New To Fountain Pens! Please Help Me Decide. Visconti Hs Bronze?

Sky Captain

Hello all!

Newcomer here! I thought I'd come here and ask for some advice from some of you who may have some experience with this pen and similar ones.

I am very new to this pen obsession and I have been doing as much research as I can about what to get, how to maintain, what to look for, etc. For some reason I have been drawn to the Visconti brand. I like a lot, if not all, of their designs, their aesthetics and history. Keep in mind prior to two weeks ago I knew little to nothing about fountain pens and less about companies like Visconti, Namiki or Lamy.

So as I researched these pens the Visconti HS Bronze started to peak my interest more and more to the point I now feel this may be the pen I want to get. Though I do have some reservations and would like to see if owners that have had these pens for a while could pipe in and advise yay or nay.

Some of the Pros for me are of course the look of the pen. I know there is the Silver Age sibling out there, but the Bronze to me has a special look I like. I like the filling system that it has, I like that if I am not mistaken you can unscrew the feed and nib assembly easy and potentially swap it out for another size relatively on the fly as opposed to other pens where this is difficult or not even possible. ( Please correct me if this is not the case!).

I like the material it is made out of and what people say it feels like and how sturdy and strong it is.

What I don't like or am worried about though are some of the reviews that talk about Visconti less than stellar quality control. I know the original run used to have some sort of bleed through issue that has since been corrected. But many of the older reviews talk about faulty nibs, low quality control on the Nib coloration, on the machining of the cap latching groves, skipping on some nibs, railroading and failures to start. (See! I have been doing my homework!). Something I also wonder about, since the material is quite porous and absorbing (I forget the correct word they use for this), do you find the pen gets a permanent stain down at the section where you hold it? Does the pen do well with washing and cleaning?

One comparison that I have come across regarding these quality control issues with these pens and the Visconti brand that I think may fit well, albeit a shame, is Italian cars. Stunning to look at while sitting in the garage, but finicky and a nightmare for everyday use. Is this too generalized a statement?

I would love to hear from owners of this pen, and maybe Viscontis in general. People that have maybe had these for a while and could give me a rundown of what they think of their pen after some time. Basically, would you buy this pen all over again after living with it and using it? I like pens that write a fine line and I think I would go for the EF nib on this. Anyone have this nib, how do you like it?

Am I over reaching myself here a bit as a first fountain pen choice? I know I could get tons of probably more reliable and less expensive alternatives. But I don't know, Visconti speaks to me for some reason.

Before closing this out, I did get in touch with Bryant at Pen Time and I mentioned some of these things to him. Really cool guy and helpful and he said he could go ahead and test it out for me for nib issues before sending me one. So that makes me feel a lot better about purchasing something without being able to see it first, as I have no shops close by where I can see these pens in person. But still, owner stories are greatly appreciated!

Excuse this loooong post with so many questions, I'm being a total newbie here!

Cheers!

Edited by Sky Captain

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• Sky Captain

• Ghost Plane

• jdivitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sky Captain,

:W2FPN:

I have no experience with the Visconti brand, but the Visconti Homo Sapiens is a rather expensive pen, and so for a first pen, I do think you're overreaching a bit. Unless you're very affluent and can simply absorb hundreds of dollars of loss in case this pen doesn't really work out for you, I'd recommend starting out with several cheaper pens to get a sense of what you like. For instance, do you prefer lighter or heavier pens? Long or short? Thick or thin? Do you like to post? What kind of line thickness are you looking for? What type of filling system do you like?

I also think that if you're going to use a fountain pen as an all-purpose writer, it's a good idea to either have a pen that uses cartridges (which you can easily swap on the run), or have two pens on you at all times so that if one runs out of ink, you can grab the other one. On the other hand, if you're only going to use the pen at your desk, where you can have an ink bottle at hand at all times, then one pen is okay.

