Best Pen For Field Work?

John_David_91

This depends more on whether the size of the pen matters to you. If your looking for something "pocket sized" I would consider the Kaweco AL Sport. Kaweco pens are known to be pretty smooth writers and the AL Sport is meant to take a beating. The only downside is that it is more of a cartridge pen. You can purchase a Kaweco squeeze converter but it is not known to hold very much ink. If you want to use Noodler's ink it would probably make more sense to fill cartridges.

If the you would prefer a larger pen I would suggest the Lamy Safari. I know it's a plastic pen but it is incredibly sturdy and in a nice price range.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Kataphract

• John_David_91

• Tanzanite

For a tiny pocket pen, I really like my Luoshi Cigarette pens (I got mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-LUOSHI-385B-cigarette-fountain-pens-fine-nib-/110983483587 ), they're $3-$4 apiece, seem designed well and sturdy (made of metal, cap screws on and posts by screwing onto the back), write smoothly and have a hooded nib that keeps the pen wet. The only downside is the size, they are very small (about the size of a cigarette), but if you like small pens they seem quite good and easily replaceable. Mine writes between F and M, about the size of some smaller Ms but smaller than the Pilot Metropolitan M.

• 8 months later...

Parker 25 is practically bullet proof, very sturdy. Carries well in the pocket and can also be used as a can opener (almost).

Sheaffer school pens are cheap, sturdy, and the cartridges hold a lot of ink. They also carry well in the pocket.

For the ballpoint route Fisher refills fit in Parker pens, so you can use many ballpoint bodies.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I love my Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen for taking along, when any other pen is impractical because it would get damaged. And I love the way it writes.

I do not really think about its use as a possible weapon.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/195521-schrade-tactical-pen/

+1 on the Scrade Tactical. Comes with both a fountain pen nib and a ball point.

j1020

As important as the pen is the notebook may be more important. I use a Rhodia webnotebook so that I can write standing up without the need to find a flat surface to write on. My pen of choice? Retro 51 rollerball.

In the field I use:

Pencils. I might ink over a drawing at a later point, but sometimes I just feel like using a pencil.

Uniball Signo Gel. Waterproof. Great backup because they just aren't as fussy as fountain pens.

Twsbi Mini EF. Compact, holds lots of ink (and will write for forever and a day with the EF nib), starts up reliably, cap posts securely (short-throw twist). Not as rugged as a metal-bodied pen, but I've dashed it against Sierra Nevada granite and it's still working fine. I'll be replacing the Noodler's Claimed But Really Not Quite Waterproof inks with De Atramentis Document inks (assuming anyone gets the black or brown back in stock).

If you need lines, dots, or grids, this won't do, but Stillman & Birns journal. I like the Zeta because the paper is heavy enough for washes, but if it is more about writing than drawing, the lighter-weight paper in the Epsilon is nice and smooth like the Zeta for pens. Hard cover that can take a beating, with edges that extend past the paper. Ring bound or sewn binding that will lie flat (break in period, though).

I would recommend something that is cheap and at least somewhat rugged. The Platinum Preppy is good because it is dirt cheap, C/C or eyedropper, and it will take a decent beating. Old Sheaffer School pens and Pilot 78g's are good for the same reasons.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I've gotta ask how many folk that recommend fountain pens have ever actually used them for field notes?

I've gotta ask how many folk that recommend fountain pens have ever actually used them for field notes?

Yup. I draw with them. I picked the Twsbi Mini specifically for a number of reasons, mentioned above. It has worked in that capacity perfectly. I like the sturdiness of my Pilot Metropolitan, but the ink capacity is small in comparison, and the cap does not post securely, which means I have to keep track of it. But I've used most everything in the field - brushes, pens, pencils, sponges, misters, toothbrushes, heck, even a stick. For writing, though, a fountain pen is still tough to beat.

Yup. I draw with them. I picked the Twsbi Mini specifically for a number of reasons, mentioned above. It has worked in that capacity perfectly. I like the sturdiness of my Pilot Metropolitan, but the ink capacity is small in comparison, and the cap does not post securely, which means I have to keep track of it. But I've used most everything in the field - brushes, pens, pencils, sponges, misters, toothbrushes, heck, even a stick. For writing, though, a fountain pen is still tough to beat.

How does it do in the rain?

Koyote: No risk of leaking. The holes simply allow a view of the converter.

