Faber-Castell Nibs

Lady P

I have only one Faber-Castell fountain pen: the Loom. The nib is quite good, so I'm thinking about possibly buying more F-C pens down the road. Which brings me to my question: does F-C use the same kind of nib for all of its fountain pens, or does it use something different on its more expensive models (such as the Ambition or Ondoro)? And if it does use different nibs for different pens, have you noticed any differences in nib performance worth mentioning?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• jar

• casualmerlinconstant

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only one Faber-Castell fountain pen: the Loom. The nib is quite good, so I'm thinking about possibly buying more F-C pens down the road. Which brings me to my question: does F-C use the same kind of nib for all of its fountain pens, or does it use something different on its more expensive models (such as the Ambition or Ondoro)? And if it does use different nibs for different pens, have you noticed any differences in nib performance worth mentioning?

I'm pretty sure that the nibs change as the price range varies; so the Loom and Basic share the same nib etc. This means that the Ambition and Ondoro probably have different nibs to the Loom and Basic, but I'm not certain as I do not own the Ondoro or Ambition. I do own a Loom, however.

Yes, different pens use different nibs. TTBOMK the Faber Castell lines use JOWO nibs while the GvFC lines use custom Bock nibs that are then hand finished and written-in in-house.

My Website

Thanks for the input! I'm not too interested in Graf von Faber-Castell at the moment, just plain old Faber-Castell. I didn't realize that F-C used JoWo nibs! Those are the same as the ones that TWSBI and Edison use, right? I'm not too familiar with the JoWo range; are all of their nibs more or less the same? I mean, if I got an Edison Hudson, a TWSBI 580, and a F-C Ondoro, would I pretty much be getting the same thing nib-wise?

no they end up being quite different as they are made to manufacturer specifications. I know the ambition has the same nib as the basic and loom so perhaps you Dont get a different nib until you hit graf con Faber castell?

Up to and including the eMotion and Ambition in the F-C range, the nibs are identical to those of the Basic and Loom. Those are the only mid-range F-C pens I have direct experience of but they are definitely the same nib.

The Graf von Faber Castell nibs are usually 18k gold and a totally different kettle of fish.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Thanks everyone! It sounds as though all F-C nibs (not counting Graf vF-C nibs) are the same. That being the case, if I ever decide to buy another F-C pen, it'll probably be another LOOM (I'd go for a thicker nib this time). If the nib is the same, and the filling system is the same (CC), then the pen is basically the same, and I might as well get the cheapest one.

Thanks everyone! It sounds as though all F-C nibs (not counting Graf vF-C nibs) are the same. That being the case, if I ever decide to buy another F-C pen, it'll probably be another LOOM (I'd go for a thicker nib this time). If the nib is the same, and the filling system is the same (CC), then the pen is basically the same, and I might as well get the cheapest one.

the balance of the pen makes a very large difference too, the metal basic is ridiculously back heavy, but I hear the the rest of the range are hefty but balanced

the balance of the pen makes a very large difference too, the metal basic is ridiculously back heavy, but I hear the the rest of the range are hefty but balanced

Yes, of course you're right. I find that the Loom works fairly well for me; I do suspect that some of the heavier Basic pens would be too heavy for me. Ondoro looks attractive, but I don't think I'm prepared to pay that much more money unless I get an upgrade in terms of a nib or filling system.

I have a FC Ambition with a Fine nib, which I'm finding is a bit too fine and a bit scratchy for me; am I right in assuming from this thread that a FC Basic's nib unit will be the same as the Ambition's? If so, can I get a Basic with a Medium nib and swap it for the fine in the Ambition? That way I'd get a medium Ambition and still be able to use the Fine!

Or is it just the metal nib which is the same, with a different unit to hold it, which wouldn't be interchangeable?

I have a FC Ambition with a Fine nib, which I'm finding is a bit too fine and a bit scratchy for me; am I right in assuming from this thread that a FC Basic's nib unit will be the same as the Ambition's? If so, can I get a Basic with a Medium nib and swap it for the fine in the Ambition? That way I'd get a medium Ambition and still be able to use the Fine!

Or is it just the metal nib which is the same, with a different unit to hold it, which wouldn't be interchangeable?

I just looked on the Writing Desk, and they are selling nib units for the Ambition and the eMotion (these are different nib units). In fact, it looks as though they're selling the entire nib+section unit. The nibs may be the same, but the section isn't...

• 1 year later...

Although the ondoro is much more expensive,the loom has a nib which is a bit more smooth. Buy any faber castell you prefer and you'll find good nibs and robust pens.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have an E-Motion, so I can't really comment on other Faber-Castell pens, or Graf von Faber-Castell. I just wanted to add that I was surprised to read here that my E-Motion has a Jowo nib. I'm familiar with the Jowo nibs on TWSBIs, and I also have three Goulet nibs, but none of these nibs can compare to the nib on my E-Motion which writes like a dream.

I only have an E-Motion, so I can't really comment on other Faber-Castell pens, or Graf von Faber-Castell. I just wanted to add that I was surprised to read here that my E-Motion has a Jowo nib. I'm familiar with the Jowo nibs on TWSBIs, and I also have three Goulet nibs, but none of these nibs can compare to the nib on my E-Motion which writes like a dream.

IIRC Faber Castell sources their nibs from Jowo and GvFC sources nibs from Bock but the original source is nowhere near as important as the specification and later in-house finishing and there, the Faber Castell family excels.

My Website

the Faber-Castell pens share the same nib unit that means you can interchange between, Ondoro, E-motion, Ambition, Loom and Basic unless there is something else I miss

as for Gra von Faber-Castell they look the same as each other but probably not the Tamitio

The Tamitio or Initio has a steel nib, while the other GvFC's use 18K gold.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

• 4 months later...

The nib on the Loom is IMO very good steel nib. Unfortunately the grip section was so slippery it was unusable for anything more then a sentence or two so I gave it away

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

The nib on the Loom is IMO very good steel nib. Unfortunately the grip section was so slippery it was unusable for anything more then a sentence or two so I gave it away

I had the same problem, which is a shame since I otherwise loved the pen. I ended up with an Ondoro (wood) and enjoy that. Only wish I had gotten a bolder nib so I could stub it.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version