Fernan

Every wednesday morning, I stop by this café for about forty minutes, before heading off to my tai chi class...

Yesterday, was using my Aurora 88. One of my favourite pens. The cap is engraved with the A.G.V. logo with the Venetian Lion (an Italian insurance company)

For you viewing pleasure.

fpn_1391139090__aurora_88-3.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fernan

• fabri00

• Tas

• PMG92

Top Posters In This Topic

Every wednesday morning, I stop by this café for about forty minutes, before heading off to my tai chi class...

Yesterday, was using my Aurora 88. One of my favourite pens. The cap is engraved with the A.G.V. logo with the Venetian Lion (an Italian insurance company)

Hey Fernan,

That is a lovely pen. I am searching for a vintage aurora 88p as well with some flex. Where did you buy yours?

Danny

Hi Fernan.

Thank you so much for sharing that gorgeous image. :)

You've managed to sum up in one frame the whole essence of how I feel when I use a fountain pen.

It's given me a warm glow inside - not to mention a desire for something other than heavy rain :huh:

...the text written in the paper is in french language.....

It should have been in italian !!.

Why should I have written it in Italian? I don' t know Italian.

I wouldn't even try writing a single sentence in Italian.

French is my native language. It is familiar to me. I'm at ease writing in French.

I don't feel I have to use French pens, such as my Edacoto, or my Stylomine, in order to write in French.

English is my second language. Since retirement three years ago, and since I've moved to Montreal two years ago, I don't speak or write in English any more on a daily basis... I read in English very often. However, with the exception of this forum, I don't even write in English very much any more.

I don't believe most owners of very expensive Japanese or German pens in this forum feel they have to write in Japanese or German when they use their pens, even if they could...

This said, I wish I could read in Italian as well as I can in Spanish. Maybe some time in the future... maybe when I get older, I'll slow down enough to learn a fifth language, unless I concentrate on learning to read music and play the flute... but then I would have to get a music nib!

Hey Fernan,

That is a lovely pen. I am searching for a vintage aurora 88p as well with some flex. Where did you buy yours?

Danny

It's been a while. Maybe I'm getting too old... don't remember when or where... if only that I vaguely remember it being through the FPN, but I'm not sure.

Good luck. If ever you find one, I just wish it writes as well as mine.

Hi Fernan.

Thank you so much for sharing that gorgeous image. :)

You've managed to sum up in one frame the whole essence of how I feel when I use a fountain pen.

It's given me a warm glow inside - not to mention a desire for something other than heavy rain :huh:

Grazie! Merci! Thank you!

I have the same pen! Don't you just love the bouncy/flexy nib? My only gripe about the vintage 88's is that the slip cap (well, at least mine) is not very secure. Pulling off the cap (for my pen) seems to take considerably less effort than any of my other slip cap pens (Safari, MB24, Parker 51, Lamy 2000, etc)

The Aurora 88P is the only pen I've liked so much that I made a dedicated point to find a second. My first was a flexible medium, and the second is a firmer fine. This is the pen that best matches my hand, in weight and balance, and also hits a very nice place for me aesthetically. Really one of the great, if understated, writing instruments.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Another lover of the vintage 88s. The perfect size and weight; great tactile feedback. Classic good looks. But it is not a constant companion because of the loose fitting cap. Mine still has the original cork piston.

A feature I have not seen on any other pen: the ink flow is adjustable by twisting an eccentric ebonite plug in the feed.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Why should I have written it in Italian? I don' t know Italian.

I wouldn't even try writing a single sentence in Italian.

French is my native language. It is familiar to me. I'm at ease writing in French.

I don't feel I have to use French pens, such as my Edacoto, or my Stylomine, in order to write in French.

English is my second language. Since retirement three years ago, and since I've moved to Montreal two years ago, I don't speak or write in English any more on a daily basis... I read in English very often. However, with the exception of this forum, I don't even write in English very much any more.

I don't believe most owners of very expensive Japanese or German pens in this forum feel they have to write in Japanese or German when they use their pens, even if they could...

This said, I wish I could read in Italian as well as I can in Spanish. Maybe some time in the future... maybe when I get older, I'll slow down enough to learn a fifth language, unless I concentrate on learning to read music and play the flute... but then I would have to get a music nib!

The picture has very strong italian feeling.

An old italian fountain pen, a cup of creamy espresso coffe, a glass of water.

It was just a friendly comment, only to say that the only element not italian, as streothyp, in the picture was the langauge used to write in the notebook, which is french.

• 4 years later...

It's been a long time but I'm finally an owner of an Aurora pen.

Your image and all it stands for has never been far from my mind and I look forward to the day (soon) where I'll be at a cafe with mine and my thoughts.

Thanks again for such a beautiful image and inspiration.