Hi Sky Captain,
:W2FPN:
I have no experience with the Visconti brand, but the Visconti Homo Sapiens is a rather expensive pen, and so for a first pen, I do think you're overreaching a bit. Unless you're very affluent and can simply absorb hundreds of dollars of loss in case this pen doesn't really work out for you, I'd recommend starting out with several cheaper pens to get a sense of what you like. For instance, do you prefer lighter or heavier pens? Long or short? Thick or thin? Do you like to post? What kind of line thickness are you looking for? What type of filling system do you like?
I also think that if you're going to use a fountain pen as an all-purpose writer, it's a good idea to either have a pen that uses cartridges (which you can easily swap on the run), or have two pens on you at all times so that if one runs out of ink, you can grab the other one. On the other hand, if you're only going to use the pen at your desk, where you can have an ink bottle at hand at all times, then one pen is okay.

Hello Lady P! Thank you for your reply and warm welcome. Yes this is the kind of insight I am looking for. All very good points and I see where you are coming from. And you are right, my disposable income is not that, "disposable" haha. But, even if it was, the smart thing would be to jump into this new hobby carefully and with an open ear for advice.

I think the weight of the pen is not too much of a concern for me, or at least not the primary concern. I think I could say the same about thickness or length, as I do have several writing instruments at home that I use randomly and never found myself thinking about their weight or size. So I guess I am open on those two fronts. I also don't mind posting or not, although come to think of it I tend to lean to not posting just for the fact that I could envision posting may start wearing on the body of the pen where it grips and I tend to like my things not too scratched haha.

About filling system, initially, and maybe due to ignorance or lack of experience, I was leaning towards imbedded systems like the one in the HS where there are no parts to fiddle with. The pump or twist cap is all part of the body and the pen itself is the reservoir. But I had not considered what you said about having converters instead for their ease of interchangeability. That is a very good point. Although I mostly would see myself using a fountain pen at my home office rather than taking it to many places with me. I fly a lot as that is my job so for that I was thinking of partnering whatever fountain pen I got with a good, maybe a part of the same set, gel roller ball pen that will work well with changes of pressure. (Images of fountain pen explosions at altitude dance in my head).

I still would be interested in hearing from owners of the HS as I see myself getting it eventually if not as immediately as I thought. I think you are right to maybe try out lesser pricy models to get a feel for what I like. And to that end I am very open to even more recommendations. I am still partial to these nice looking Italian pens though haha.

Edited by Sky Captain

As above, I would seriously suggest buying a few cheap pens off fleabay (Look at Baoer / Hero / Jinhao as these tend to copy designs of far more expensive pens) and see if there is any shape in particular that feels right. Also, you can often get these brands in matching "fountain pen and roller ball" sets for quite cheap.

I don't know much about visconti myself (And I'm new to the hobby as well) but I started with some "replica" Chinese pens before moving on to the real deal.

It gave me some kind of appreciation of how the shape of the pen felt etc. For example, I got a Hero 616 before my Parker 51 to see if I could handle the thin shape of the pen. You might be able to find a good bang-for-buck replica of the pen you want.

These are also good knock around pens that (if you eventually do drop big dosh on that special pen) you can use outside the home without fear.

Also, I'd get a Jinhao 159 just for the sake of it. I love mine. It feels as good as some $100+ pens I've tried after some very slight nib tweaking.

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

A more affordable pen can also be found among the Visconti products. This gives you an opportunity to assess their nib and overall quality before moving on to more expensive stuff (an inevitable fate for many in FPN). Leaving aside matters of personal preference (including pen size and nib response), my own experiences with Visconti pens has been quite positive - they're probably much better built than Italian cars ;-).

I would second the idea of starting with cheaper pens to get an idea what you prefer, most importantly what nib size you like / need for your style of writing.

To try out the HS filling mechanism, you can get a TWSBI Vac 700, as that is a vacuum filler too for $65. You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper vac filler. And you can get additional nib units for $20 to try different widths. And the pen has a shut-off function to seperate ink reservoir from the feed so no risk of ink explosions at high altitude. Plus the pen is a demonstrator, so you always know how much ink is left (huge ink capacity).

