Seven Seas Tomoe River Journal Review

yogalarva

I waited until Yoshino san came out with the EP Record model, with lined pages. The EP Record measures approximately 8.75" X 5.5". Its bound with brown Goat skin. It's perfect in everyway, other than cost.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newjelan

• inkypete

• yogalarva

• _Stormin_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am one of the few that actually like a lined journal,

No, you aren't. Lots of us like lined for journals. The design of the Seven Seas is absolutely perfect for its use, even down to the line width (my previous journal's lines were too close together) and the ability to lay flat.

Edited by Moose22

Well mine is on the way... Ordered the Gfeller cover as well, but with everyone seemingly getting the Skirting cover, I ordered the Kip. Very interested to get started writing with this one when it arrives.

The Seven Seas + Gfeller may be the holy grail for me, to replace my nearly full Design Y EP Record (and dozens of other empty journals sitting on my shelf). The paper, lined, 7mm, A5....all perfect. Thanks VERY MUCH for this thread and the review.

I just placed an order. Four minutes later, into my inbox popped two pictures of the actual Gfeller I would be receiving, to be sure I liked it. I responded, and six minutes later the tracking number popped into my inbox.

Can't wait.

Oh, great, another obsession.

David is incredibly good about stuff like that. I had a picture of mine to confirm I liked the cover as well. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to put on it to protect it.

The Seven Seas + Gfeller may be the holy grail for me, to replace my nearly full Design Y EP Record (and dozens of other empty journals sitting on my shelf). The paper, lined, 7mm, A5....all perfect. Thanks VERY MUCH for this thread and the review.

I just placed an order. Four minutes later, into my inbox popped two pictures of the actual Gfeller I would be receiving, to be sure I liked it. I responded, and six minutes later the tracking number popped into my inbox.

Can't wait.

GMT;

You are a little faster with the pen than I. I believe we both got our EP Records about the same time, I have about 1/4 to 1/3rd of mine remaining. However I am noting in three journals: One for health and wellness, one life and fiction writing, and one which I document management of a Koi pond. I'll probably be switching to these as the others fill up. Be interesting to hear you compare and contrast the two once your new journal arrives.

Yeah... My journal showed up today...

This is the greatest journal I have every used, and I don't think I will use any other for as long as I can buy these. I only ordered three, and I'm thinking another three would be a smart pick up.

Same here....on day 2 of the Seven Seas/Gfeller combination. Absolutely loving it so far. I will wait a bit longer before posting more detailed comments, so the glow wears off a bit and I will be more objective and helpful.

DrCodfish: howdy. I ran through 3 Design Y EPs, but I write on only one side of the page (personal preference) and I use them for work notes, so I do move through notebooks more quickly than some. Only 2 days in, the biggest difference is the cover; for someone who writes on their lap a lot, the Design Y would be preferable, with its hard back. The SS/Gfeller is very "soft" and would be tough to write on absent a desk/table/etc. Paper is identical. Cost, obviously, is not. I love the EP covers and workmanship, but the Gfellers, with all sorts of options for self-customization and the like, are right up there I think.

I almost ordered 2-3 more Gfeller covers and 10 more SS's last night, but hopefully I can hold off for a bit to be sure.

Here's a pretty cool article I found on Gfeller:

http://bestleather.org/with-gfeller-casemaker-on-a-shop-visit/

GMT - Wow, you definitely go through them.

Nice article. I worked in the woods for the US Forest Service for about 25 years and know the value of durable cases for field equipment. My oldest son will be getting an advanced degree in 'glaciology' within a year (sort of the intersection of hydrology and global climate change) and I'm thinking there may be an item or two which they produce that would make a durable and useful graduation present. (more likely a gift certificate).

I almost ordered 2-3 more Gfeller covers and 10 more SS's last night, but hopefully I can hold off for a bit to be sure.

I went to order more. They are out of stock with more on the way...

I guess that's fate slowing me down.

My oldest son will be getting an advanced degree in 'glaciology' within a year (sort of the intersection of hydrology and global climate change) and I'm thinking there may be an item or two which they produce that would make a durable and useful graduation present. (more likely a gift certificate).

That would be a wonderful gift.

I went to order more. They are out of stock with more on the way...

Maybe this thread is the problem.....

Hey, everyone, the journals are no good. Stop buying them! :rolleyes:

Well, the other day I tried to buy the two in my shopping cart, but the system would only let me check out one. So I guess I'm the one who got the last one this time... sort of a prize... :lticaptd: :blush:

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Maybe this thread is the problem.....

Hey, everyone, the journals are no good. Stop buying them! :rolleyes:

Haha, I feel somewhat responsible for this... :blush:

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Hahaha, such truth...I had been considering getting the Gfeller cover since NanamiPaper started offering it, but it was thanks to the recent spate of praise for it that I finally ordered one :P

Well if you get the Nanami Newsletter, there is some pretty good info inside the one from today.

Well if you get the Nanami Newsletter, there is some pretty good info inside the one from today.

Yep. Just ordered five.

• 4 weeks later...

Got three more of the new ones today, along with a skirting leather cover (much stiffer, but still very pliable) and I have to say that some how the second generation notebooks are even nicer than the first. These have pretty much become my go to for EVERYTHING.

• 2 months later...

Just started writing in mine, and it is so amazing I never want to journal in anything else ever again <3

I also have a Gfeller leather cover for it that I stained with an instant coffee mixture (looks awesome!).

Tempted to buy like.... 10 more of these, and I already have 4 backups!

Josey, show us pictures! :yikes:

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood