From Philadelphia To Italy In One Glance...

GutSchrift

Having just moved to Philadelphia late last year for a new job with a wonderful nonprofit in Center City, I was giddy and excited when I found out about the Philadelphia Pen Show. I've never been to a pen show either. I made my way up on a morning that was a brisk change from the unseasonably warm weather we've been having lately.

I budgeted about three hours or so to check out every table and maybe even have a second go after narrowing down a few potential takers. Near the end of two hours I stumbled across the small but well-stocked tables of Mr. John Colton! Several of the more swarmy dealers had already put me off. I don't care how nice your Duofold Lapis and 80s Pelikan m800s are, I don't like greasy sales! Mr. Colton was a pleasant, kind and gentle man. He clearly cares about what he sells and stands by his pens. His prices were also very, very fair. I ended up with a great deal on my first Omas! I never thought an Italian could take me away from my Pelikan and Teutonic collecting passions -- but I've flirted with the Italians before.

Mr. Colton had a 'black pen special,' and after holding it my hands and being pleasantly surprised by the very, very smoooooth BB nib (!) on this Milord old-style I knew I had to have it. I'm glad I did and I can't wait for my Italians, especially Omas to join! A nice old-style 360?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zenshrink

• GutSchrift

• Chopper88

• Jackson

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, it's great to hear/read when people get out of their 'comfort zone' and realise there's more out there :)

And the 360 certainly is a great addition! Also comes in so many variations, that there must be one you like, if you already like the overal design that is.

Having just moved to Philadelphia late last year for a new job with a wonderful nonprofit in Center City, I was giddy and excited when I found out about the Philadelphia Pen Show. I've never been to a pen show either. I made my way up on a morning that was a brisk change from the unseasonably warm weather we've been having lately.

I budgeted about three hours or so to check out every table and maybe even have a second go after narrowing down a few potential takers. Near the end of two hours I stumbled across the small but well-stocked tables of Mr. John Colton! Several of the more swarmy dealers had already put me off. I don't care how nice your Duofold Lapis and 80s Pelikan m800s are, I don't like greasy sales! Mr. Colton was a pleasant, kind and gentle man. He clearly cares about what he sells and stands by his pens. His prices were also very, very fair. I ended up with a great deal on my first Omas! I never thought an Italian could take me away from my Pelikan and Teutonic collecting passions -- but I've flirted with the Italians before.

Mr. Colton had a 'black pen special,' and after holding it my hands and being pleasantly surprised by the very, very smoooooth BB nib (!) on this Milord old-style I knew I had to have it. I'm glad I did and I can't wait for my Italians, especially Omas to join! A nice old-style 360?

I too appreciated Mr. Colton's understated but professional style, reminiscent of the old, knowledgeable, but unflashy used booksellers of yore, consigned now to antiquity. A charming fellow.

Let's add some more praise for Mr. Colton.

I was talking to Bert Oser and Mr. Colton's table was next to his.

I love Omas pens and asked Mr. Colton if he had any pens with BB nibs. He was looking for one and came across a Milord with an OBB nib! He didn't have ink. He told me to leave him $100 and take the pen home and if I didn't like it that I should return it. Instead, I went to Brian Gray's table and dip tested the pen which I liked a lot.

In order to limit my purchases I brought one check and limited cash to the show. I had used the check. Mr Colton said that it would be alright to leave a deposit and send him a check for the remainder. So, I gave him $100 cash and he told me to send him a check when I got home.

He is a real gentleman, indeed.

100% agreed. I too had the same good experience with Mr. Colton. He had a full table of remarkable Omas pens. I bought an Omas society pen with an F nib from him. He is a very nice seller and a gentleman.

• 3 weeks later...

How I wish that we had something like that in Denmark! A pen show!!!

I would rather be in Philadelphia! (I think that's what W. C. Fields wanted written on his grave stone, by the way.)