Disaster! Lamy 2000

Spudjuice

So, I was writing with my favourite pen today, the Lamy 2000, when suddenly the section popped off from the barrel!The pen was ful of ink, red ink, and it went everywhere. I tried futilely to screw it back on - only to discover that the threads were worn down so badly that it was impossible. Probably the reason it popped off like that.

I have had this pen for two years, and have never unscrewed the section, so I have no idea how it was so worn. i thought maybe ink had gotten in somehow and corroded it, but the only traces of ink were from the current red fill and the purple from a few days ago.

Now I have a broken pen and no idea what to do! The section is stuck in the cap too, and I can't get it out.

Help!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soapytwist

• Albinoni

• Spudjuice

• Tombstone

Lamy is reputed to have excellent warranty service. If you send it in with the nominal fee, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a whole new pen.

If you looove your nib, you may want to ask them to be sure to keep that part if they replace the rest of the pen.

Good luck!

Actually, it seems Lamy does not offer a lifetime guarantee outside the US http://www.lamy.com/content/products/services/warranty/index_eng.html

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

that is a known problem for 2000, sorry that it actually happened to you.

http://josephchow42.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/FPN/i-RXgD3pQ/0/O/phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

Ugh, only two years guarantee? For a £150 pen?! That's pretty terrible, and I'm not sure if I qualify.

I don't have any proof of purchase knocking around. I seem to recall starting my collection in early 2012, but I can't remember exactly how early - the 2000 was my first, so I might have got it in the January. I really can't remember.

I'm now having a small panic, don't mind me. I don't earn enough to really justify buying a replacement, especially with moving house, but everything important seems to be breaking at the moment - I lost my brand new laptop to something not covered by warranty, too. The 2000 is my favourite, and it's kind of a "sit down and study" motivator for me (I'm a distance learner, I need silly things like nice pens to motivate me).

Edited by Spudjuice

that is a known problem for 2000, sorry that it actually happened to you.

Do you have any information or links on this?

To be honest, I never heard of a "problem" like this - ok, they break when you crack them, like nearly every pen. But a known problem? I would be really interested in evidence...

In any case: Spudjuice, contact LAMY - they normally help, their service is well known.

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Do you have any information or links on this?

To be honest, I never heard of a "problem" like this - ok, they break when you crack them, like nearly every pen. But a known problem? I would be really interested in evidence...

In any case: Spudjuice, contact LAMY - they normally help, their service is well known.

+1 for the above - I've never seen the threads being worn down either, even on vintage pens. However, it does sound like this problem originated at the factory, so I'm pretty sure that Lamy will look into it seriously. Otherwise, maybe you could find a used L2K where you could swap the nib?

Ugh, only two years guarantee? For a £150 pen?! That's pretty terrible, and I'm not sure if I qualify.

I don't have any proof of purchase knocking around. I seem to recall starting my collection in early 2012, but I can't remember exactly how early - the 2000 was my first, so I might have got it in the January. I really can't remember.

I'm now having a small panic, don't mind me. I don't earn enough to really justify buying a replacement, especially with moving house, but everything important seems to be breaking at the moment - I lost my brand new laptop to something not covered by warranty, too. The 2000 is my favourite, and it's kind of a "sit down and study" motivator for me (I'm a distance learner, I need silly things like nice pens to motivate me).

I'd get in touch with the retailer you got it from in the first place. Even without proof of purchase they may well help, some places have excellent customer service. In the UK you do need to try the retailer first before going to the manufacturer - if you go direct you could affect your statutory rights.

Ugh, only two years guarantee? For a £150 pen?! That's pretty terrible, ...

It's actually the period specified in an EU directive, but is a part of the directive not incorporated into UK law. The Sale of Goods Act 2000 (which was considered to provide better protection than the directive by Parliamentary draftsmen) requires a 6 month period where they have to prove it's your fault, then a 6 month period where you have to prove it's their fault. After one year of ownership, UK law runs out of statutory protection - so get to the retailer quickly before the guarantee runs out.

Regards,

Richard.

I sent my Lamy pens direct to the Lamy address in Germany (from the UK) recently, with a nice letter explaining the problems (a leaking 2000 FP with a shrivelled o-ring, an early eighties Unic FP whose cap had stopped gripping the section, and a 2000 4-colour biro that had lost the spring from under its clip).

The factory fixed all my problems (including a next section for the 2000 FP, a new feed for the Unic and refinishing the Makrolon on both 2000s) and sent them back to me with no charge for the work or the return postage. The only thing they didn't do right was to acknowledge they'd received them; on the plus side, they arrived back with me in about a week, so I hadn't even had time to wonder if they'd gone astray!

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Yes. The experience soapytwist describes, above, is the experience other Lamy users report. You send your pen or pens to the service address in Germany, with an explanation of what is wrong. You don't expect email contact. Your pen comes back repaired, no charge. Also no need for back-and-forthing about warranty papers, proof of purchase, UK or EU law, nor even Frankish or Roman law.

Agree. If you email them and then post it off to Dusseldorf I bet you get a new pen back.

They won't communicate with you once you've sent it, but they will sort out the problem.

Don't fret about it anymore. Just let them fix it.

Mine took a month.

Jesus this is starting to scare me, I've got 3 Lamy 2000 fountain pens and hope it doesn't happen to me. I've had one of my Lamys for over two and a half years. Love the Lamy 2000 too.

Every Lamy I have ever owned has broken in one way or another...with minimal use.

I cannot recommend this brand any longer.

One of my work pens is a Lamy 2000 FP infact I have two Lamy 2000 at work and use them quite often, been using one for over two and a half years and so far its been very good.

I just sent my recently purchased Lamy 2000 in for warrantee work. My first impression was very positive. After going through its first fill of ink I was less impressed. On close inspection I observed the the nib slit was off center leaving one tine wider than the other. I'm hopeful there will better quality control on the replacement nib. I really like the feel and aesthetics of the pen.

I've had my 2000 FP since the early nineties and the only thing that ever went wrong was the o-ring deteriorating after twenty years. As with any product that is industrially manufactured to tolerances, there will be the odd lemon that escapes QC checking, but the best products generally garner the greater disbelief with owners when they DO go wrong.

Lamy is a case in point, and the 2000 especially so because of the longevity of the model - someone else on here was bemoaning the lack of second-hand 2000s available for sale, which points to a lot of statisfied long term owners out there. They are also amongst the best companies for putting things right fairly quickly if there is an issue.

And don't forget they have a reputation for reliability and ruggedness that isn't just good marketing or PR:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/92073-the-lamy-2000-experiment/

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all! This is my first post. I've been thinking of getting a Lamy 2000, but these comments are giving me pause. Many years ago I bought a Cross rollerball pen. The section was made of cheap plastic and the threads eventually wore out. I watched a YouTube video of a Lamy 2000 being taken apart, but I wasn't able to get a good enough look at the threads on the body of the pen. Might any of you L2K owners be able to comment on the sturdiness of the threads?

Thanks

Jack

Akron, Ohio