Salix Mixed With Scabiosa!

doctorpepe

Salix is a blue-black iron gall ink manufactured by Rohrer & Klingner. Scabiosa is a purple iron gall ink manufactured by Rohrer & Klingner. I have a bottle of Scabiosa and am not fond of the color. Think I'll buy a bottle of the Salix and mix. Thanks for the idea.

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• MisterBoll

• ENewton

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I'd want to mix an IG and non IG ink together; I'd definitely let it sit for a while (at least a week) before putting it into even a dip pen. I'm remembering someone's experiment with Noodler's Bay State Blue -- which is alkaline -- and Noodler's Black, which is, IIRC, pH neutral. And the results Weren't Pretty...).

The Noodler's BayState inks shouldn't be mixed with any other inks. This is stated on the packaging clearly, it's stated in the warnings on the product pages clearly, and anyone careless enough to ignore those warnings is someone who probably shouldn't be mixing inks.

Also, iron gall inks are typically acidic and also formulated differently from regular dye-based inks, so talking about mixing an alkaline ink (with a wildly different chemistry than typical inks) with a nearly neutral bulletproof ink has no bearing on mixing IG ink with another ink. There are good reasons to not mix IG inks with regular inks (or to be very careful doing so), but AFAIK that relates to how the acidic IG ink can cause precipitates from the dye and how the different dyes can react to the IG particles.

The Noodler's BayState inks shouldn't be mixed with any other inks. This is stated on the packaging clearly, it's stated in the warnings on the product pages clearly, and anyone careless enough to ignore those warnings is someone who probably shouldn't be mixing inks.

Also, iron gall inks are typically acidic and also formulated differently from regular dye-based inks, so talking about mixing an alkaline ink (with a wildly different chemistry than typical inks) with a nearly neutral bulletproof ink has no bearing on mixing IG ink with another ink. There are good reasons to not mix IG inks with regular inks (or to be very careful doing so), but AFAIK that relates to how the acidic IG ink can cause precipitates from the dye and how the different dyes can react to the IG particles.

Doctorpepe mixed 2 iron gall inks (a blue and a purple). And both are from the same manufacturer, Rohrer & Klingner of Germany. There should be no problems with the mix. The discussion seems to have gone somewhere else.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Doctorpepe mixed 2 iron gall inks (a blue and a purple). And both are from the same manufacturer, Rohrer & Klingner of Germany. There should be no problems with the mix. The discussion seems to have gone somewhere else.

Bob

If you read the person I was responding to (even just the point quoted in my post), you will see that yes, someone made some irrelevant statements, and I was pointing out that they were irrelevant.

Last night I "had the gall" to mix one part of Salix with one part of Scabiosa. It created a nice dark blue that wrote extremely smoothly, then froed down to a very dark black. Work very nicely in my fountain pens and is a great competitor for my Montblanc blue black ink right out of the bottle.

I decided to try this mix, since I have both inks. After letting it sit for a couple of days, I wrote with a glass pen and a dip pen. The colour was a darker, royal bluish. After sitting overnight, it still retained its royal blue colour. No black line in sight.

I will do the test again using fountain pens later this week. Posting pictures is difficult, but I will try.

I will do the test again using fountain pens later this week. Posting pictures is difficult, but I will try.

Arghhh :wallbash:

Teasers the pair of you :crybaby:

I tried out this combination some time ago in my search for a water resistant purple that was not reddish like Scabiosa. I also tossed in some Waterman purple and called it "Purplix":

fpn_1392046575__purples1.jpg

I've been using this mix in my TWSBI Mini for over a week with no problems.

I tried out this combination some time ago in my search for a water resistant purple that was not reddish like Scabiosa. I also tossed in some Waterman purple and called it "Purplix":

Thank you for the image! I like your Purplix.

