Chinese Made Cross Vs Usa/irish Made Cross Pens

Albinoni

We all know that Cross a while back decided to take its manufacturing off shore and to China but how would you compare today's Chinese made Cross pens to the previous US and Irish made Cross pens

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Albinoni

• max dog

• Hanoi

• penrivers

Are all of their pens made in China?

Currently, yes.

To answer the OP, I have several Cross fountain pens including older USA-made and newer Chinese-made pens and I don't perceive any difference in quality. I think the newer Cross FPs are as good as the older ones. I have a recent Cross Apogee and Sauvage and I think they are great pens.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

This was an old illuminating long thread years ago. My personal opinion is that yes, the first year there must be some failures in the Chinesse Cross pens, the second less, the third... , in the end, just because experience and work ethics Chiness should be making excellent Cross pens.

First, I have only one Chinese-made Cross pen to compare with others made in the United States and the one (a Radiance) made in Japan, but that pen, a Century II, seems well made and writes very well indeed.

A point to bear in mind is that some kinds of cheapening may be caused by changes in the specifications, originating in Rhode Island, and not to any deficiency on the part of the Chinese supplier. On the other hand, to judge from many recent reviews of inexpensive Cross pens that were never manufactured in the United States or Ireland, Cross has been able to make even rather cheap pens to a satisfactory standard. I was a little surprised that so many FPNers have been so favorably impressed by the Bailey, but in fact they have been favorably impressed.

The Coventry is also good. My fine version writes every time I uncap it, and is better than average at not drying up and at starting. It writes smoothly too. Like many Chinese-made pens it is beautiful. No complaints.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I am fortunate enough to have the sterling silver Townsend from Ireland, from the USA and most recently from China. All the parts - cap, section and barrel - are completely interchangeable amongst the three and each has a lovely smooth medium 18kt two-tone gold nib.

Differences...

The USA cap says "USA" and the Ireland cap say "Ireland" whilst the cap from China says nothing about country of origin.

The barrel or body of the Ireland and China models and their caps are hallmarked whilst the USA has no hallmarks.

The clip of all three has 'Cross' in script but the ones from China and Ireland also have 'metal' in small capital letters on the clip.

The sections of the Ireland and USA pens are black whereas the one from China is black except in bright light when a very slight blue tinge is apparent.

I have a perception that the one from China is slightly lighter, but I have no scales accurate enough to check, and has a nib that is fractionally smaller but this might be an optical illusion. I would need a micrometer to check.

Most importantly, I use all three each day and each has worked flawlessly with any ink I've put in them.

My most recent aquisition has been a black laquer and rhodium-plated Townsend which was made in China and it is fully up to the high standard I would expect from Cross.

Also, Cross Pens has now been split off from the publicly traded company and become private again. The CEO says this will allow the pen division to focus on long term value instead of short term stock price.

• 1 month later...

I also had some experiences with a few US made Century II ballpoints and recent Chinese made Century II's. I did not notice any difference in quality and performance. Both were finished to perfection.

• 3 weeks later...

Who does the quality control now for the China manufacturing, USA or China

Who does the quality control now for the China manufacturing, USA or China

This may be misinformation, but I was told by someone that should have known that the Cross pens made in Ireland were in fact manufactured by Pilot in Japan, but packaged and distributed in Ireland.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be misinformation, but I was told by someone that should have known that the Cross pens made in Ireland were in fact manufactured by Pilot in Japan, but packaged and distributed in Ireland.

Sorry not being rude here but I don't believe that, most definitely not

Just another question regarding Cross pens made in China, now are the parts eg the body, filling system, clip and the nib still made in the USA but the final assembly is done in China.

From what I've read here from other members, all that is left in Rhode Island is the adminstrative offices. The factory part is completely gone, so I dont think they manufacture anything any more in Rhode Island.

I find my Chinese made Cross pens on par in terms of quality/fit/finish to any of my German, French, or Italian made fountain pens. I bought a Chrome Townsend recently and it is absolutely flawless.

One thing that hasn't changed is that they stand behind their product with pride. I think best in the industry. A couple years ago I bought a beautiful Titian Red Apogee fountain pen at a clearance sale in a gift shop that was closing their doors for good. A few days later I noticed a big scratch down the barrel under better lighting. The gift shop was closed and gone by this time so I couldn't return it. I sent the pen back to Cross with an explanation hoping they would replace the barrel for a reasonable charge. They sent me back a new pen at no charge no questions asked. That's customer appreciation!

Where very few things are made in the USA any more, I really liked the brand when they were manufacturing qualtiy pens in the USA up until 2008. Hope one day they can bring production back as Cross is as American as apple pie and Mustangs.

Edited by max dog

I have a perception that the one from China is slightly lighter, but I have no scales accurate enough to check, and has a nib that is fractionally smaller but this might be an optical illusion. I would need a micrometer to check.

Cross evolution to lighter pens started before production was moved to China. I suspect in response to customer feedback to Cross to make their pens a little lighter for ease of use. My early 2000 USA made Century ball points are the same as later Chinese made ones, but both are lighter than my 1970's pen.

Edited by max dog

• 3 weeks later...

When Cross moved production to China did they move all machinery too? Or did the Chinese buy new machinery to make Cross branded pens? I suppose if the former was the case, it's really the quality control department that determines quality.

When Cross moved production to China did they move all machinery too? Or did the Chinese buy new machinery to make Cross branded pens? I suppose if the former was the case, it's really the quality control department that determines quality.

I believe Cross has their own manufacturing facility in China producing their own pens and they dont just outsource production to any lowest bid factory for hire. So it looks like quality control is in their control. I recall someone on this forum mentioning this, but I can't verify the source. Cross does not disclose anything about their manufacturing in China.

Just an update here every one regarding Cross pens that are made in China. A friend of mine who works in a pen shop here in Perth, Australia, recently visited the new Cross factory in China. She was so delighted and pleased with their facilities and workmanship it was almost flawless. She said the factory was very modern, clean, thorough and tge machinery was from both Germany and USA. And because of this she's started to like Cross more. And the quality control is very good and thorough.