Discolored Section On Esterbrook J: Repair Or Replace?

Sonnet

I picked up a new (to me) Esterbrook recently: a blue J with a 2668 nib in really great condition: no cracks or noticeable scratches, has a clear, strong imprint, good nib, new sac, etc. The grip section is very discolored though-- it goes from black, to off-black, to olive green. Is there any way to re-blacken the section safely? If not, where's a good source for replacement sections? I've done some cursory searches on Ebay but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right items.

Thanks!

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• Sonnet

• PDW

Buy a junk parts pen and harvest the section. Figure a replacement section to cost about 10 if you go that route. Note tat a replacement may need some fitting, they vary quite a bit.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If you are going to buy a replacement section I would send your barrel to either Brian Anderson or maybe Farmboy for them to match a section to your barrel.

It might cost you $1 or so more to send them the barrel but then you have a section that fits easily but securely even After any barrel shrinkage over the past 50 years.

Unless the oxidization is REALLY bad, most if not all of it can be polished out. This is also the reason you don't put Estie sections in hot water, you can't be sure (usually) that it Doesn't have an earlier hard rubber section in it. OTOH, I LOATHE having to polish a section. The main reason being I have larger hands and there's just not much there to hold onto while you're polishing. My fingers end up cramping. But when the section is brown, you gotta do, what you gotta do.

PS; LJ and SJ sections are smaller than for a J.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hey there Sonnet,

Just curious... how long ago did you buy that pen? I sold one on ebay back in November that was a blue J, 2668 nib, with a discolored section.

"We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Sometimes you find some parts by searching for "parker parts" or "esterbrook parts" for example. Some pens there are more parts for than others. I am not optimistic that you will find any.

I have a spare J section, but I use it for knocking nibs and feeds out of the nib collars when I make a frankenpen.

Well, good luck to you and the Red Sox, or maybe the Lions, those perennial failures.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 months later...

I maybe late for this one but I had the case recently: a black LJ with a discolored section. Actually not totally discolored, but it had a grey-brown band on the grip section.

I simply let the section dip into bleach (undiluted) for 30min and let it dry without wipping the excess bleach of, the section laying on the sac nipple. Once dry, just polish the section to make it shinny again and you're done. repeat the dipping/drying process if necessary.

That's a trick I learn on the french fountain pen forum, for re-blackening ebonite pen. Since esties section are also made of ebonite...

That's make me think I have some more section to bleach back to black (I know, that's counter-intuitive!)

Well, good luck to you and the Red Sox, or maybe the Lions, those perennial failures.

Hey -- don't say good luck to the Sox. They didn't need it last year -- GRRRR! (sorry -- that's the 30+ year NY Yankees fan in me talking).

If you're gonna say good luck to a team, there's probably some diehard Cubs fans out there.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I maybe late for this one but I had the case recently: a black LJ with a discolored section. Actually not totally discolored, but it had a grey-brown band on the grip section.

I simply let the section dip into bleach (undiluted) for 30min and let it dry without wipping the excess bleach of, the section laying on the sac nipple. Once dry, just polish the section to make it shinny again and you're done. repeat the dipping/drying process if necessary.

That's a trick I learn on the french fountain pen forum, for re-blackening ebonite pen. Since esties section are also made of ebonite...

That's make me think I have some more section to bleach back to black (I know, that's counter-intuitive!)

The bleach damages Ebonite.

IMO you are better off polishing the layer of oxidation off the section by hand.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Savinelli Pipe Stem Polish will get some of the green/brown oxidation off, with AFAIK no damaging effects. Some on FPN recommend it for 'restoring' pens made from back hard rubber which have gone brown over time, although this is one of those topics that tends to go flamewards rather quickly..

I think you will find less opposition to polishing the oxidation off an Esterbrook section when the rest of the pen is fine than you will polishing a full exterior to a BHR pen where it is usually very obvious the polishing has taken place. Other than the very early Esties, the only part of their pen besides the feed that was BHR was the section.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Hey -- don't say good luck to the Sox. They didn't need it last year -- GRRRR! (sorry -- that's the 30+ year NY Yankees fan in me talking).

If you're gonna say good luck to a team, there's probably some diehard Cubs fans out there.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I was born in Boston. When I was growing up and some adult wanted to indicate a hopeless case, they would say "Good luck to you and the Boston Red Sox." I suppose the uninitiated might tell someone to pray to Saint Jude.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

<Grrrr. Still not happy at All about the last two successive loses by the Braves to those Bosox. Just wait til tonight in Fenway. >

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

<Grrrr. Still not happy at All about the last two successive loses by the Braves to those Bosox. Just wait til tonight in Fenway. >

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Meanwhile England have Sri Lanka 9 wickets down for 65 ...

I agree with Bruce-

Using Micro-Mesh pads will help to polish off the oxidation. You should use the finest grits to do this- you are only polishing the oxidation off. You can also use a slightly abrasive plastic/metal polish to accomplish this- especially if you are not comfortable with those mesh pads. (I use Flitz). I have used both methods (combination when needed) many times with Esties that I have bought/sold/kept!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Having rooted for the Braves when I lived in Pensacola, and for the Bosox anytime, I am torn. The Tigers did win the last game I watched. I root for them, unless they are playing the Bosox. Ah, for the days of Ted Williams and Jimmy Piersall . . .Yaz . . .

<Shaking head> The Bosox plow through a freakin' TEN game losing streak and end THAT being set up for a 4 game SWEEP of the Bravos.

Oh the perils of being genetically predisposed to being a Braves fan... :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Remember the Braves started out in Milwaukee WI then flew south.

This is from a person that does not follow baseball, football & basketball.

And the Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee.

My Grandfather in Atlanta had a side job taking up tickets at sports events.[1] I spent a few summers at Ponce de Leon field before there ever was a real stadium in Atlanta. The team then was the Atlanta Crackers (believe it or not). Ponce field was directly across Ponce de Leon Ave. from the main Sears building, about a 10 story building.

I spent many summers at what was first Atlanta Stadium then became Fulton County Stadium. That was the field before the current Turner field. My Stepdad also had season tickets to the Falcons that also played at the baseball stadium. Going to BOO the Falcons was a standard pastime in Atlanta back then.[2]

Sadly, I haven't been to Turner field yet though I hear it's wonderful.

[1] Get paid, + 1/2 off munchies and get to sit wherever you want, if you want to watch the last 1/3+ of the game. Deal. Also, hard to find a better gig for your Granddad to have. Trust me.

[2] I remember the famed sports writer for the Atlanta paper, Furman Bisher saying one Monday there weren't enough paying tickets the day before at the Falcons game to pay the clean up crew. I remember less than 2000 at a pro football game there. 80% of them there to BOO. It's gotten some better since.

So you see, my Brave's malady Is genetic.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl