Salix Mixed With Scabiosa!

doctorpepe

Last night I "had the gall" to mix one part of Salix with one part of Scabiosa. It created a nice dark blue that wrote extremely smoothly, then froed down to a very dark black. Work very nicely in my fountain pens and is a great competitor for my Montblanc blue black ink right out of the bottle.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• MisterBoll

• ENewton

• sciumbasci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm..interesting, part gall...maybe I should try mixing Diamine Registrars with Deep Dark Blue! Might not be quite so dry then. Anyone tried that?

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

... then froed down to a very dark black. ...

froed? I'm not familiar with this term.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Pics, please!

I second that . . :)

hmm..interesting, part gall...maybe I should try mixing Diamine Registrars with Deep Dark Blue! Might not be quite so dry then. Anyone tried that?

Tim

Nope but watch out, I mixed something with my ESSRI once ages ago and all kinds of gloopy misbehaved nonsense went on.

froed? I'm not familiar with this term.

+1. Fried? flowed? :)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Tas, well, at least DDB and Registrars are both Diamine. I'll mix them under my fume hood and wear goggles, though.

Tim

Tim

Tas, well, at least DDB and Registrars are both Diamine. I'll mix them under my fume hood and wear goggles, though.

Tim

Great.

Don't forget to post pics of your results - I love a bit of mixy mixy.

This is very appropriate for this, rather empty, tattered thread.

Kinda like the inky recipes forum. Hmmm....

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

HMMM....

Now you've got my curiosity up. I have both of these inks. I might just try this and see how it works. I was thinking about pulling these inks (and a couple other IG inks) out in a couple of weeks anyway.

What sort of flow are you are you getting, and what pen(s) did you put the mix into? Any sort of bad reactions in the long haul?

And, oh yeah, what they said -- pics or it didn't happen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, then let's all get a chance this weekend to do our mixymixy and our picturetaky and have a look! I'll ante in with the Diamine test, 1) Registrars and Deep Dark Blue and 2) Registrars and Denim.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

Well, then let's all get a chance this weekend to do our mixymixy and our picturetaky and have a look! I'll ante in with the Diamine test, 1) Registrars and Deep Dark Blue and 2) Registrars and Denim.

Tim

Not sure I'd want to mix an IG and non IG ink together; I'd definitely let it sit for a while (at least a week) before putting it into even a dip pen. I'm remembering someone's experiment with Noodler's Bay State Blue -- which is alkaline -- and Noodler's Black, which is, IIRC, pH neutral. And the results Weren't Pretty...).

Not familiar with Deep Dark Blue, but I really like Denim. And didn't much like the Registrars when I tried it -- it oxidized to this weird greyish blue that wasn't really attractive, IMO. I much prefer Salix (which stays blue) or Pharmacist's Urkundentinte, which got really dark because it's got a higher iron content than that of most of the commercial brands of IG inks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You need to consider that iron-gall inks are actually colorless. The blue-black iron galls were blue from the added dye to make the ink visible, and the black iron gall element oxidized later. You can add other dyes to IG inks, but you just need to be careful about what.