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Ahh, Sky Captain, although not quite as new as you (I've been into my pens for a couple or three years) I was looking at the same pen just before Christmas.

I asked a similar question to a another FPN member, mhphoto, who had recently bought one.

His immortal words to me (together with some very helpful photos) were:

Hehe, I'm just gonna say it…

Get the Visconti!!! :D

I've not looked back since. Look at my posts, I reckon every 5th one or so mentions my Visconti in some way or another. I LOVE it.

Yes it's expensive. Yes I'm still paying for it, but I'll be enjoying it and it's work for years to come.

Should you have any issues with your purchase, Visconti seem to have excellent customer service and I'm sure will help you in any way they can. Lifetime warranty etc.

PM me if you like and I'll preach some more to you.

Best of luck,

Tas.

I have several Visconti pens including a midi Van Gogh, Opera Typhoon. Divina, and a maxi Homo Sapien Steel similar to the Bronze in size. I can tell you a) Visconti Quality is very good and support from their US distributor, Coles of London located in North Carolina, is excellent. In the unlikely event you have a problem with the pen, Coles of London with set it straight so no worries about quality.

Specific to the Homo Sapien:

- The Dreamtouch nib is very good and if Bryant will check the nib to make sure It writes smoothly out of the box, no worries. For a bit, I had a Bronze Age nib in my Steel Age pen and the quality of the two-tone was excellent.

- Yes, the nib unit can be removed, but I don't recommend doing it yourself. Visconti uses a special tool to do it without messing up the alignment of the nib and section. Pick a nib size you like and stick to it. Note that Coles of London offer free nib exchanges so after you but the pen, if the nib you choose is not to your taste and still in perfect condition, send them the pen and they will swap the nib.

- The material has not stained or discolored at all. It washes nicely and if you want a nice look to it, put a bit of hand lotion on it! Marvelous pen material. It's really strong and hard so no worries about cracking or scratches.

- The only negative I have about the pen is no ink window. Any pen that has a build in ink fill system should have a window. There is no way to know how much ink is left. It's one thing to be sitting at a desk on a long writing session and run out, but going to a meeting and writing one line only to learn you ran out of ink is annoying. The captive converter in my Steel Age doesn't hold much ink, that not the case with the Bronze.

- Yes, I would buy it again. Eventually I'll have a Bronze Age also.

Edited by jdivitto

Hi Sky Captain :W2FPN:

I have had my bronze HS for more than a year now and it is a superb pen, the palladium nibs are fantastic and unlike any gold or steel nibs that I have used. I have the fine and it is nice, wet, responsive, everything you could ask for. The problem with trying cheaper models is that you will not be able to try the dreamtouch nibs (the HS is one of the lower price models to have one). I also have a Visconti Wall Street LE with a broad 18k nib and it was a bit over-tipped for my liking, I have now had it tuned and it is a dream to write with.

As for whether it should be your first pen, well it's pricey; my first two pens were around £40 and it took me a while to build up to the big price tag models. That said, you are going to spend £300 (or regional equivalent) on pens, so it might as well be the one you want, I cant think of any that I would recommend more highly.

I am considering another HS Bronze in the stub,... but that might have to wait a while.

Let us know what you go for!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

The Visconti Homo sapiens is a highly regarded pen, some people absolutely adore it. If you're going to buy it from a knowledgeable seller who is willing to test the pen before sending it to you, that will significantly reduce the chances of your receiving a faulty product.

