Seven Seas Tomoe River Journal Review

yogalarva

*This is my first review, and I know my pictures and scans aren't up to par with some of the review heavy hitters on here. But I'll do my best. :-)

I've been using the Seven Seas journal for a week now, and I figure that I've had enough time with it to write a bit of a review. Full disclosure: I bought this product with my own money and the review is entirely my opinions based on my experiences.

I judged the notebook on 5 criteria - portability, durability, value, writing experience, and details. The details are all the little extra things that make a product extraordinary. An otherwise perfect notebook that has nothing special (no "soul," if I may) could only get, at best, a 20/25. And with that, onto the review!

post-108603-0-71138900-1391475276_thumb.jpeg

post-108603-0-94474800-1391475308_thumb.jpeg

post-108603-0-90440300-1391475318_thumb.jpeg

Scores:

1. Portability 4/5
  2. Durability 5/5
  3. Value 4/5
  4. Writing Experience 5/5
  5. Details 3/5

Total: 21/25

1. Portability
    A5 is a bit big for a notebook to be carried around all the time, but any smaller and it would probably not be as pleasant to write in. The slim thickness also helps to keep it from being unwieldy, so overall the size works for me.
  2. Durability
    After a week of being toted around with me everywhere it still looks brand new. No problems with pages crinkling/tearing. Currently using the cheap plastic cover, but I plan to buy the Gfeller leather cover once it comes back in stock. The thread binding seems like it can take a lot of abuse, but I'm babying it anyway.
  3. Value
    These journals are not cheap, but you get a lot pages, durable binding, and quality paper. For what you get, I would say the price is more than fair.
  4. Writing Experience
    It's Tomoe River paper, need I say more? Edit - there is significant ghosting (which you can see on the scans) and ink does take a bit longer to dry, but I have yet to have any bleeding or feathering and the ghosting doesn't bother me at all when it comes to actually writing in or reading from the notebook.
  5. Details
    I absolutely love the color of the paper and lines, two page ribbons, rounded corners, and the line spacing.
    I hate the color of the cover (personal preference, so no points lost there).
    I wish it had numbered pages, options for blank/grid lines, and maybe a pocket in the back.

Overall

I really like this notebook. To the point that I've decided this is the only journal I ever want to use (at least for a while). I definitely plan to buy a few more soon, probably once I can get a cover too. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly recommend this product. I am one of those people who just couldn't find the perfect journal and now I've found it. Even though I just use it a bullet journal, the wonderful experience of writing on that paper keeps me coming back throughout the day.

Also, Dave is awesome. My journal took a bit of a roundabout trip to get to me and got a bit lost for a few days, and he was very reassuring when I emailed him about it. Thankfully everything worked out ok (actually, later that day it resurfaced on the tracking info).

And now, a few gratuitous, poorly lit pictures:

post-108603-0-67382400-1391476386_thumb.jpg

post-108603-0-90873500-1391476391_thumb.jpg

Also, in case you were wondering, the pen/ink used to write the review is a Pilot VP broad, inked with R&K Scabiosa. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newjelan

• inkypete

• yogalarva

• _Stormin_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review! And agree, Dave is a wonderful seller. I had the same outstanding experience with this, except I do kind of like the color of the cover. :rolleyes: (BTW, I know people have made their own covers for these notebooks, out of kraft or any other durable paper or material you may happen to have. It's actually fairly simple, as I can do it and I have zero ability with that kind of thing. You can also add a pocket on your back cover. )

You've hit all the gold stars for this excellent notebook--and for me, the sewn binding makes it best in its class. Thanks, lovely to see a written review!

Yes, these notebooks--and their purveyor--are outstanding --can't wait for the arrival of the Gfeller covers...!

Re the show through. This is a quality in a notebook that I absolutely do not appreciate. I do not have a seven seas notebook, although I do have TR in my Hobonichi.

Despite how the scans look above it is amazing (IMO) how usuable the reverse side of a page is, even to someone like me who is "sensitive" to show through.

May have to try one of these soon. Thanks for the review :thumbup:

Thanks for the review. Dave's notebooks are wonderful indeed. The Gfeller is icing on the cake.

fpn_1391648275__trnote.jpg

Indeed, I would also be curious as to which leather this is - I cannot for the life of me decide which would be better!

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Nice icing...! Is that the softer Kip leather, or the stiffer Skirting type...?

Thanks! You got me on that. It's not too thick but also not stiff as a board. Whatever it is it is perfect as a notebook cover. It's about the same thickness as the ones made by Inkleaf Leather. It is marked "2365" on the back inner flap.

Indeed, I would also be curious as to which leather this is - I cannot for the life of me decide which would be better!

Ask Dave when he returns. This one is perfect in weight / feel / thickness / support.

EDIT - I ordered the SKIRTING leather. I just realized there was a choice on the web site and looked at the order I made with Dave.

Edited by MisterBoll

Ask Dave when he returns. This one is perfect in weight / feel / thickness / support.

EDIT - I ordered the SKIRTING leather. I just realized there was a choice on the web site and looked at the order I made with Dave.

Thanks--most helpful! Like yogalarva, I'm having trouble deciding between these two appealing options.

I suppose I could go for both and have 'home' and 'away' notebooks... ; )

Thanks--most helpful! Like yogalarva, I'm having trouble deciding between these two appealing options.

I suppose I could go for both and have 'home' and 'away' notebooks... ; )

I like the idea of the home and away notebooks.

Also - not to spoil the leather party but Dave now has some faux leather covers that are quite inexpensive.

I like the idea of the home and away notebooks.

Also - not to spoil the leather party but Dave now has some faux leather covers that are quite inexpensive.

Haha, I like the idea of home and away notebooks too... My budget, on the other hand, does not like that so much. :-P

I looked at the faux leather, and I would have no qualms about getting one except that with how thin the paper is, I feel like the way the Gfeller covers go all the way to spine to prevent the page bump is worth the extra cash.

Haha, I like the idea of home and away notebooks too... My budget, on the other hand, does not like that so much. :-P

I looked at the faux leather, and I would have no qualms about getting one except that with how thin the paper is, I feel like the way the Gfeller covers go all the way to spine to prevent the page bump is worth the extra cash.

Keep in mind that the leather one will last a good while.

Thanks for the review. Dave's notebooks are wonderful indeed. The Gfeller is icing on the cake.

fpn_1391648275__trnote.jpg

This is a beautiful case! Did you have to custom order it, or did they already make it in your size? I like their work and am thinking about maybe getting one for my Hobonichi Techno planner. Thanks for any info!

This is a beautiful case! Did you have to custom order it, or did they already make it in your size? I like their work and am thinking about maybe getting one for my Hobonichi Techno planner. Thanks for any info!

Thanks! It is / will be available from Dave at Nanami Paper -

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/seven-seas-a5-notebook-leather-cover.html

Thanks, the notebook looks great. I love Tomoe River paper & lined is a bonus. Then there's the Gfeller cover.... What a thing of beauty. Oh no, my wallet will be significantly lighter as a result.

Quite so, yogalarva--$80 is a lot for a cover, but I'm kinda thinking of it as a high quality made-to-measure suit for this particular, rather special notebook. --No faux...!