Okay, I am off the hook with the photographs, because that 1:1 ratio looks like what I am seeing the paper. Thanks.

fpn_1392046575__purples1.jpg

I've been using this mix in my TWSBI Mini for over a week with no problems.

Looks like great shading. Am I deluding myself? Or is there...great shading?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Hah! I do have a sample of Scabiosa and so I will give it a try.

doctorpepe, I thank you!

Both inks arrived yesterday.

LOVE them each individually, wow. How did I not order these gems sooner?

I mixed 15 parts Salix with 5 parts Scabiosa (wanted more blue than purple) and loved it.

However, I then added 1 part Alt Goldrun to tone the purple down a smidge.

Fab!!

A new ink "Dr SS Goldrun" is born. Shades like a beast and behaves like a dream. (so far)

Photos to follow - once I've sketched something.

Woot! Doing a happy dance, Tas! I love shading and the fun in mixing two colors together is the cat's meow! Love that you put in alt guld grun...perfect tone down color.

Not sure I'd want to mix an IG and non IG ink together; I'd definitely let it sit for a while (at least a week) before putting it into even a dip pen. I'm remembering someone's experiment with Noodler's Bay State Blue -- which is alkaline -- and Noodler's Black, which is, IIRC, pH neutral. And the results Weren't Pretty...).

Wirs, unfortunately Ruth was referring to me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/231533-baystate-blue-black/

You are WRONG. At the time I did this, in the fall of 2012, there was no reference to mixing on the packaging, and I do not recall any from the product page on the Noodler's website, though there may be such now (I haven't looked).

And frankly, you only got a chance to slam me as "someone who probably shouldn't be mixing inks" because as soon as I realized the outcome I updated my posts and made sure a mod added a big fat warning to it. Had I not, others who unknowingly tried it behind me would be receiving the sharp end of your tongue and not me.

I don't regret trying it; because I was careful and knew the dangers upfront, it was only a waste of time -- and my Safari is still going strong. What I regret is that certain folks either don't understand or can't appreciate the value of failed experiments and those who undertake them, underestimating the worth in reporting them with integrity, rather assuring themselves that all is stupidity and willful ignorance.

That's all right, Wirs, you just keep on making up "facts" to fit your theories, and I will continue to dabble and mix to my heart's desire. :)

Edited by Daisy

Not really a scribe, more of a Pharisee...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

-- Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Wirs, unfortunately Ruth was referring to me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/231533-baystate-blue-black/

You are WRONG. At the time I did this, in the fall of 2012, there was no reference to mixing on the packaging, and I do not recall any from the product page on the Noodler's website, though there may be such now (I haven't looked).

And frankly, you only got a chance to slam me as "someone who probably shouldn't be mixing inks" because as soon as I realized the outcome I updated my posts and made sure a mod added a big fat warning to it. Had I not, others who unknowingly tried it behind me would be receiving the sharp end of your tongue and not me.

I don't regret trying it; because I was careful and knew the dangers upfront, it was only a waste of time -- and my Safari is still going strong. What I regret is that certain folks either don't understand or can't appreciate the value of failed experiments and those who undertake them, underestimating the worth in reporting them with integrity, rather assuring themselves that all is stupidity and willful ignorance.

That's all right, Wirs, you just keep on making up "facts" to fit your theories, and I will continue to dabble and mix to my heart's desire. :)

I apologize for offending you. My intention was to make it clear that BayState chemistry is wildly different from IG ink chemistry, and so equating mixing BayState inks with mixing IG inks was completely irrelevant (and actually misleading to potential mixers).

I don't know what data was around in 2012 and apologize for assuming that the situation was as clear as it is now. I do stand by my point that someone who in this day and age doesn't do a search before trying something is someone who shouldn't be trying things until they learn how to take proper precautions and review prior data, regardless of whatever hobby they're exploring. Doing things with proper safety precautions and understanding of risks is takes effort. You're right that I shouldn't have assumed anything about the experiment that was mentioned.

Edited by WirsPlm