Nonetheless, if you're not used to fountain pens, I do think you're taking quite a bit of a risk by buying such a very expensive pen. For instance, I have a Jinhao 159 (the MB 149 imitation). It's a good pen, but it's too thick for me. I use it occasionally, but it's no good for extended writing. This doesn't make it a bad pen, but it does make it a bad pen for me. Since I paid something like 10 EUR for it, it's not a big deal. But imagine if I'd gone straight for a MB 149 instead. It would be just as bad of a fit for me as the Jinhao 159, but now I'd have some 600 EUR worth of loss to contend with. Similarly, I have a Pilot MR. I love the looks, and I love the nib. But the step down between the barrel and the section makes it uncomfortable to write with (although I still write with it sometimes because the nib is lovely). I paid 20 EUR for it, so it's not a huge deal. But imagine if I'd bought a Nakaya instead. Most Nakaya pens have that sort of step down between the barrel and section, and that means that they would be just as unsuitable for me as that Pilot MR, except that they cost 25-50 times more than the MR. I also had a Lamy Safari. Great nib! But the triangular grip section used to make my hand hurt as soon as I started writing with that pen. I paid about 20 EUR for that one, so I could just absorb the loss. But imagine if I had bought one of those Omas pens with a triangular grip section.

You get the point. If you decide to get a Visconti HS, especially from a seller who will test it before shipping, you'll get yourself one nice pen. If you're lucky, you'll find that it's a perfect pen for you. If you're less lucky, you'll find that for one reason or another, it simply doesn't work for you. That won't make it a bad pen, but you'll either find yourself giving up on fountain pens altogether, or you'll be in the hunt for another pen while your Visconti HS, into which you invested hundreds of dollars, languishes in the drawer.

Myself, I have two pens that I would consider legitimately expensive. One is a Pelikan Toledo M700, and the other is a Pelikan M400. How did I choose them? I had a Pelikan M200 and a Pelikan M215, which I loved to bits. My high end Pelikans are very similar to my M2xx's, they just have a different nib. So I could pretty much count on loving them. I wouldn't take that risk with a brand I wasn't familiar with (and I mean from having tried it myself, not simply from reviews).

I just received my Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze today. The pen material feels wonderful, smooth and somehow organic, which is strange as it is made from volcanic lava. The bronze rings and clip look great, shiny now but I think they'll look even better when the patina starts to build up. The pen is reassuringly heavy, especially when posted, but the weight feels right in my, admittedly large (fat!), hand.

I will echo jdivitto, so far my only criticism of the pen is the lack of an ink window. This is the first such filling system I've had, and until I get used to using the pen, and how much ink is held in the pen after filling, I won't be using this pen away from my desk.

Regards,

Kevin

....although come to think of it I tend to lean to not posting just for the fact that I could envision posting may start wearing on the body of the pen where it grips and I tend to like my things not too scratched haha.

.... But I had not considered what you said about having converters instead for their ease of interchangeability. That is a very good point. Although I mostly would see myself using a fountain pen at my home office rather than taking it to many places with me. I fly a lot as that is my job so for that I was thinking of partnering whatever fountain pen I got with a good, maybe a part of the same set, gel roller ball pen that will work well with changes of pressure. (Images of fountain pen explosions at altitude dance in my head).

- the pen doesn't post we'll because it fits on the filler nob and is very easy to accidentally turn.

- I've never used converters for interchangeability, you can't store a filled converter.

- just fill your pen prior to a airplane ride and no issues with travel.

One more consideration is nib size. Paper quality becomes you biggest issue with switching to fountain pens and a F Nib is most forgiving of typical (bleep) paper.

If I were you, I'd first get a few cheaper pens so you can try out nib sizes. OR you can visit a retail store and try the pen out there.

Visconti is going to be quality, that's for sure. Even if you don't like the pen, you can sell it for at least 80% of what you paid if it's still in mint condition. You're gonna lose some money, but you're never risking the full price of the pen.

Oh... And the quarter turn cap locking mechanism is excellent. Fast to can and uncap and it's quite secure. I also have this on the Divina and Opera and love it.

Hi there,

I see from your profile that you stay in San Diego, Fair bit of warning about the Bronze Visconti HS (I own a Steel Mid size, My father owns a Bronze Oversize) in more humid climates, like your own, the bronze will tarnish rather quickly, so if you're looking for something aesthetically pleasing, the tarnish may just put you off. Also, the Vacuum fill system used by the oversize model, and a Piston filler in the Mid size. Both pens aren't particularly hefty/ heavy, and with the 23.k palladium nibs they write brilliantly (soft and wet).