If you are in the field the pen might be tossed around a bit and if the cartridge loosens the pen might leak.

my safari, early red, black furniture, in heavy daily work use, was known to skitter across cement, carpet over cement floors, blunt dropped on hard tile with nary a drop spilled, no cracks, and spent a lengthy period lost in a vehicle during hot August temperatures, then did daily reports at the touch of nib to paper.

The cap stayed on too, except for.. hmmm I think twice, when I'm quite sure I didn't cap tightly in haste, otherwise the large clip was secure on my sweater/blouse and always ready to use one swift motion.

Your mileage may vary, but were it me on your trek, I'd fill a cart with syringe, making sure the feed was fully primed, (Lamy feed holds a Lot of ink), then pack fresh Lamy cartridges, which hold a fair amount of ink. I would carry a pencil, (preferred tool in rain-forest territory ; )

Has a safari Ever leaked? from steady use early red era to multiple other safari's now, not a single leak for me. Anything is possible, but Lamy cartridges do have a very snug fit, unlike some of the wobbly small carts out there. I only have one desk pen that requires small carts, which I find annoying as it generally takes more than a small cart to adequately fill a feed.

Inspecting railcar components - dusty, dirty, greasy, hot, cold. Parker 25. Dropped it, knelt on it, used it to scrape crud off parts. No problems.

In the wet, hide under a hopper car for writing.

Brian

For a tiny pocket pen, I really like my Luoshi Cigarette pens (I got mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-LUOSHI-385B-cigarette-fountain-pens-fine-nib-/110983483587 ), they're $3-$4 apiece, seem designed well and sturdy (made of metal, cap screws on and posts by screwing onto the back), write smoothly and have a hooded nib that keeps the pen wet. The only downside is the size, they are very small (about the size of a cigarette), but if you like small pens they seem quite good and easily replaceable. Mine writes between F and M, about the size of some smaller Ms but smaller than the Pilot Metropolitan M.

I really like the ideal of this pocket pen! I wish they had different colors though!

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FountainPenStation?ref=hdr_shop_menu

http://NIBBLYNIB.WORDPRESS.COM

Inspecting railcar components - dusty, dirty, greasy, hot, cold. Parker 25. Dropped it, knelt on it, used it to scrape crud off parts. No problems.

In the wet, hide under a hopper car for writing.

Brian

Ah, but in the field there are seldom hopper cars to get under.

Ah, but in the field there are seldom hopper cars to get under.

In my field there is... ;)

This year I made a resolution that I am going to spend the majority of my time outdoors, away from the hustle of city life, out of the malls and into the woods. Camping, hiking, photography, WRITING! :D Trying on the Thoreau shoes for once in my life (however moderate it may be -- I wish I could go all the way like he did) and write about it. I have this idea of bringing a notebook with me and jotting things down with a fountain pen.

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a fountain pen that can be taken onto the trails. I'm looking for any brand that offers a fine nib, sturdy build, good flow when using Noodler's Ink, and can possibly take a light beating.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Yes! My kind of thread!

I have spent this entire summer and fall doing "field work". I camped across Oregon and Washington, then went on a grand journey through Central America and the Caribbean, spending the majority of my time exploring the wilds and getting dirty with mother nature. I opted to take 3 fountain pens with me out of my collection, with the knowledge that they would be seeing some rough environments.

Those three pens were:

Pilot Metropolitan, Fine

Lamy 2000, Fine

TWSBI Micarta, Fine Pendleton BLS

All three not only survived the journey, but thrived. However, the clear undisputed champion of "pen for the wilds" is:

TWSBI Micarta

The Micarta material makes it practically indestructible -- you could chuck it off a cliff and it would be fine, the steel nib is big and firm and can take abuse without the tines getting misaligned easily, it holds a sizeable amount of ink for being a converter pen, and it writes wonderfully, especially with a Pendleton stub. This pen was made for this kind of thing.

http://i.imgur.com/yZz8WNO.jpg

I disagree wholeheartedly with suggestions like the Pilot VP - the pen and nib are far too fragile to survive real field work. The Lamy 2000 is pretty burly and take some abuse, but the gold nib can't, so as such I've had to be more careful with it. Cheap pens like the metro and safari and kaweco would probably be fine choices as well. My metro has done great!

I'd take a ball pen out doors (Caran d'Ache 849) or a KarasKustoms Render K filled with a Schmidt Easyflow 9000 but you didn't ask that.... but that leads me to suggest the new KarasKustoms ink. Obviously sturdier than even the Micarta.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version