Salix and Scabiosa are  probably not for you.  I myself avoid saturated inks.  Like the plague.  

I really wouldn’t say Salix or Scabiosa are chalky.  Paper and pens affect how we experience writing with an ink.  Flex nib pens excepted, my pens have a tine gap.  (Many if not most modern pens lack a tine gap and need adjustment.) I use a variety of papers with various properties: Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Tomoegawa, Fabriano, Staples bagasse, Apica, Tsubame Nohto…  I never use copy paper.  

I also don’t notice a change in darkness of Salix or Scabiosa from page to page other than the usual variation that makes for shading.  I have experienced a gradual lightening with other inks, but it was due to a flow issue with my pen.

I had the conversation about Salix fading on here before... it lightens from saturated to unreadably faint in 2-3 pages. I write on smooth high quality papers, aside from annotating printed writing on copy paper, but I almost always use green ink for that. I tried Salix in 3 wet pens, before dismissing it as a bad bottle or a bad ink. Mine is as chalking and un-lubricated as an ink could conceivably be. Scabiosa also experienced some fading, but not that bad. The colour just didn't seem nice.

With other inks I've only ever witnessed the slightest fading, and that was due to an easily resolved flow problem.

Edit: You are right in saying that for someone that prefers saturated inks this one isn't ideal. The ink looks lovely for the first paragraph, at least. There are some unsaturated inks I like.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:20 AM, Ted A said:

Pictures. Yes please

and how much soap did you use?

I don't know how much soap I used, I didn't exactly measure it. I filled sample vial with half water then added soap and shook the heck out of it then dumped all the water out. Whatever soap suds were left in vial was what I kept in it (plus whatever water didn't dump out). from that I added my Salix/Scabiosa mix into that vial. Here's the picture, it's kind of blue/purple ink that the color diluted out enough to look lighter. Sorry for bad photo, I'm just not good at taking pictures and I'm using my phone. I tried to balance the camera to the white paper, but paper in background didn't turn out to be white so I don't know what else to do. I made a thicker square to show how color looks when it is heavy, then I put a dot and dragged out color to show how color thins out. There's enough water that it diluted color a lot more than what picture showed, I don't know how to capture that though because the text looks twice as dark in picture than what I'm seeing

The giant shadow on right side is my hand

IMG_20210730_140323.jpg

Interesting. Everyone seems to get a different shade. Some are definetly grey, others have more colour. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:47 AM, RJS said:

I used Scabiosa regularly for years in my Platinum Balance.  It didn't feel chalky and didn't fade as I was writing, but after seeing some of the alluring images online, I finally tried it in a wet pen, a rebranded Jinhao x750.  Sure enough, right after a fill, the color was captivating, but it grew dimmer and dimmer from paragraph to paragraph.

I have also used Scabiosa with glass and metal dip pens and have found it to work nicely. 

To return to the post reviving this thread, the idea of mixing Scabiosa with Waterman Purple is interesting.  I like the idea of a wetter, bluer Scabiosa.   

1 minute ago, sciumbasci said:

I thought it was verboten to mix IG and non IG because you get precipitation 

I think it depends on the inks.  As I recall, Rohrer & Klingner used to state on its website (I cannot find the quote now) that one can safely mix any of its fountain-pen inks, other than Sepia.  This assurance is especially interesting given that R & K inks vary widely in their acidity.

I once mixed Scabiosa and Solferino with no ill effects.    

The seasoned ink mixers among us often remind the novice to mix a small quantity and let it sit for a while  before putting it into a pen, just in case the constituent inks turn out to have been incompatible.  

1 hour ago, ENewton said:

I think it depends on the inks.  As I recall, Rohrer & Klingner used to state on its website (I cannot find the quote now) that one can safely mix any of its fountain-pen inks, other than Sepia.  This assurance is especially interesting given that R & K inks vary widely in their acidity.

The seasoned ink mixers among us often remind the novice to mix a small quantity and let it sit for a while  before putting it into a pen, just in case the constituent inks turn out to have been incompatible.  

Safely mix them as long as the mix contains other R&K FP inks. 

That was my understanding. 

5 hours ago, sciumbasci said:

Safely mix them as long as the mix contains other R&K FP inks. 

That was my understanding. 

Indeed.

I have never mixed inks of different brands and would guess that for some brands, there might be problems even within the brand.  

Fortunately, members of this forum have generously shared their experiences, so the less daring among us can keep to well trodden paths.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:07 AM, sciumbasci said:

I thought it was verboten to mix IG and non IG because you get precipitation 

From my time of not having anything better to do... I've mixed inks with food coloring before without any issues. I don't know what properties food coloring is but it's pretty much water without any oils/additives since it's meant to be eaten. In case someone wants to add different colors to inks, this might be an option. But I didn't test it with IG inks specifically, so I can't say for sure there would be precipitation or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 7:32 AM, ENewton said:

Do we know what is up with Rohrer and Klingner Sepia? Why is it different than the other inks? 

19 minutes ago, mouse2cat said:

Do we know what is up with Rohrer and Klingner Sepia? Why is it different than the other inks? 

I have never seen an explanation of what it is about Sepia that makes it unsuitable for mixing.  

I have also never seen a post in which anyone complained of problems with switching to or from Rohrer & Klingner Sepia in a given pen.  I used Sepia for years, never had to use anything stronger than water for flushing, and never dedicated a pen to it.