Speaking of the nib however, the Visconti palladium nib tends to lay down a very wet line, and requires a rather light touch to get a quick drying line. So that may be something to consider as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the nibs also run a little broader than normal, maybe half a size up.

Edited by Kquill

HI Sky Captain!

Welcome to our friendly community, you are going to love it here

I have a Bronze HS with a stub nib, I also have a few other Viscontis. I have had issues with a few (most) of my Viscontis, including the HS which had to go back for nib adjustment as it was quite skippy.

However, if you buy from a good retailer they will be falling over themselves to help you and keep you happy - they know that when you are prepared to spend a large amount of money on a fountain pen from a brand that's not that well known outside of fountain pen lovers circles, that you will almost certainly buy more in the future. They will want you to come back to buy the next pen, and the next, and the next from them. They are also on the whole simply nice people who take pride in their work. Any issues I have had have been sorted out to my satisfaction, maybe not super-quick, but if you want to rush then forget fountain pens and write an e-mail...

Being honest I have had more problems with Visconti pens than other brands (YMMV) but it really is worth it to me, I like my Pelikans, and my MBs, I enjoy using my vintage pens, and my cheap pens are fun for different reasons, but my Viscontis are probably my favourites. They are the pens I turn to to cheer me up, the pens I use to write that special letter. I can't quite put my finger on why, but they have a certain ~something~.

Whether you should spend so much of your hard earned cash on a first fountain pen, well that's up to you, you know your own finances. If you can afford it and it's what you want, then just give in and buy the pen you want. A fountain pen is a thing you buy with your heart not your head, so surrender to your heart, you will end up doing it sooner or later, why wait?

The HS bronze is a truly unique pen, far from perfect, but you can forgive it a multitude of sins because it is so special. Of course, if you really, really can't get on with it, well just sell it, you will recover a reasonable chunk of your money, not all, but that's life.

If the lack of an ink window is a worry to you, I'd recommend the travelling ink well that Visconti do. Not only can you easily carry around more ink, but it makes getting a good fill in the pen soooooo much easier.

Good luck with your decision, and don't forget to update us on what you decide, then post pictures..!

- I've never used converters for interchangeability, you can't store a filled converter.

Sure, but it takes 5 seconds to wash out a converter and you can empty any ink into the bottle again.

While I love my Aerometric and Touchdown filling systems (and will soon love the piston filler of the ahab), the converter pens I have are so fast to flush out for a new colour that it's laughable. And unlike the aero and touchdown, I get almost all the excess ink back :)

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

I'm on my fourth Visconti and have not experienced quality issues. My HS Bronze is my workhorse - goes with me everywhere. And, most recently it has a sibling: a HS Steel. Tough constructions, fantastic nib, discreet from afar,, interesting up close, warm to the touch, and looks great with patina or polished. See review http://www.greatgearjournal.com/2013/11/29/1

To add onto this, I have an HS with fine nib and it's an amazing pen. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. It's in my top 2 favorite pens and maybe tied for first. Mine has been an extremely smooth, reliable writer that puts out a crisp fine wet line. It holds a lot of ink too.

I wouldn't part with mine, if that's any indication.

Amazing replies guys, thank you all for welcoming here and you better believe I will post an update what I decide on. I am leaning towards getting an entry level Visconti to try out their nib style and how they flow with me. My heart is definitely set on a Honosapiens Bronze though.

A local shop is having a sale on some Visconti Rembrants and I am thinking I will pick one up to start with. I will post pics of it when I get it.

I found a shop that sells Viscontis and has a larger selection in Los Angeles area so I may set away a day to drive up there and maybe test drive some of the higher tier pens that where mentioned by some of you kind people, including the Homosapiens. I think once I do that I will have a better grasp (sorry for pun!) of how different pens feel to my hand. At that point I will give Pen Time a call and make arrangements for my investment.

So much wonderful advice here and I am so glad I decided to post with my questions!