Homemade Leather A6 Dual Reporter/journal Cover

Blankly

My EDC is a Parker 51 Aero, reporters style notebook, and a journal. I used to carry all the items separately but always wished I could consolidate. I made this for myself over the last week after seeing (lusting after) a pen case journal combo but not liking their choice of materials. If there is a desire for it I can make more of these to order.

I used full grain vegetable tanned leather and hand stitched it using waxed poly thread. I will most likely only do plain and natural (unfinished) if there is interest as that is the aesthetic of the items I typically make as an artist regardless of medium. I oil the cover with neatsfoot, sun tan the leather slightly, and hand burnish the edges after stitching. The rest of the details are left to the user. With proper oiling and commonsense leather care the item will age beautifully. The item was a very personal project so I haven't yet decided on a price but it will be reasonable.

I have moleskine notebooks in the pictures but rhodia A6 webbies should fit. I won't make another for at least a month or two while I test the durability of the one I just made. I can also upload the template I created for this project if any DIY'ers are interested in taking on the challenge.

EDIT: As promised... here is the template! FYI The colors are a little wacky but I used a BW laser printer so all I needed was contrast.

post-110006-0-13768500-1390873630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blankly

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blankly

• arcaneradio

• agchristie

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to see the template. Also what weight leather did you use?

Very nice case. I agree it is hard to find just the right thing to meet a need.

Sometimes you have to do it yourself.

Thanks for posting.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

I would love to see the template. Also what weight leather did you use?

Very nice case. I agree it is hard to find just the right thing to meet a need.

Sometimes you have to do it yourself.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I made this cover fairly beefy at 7 oz. I'm going to try 5 or 6 next time. I will export my template to PDF and put it up tomorrow.

Edited by Blankly

Very nice project.

Are the notebooks held in place by their covers?

I would like to see your other work is that possible.

Michael

The notebooks are held in place by the cover. The pockets are very snug since they will stretch over time. This is actually my first time working in leather so I don't have anything else like this to show but I am fluent in working with all kinds of materials to make things so there are other types of things I've made that'll eventually turn up on a blog I'm putting together. I know I'll be posting more things here since I am currently researching book binding. That'll be my next adventure.

In my downtime I research what goes into making all sorts of items and then show people (usually friends and family) that it's not magic and very possible for anyone with a little time and interest (and of course a little money) to make quality things themselves.

That is really a beautiful cover, I especially like your pen holder! I am trying to decide on how to ideally combine a cover like this together with several little notebooks maybe Midoristyle held but with such a secure holder for a pen as yours has.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng