Pilot Capless/vanishing Point

Tamlynn2210

Hi everyone,

I got into fountain pens around September and, since then, have built up a small collection of 'starter' pens such as Lamy Safaris and Al-Stars, Kaweco Classic Sports, OHTO Tasches and a Pilot MR.

I want my next pen to be a step up from these starter pens and I've been looking at the Pilot Capless/Vanishing Point. I'd like to know what everyone's opinion of it is. Is it a good next step?

I'm a teacher so it will mainly be used for notes. I understand the clip is in an awkward position for some people but I love the triangle grip on Lamy Safaris so will the clip be a problem for me?

Also, how smooth is the fine nib on the Pilot Capless/VP?

Thanks in advance 😊

Ashlene

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tamlynn2210

• warblerick

• Blue_Moon

• tomkeb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one (Blue carbonesque), and it is a nice pen. The clip position doesn't bother me, but I tried it in store before purchase. It writes very well, though I can't remember what size nib mine has (looks like maybe a Fine). The only downside for me is the converter holds very little ink, compared with a normal sized converter. Shouldn't be a problem for you if you're going to use cartridges, though then you will have to purchase proprietary Pilot carts.

These pens are fantastic. I too am a teacher and they are great for notes due to the time saved not having to remove a cap. The fine nibs on all of mine are very smooth and they are great writers.

Edited by Pensandinks

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

Hi Ashlene,

I can recommend the VP very much. I hesitated to buy one for some years and when I did, I was really happy about it. The rumors about the clip position, the size/weight (I carry my pens in my shirt pocket) and the small ink capacity made the decision difficult, but the pen has so many benefits that I love to use it.

Regarding your questions:

- I think it's good for a teacher, because you don't need to cap/uncap it every time; and as teacher you take a lot of short notes (I know from experience) - so the clicking mechanism saves you time and hassle; plus: the kids are in awe when they see a clickable fountain pen :-)

- the clip doesn't bother me at all; some are annoyed; you can't tell until you have tried. Buy at a retailer where you can try and/or return the pen

- I have decided to go for a M nib and it's very smooth, I've tried a F before deciding; that was smooth, too, but I preferred the size of the M

My suggestion: go for it; I've learned to love it and so might you.

Plus: it comes in so many finishes that you will find one that you like.

Greetings,

Michael

I've got a medium and love it. I bought it from a nibmeister, but the nib was scratchy and it skipped a little. I worked on it and now it's one of my favorite pens (if not my favorite).

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I love mine. It's from Richard Binder, who adjusts all the nibs on his VPs before shipping them. It's a F, and it's buttery-smooth and makes for lovely fine, lacy writing.

The grip is not comparable to a Lamy's, and you should really try one in a shop first: some people just don't get on with them.

I would suggest trying it out in a pen shop if you have one local that you can try. I personally really love mine and find it comfortable for even extended scribblings. My wife however, being an over-hook southpaw feels like it's not balanced for her. I bought mine from someone secondhand who didn't like the grip.

It is a great pen, very convenient. A very smooth writer. One of my favorite 2 or 3 pens. But I highly recommend trying one if you at all have the option. If not, make sure you have a return policy from wherever you buy it. (Also the matte vs chrome finish on the section may make a difference in grip)

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I own a black/gold VP I got from Goulet's. Has an F nib. Apart from the fairly easy to scratch metal nozzle and clip, I really like it. The ink capacity is pretty small though.

Had no problems with Tsuki-Yo, Carbon Black, or Kiwa-Guro that I've run through it.

Given the amount of metal in the cartridge/converter holder, might be a bit leery of IG's or some of the really acidic inks out there.

Now, if they could just put some higher ink capacity in there.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I have one with an EF nib, and I love it! :happy:
It is in my EDC most of the time.
The clip does not bother be at all, but as said by many it can be uncomfortable for some.

The ink capacity is enough with the EF nib, but nothing more than normal. So might feel a bit below average with wider nibs.

Edited by attika89

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have any shops nearby which stock the Capless but I think I will take the plunge and order one in matte black 😊

I have a Matte black VP in XF and it's still smooth. I will echo @SeeksAdvice in that it is easy to scratch/scuff up just from being in my pocket. I guess it's partly on me for putting it in my pocket with 1 other pen (metro) and keys (which are not lose, they're binded together to reduce their jingle). However, my Metro is fine.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have any shops nearby which stock the Capless but I think I will take the plunge and order one in matte black

Nibs.com will sell you a great pen. John Mottishaw, master nibmeister, will make sure your pen writes perfectly out of the box. He will continue to provide excellent service after the sale, also.

I have no affilitation to nibs.com or John Mottishaw.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I'm a teacher so it will mainly be used for notes. I understand the clip is in an awkward position for some people but I love the triangle grip on Lamy Safaris so will the clip be a problem for me?

Also, how smooth is the fine nib on the Pilot Capless/VP?

Honestly, I like the clip placement of the Pilot VP than the triangular grip of the Lamy Safari. I found the clip placement to be very very comfortable if you have the regular tripod grip. And considering that you find the Lamy Safari comfortable, I'm assuming you have the tripod grip, so you should have no problem at all!

The smoothness of the fine nib on the VP is absolutely gorgeous. It has the right amount of feedback so you can control your handwriting while still smooth smooth smooth. Can't emphasize how smooth it is..

A young Dr. who lives in my apartment building, asked for a Doctor's pen, and I suggested this one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My wife and I both have VPs (mine is M and hers is F), and both were purchased from Richard Binder as well. I can't speak highly enough about Richard's attention to detail and customer service--you will be impressed with the pens right out of the box. This is my wife's EDC and is always in her purse. I use mine in regular rotation. I'd give it more use, but it has one of the smallest ink capacities of the pens I own.

For the matte black price range, have you thought about looking into vintage pens or other styles of pens? For modern, you could look at a Sailor 1911 or a bit more for a Platinum #3776. For vintage, you could give in to one of the classics and buy your first Parker "51".

Buzz

I once was in position like you and ordered one <F> Capless from Hong Kong, the nib was scratching, making screeching sounds, dry, unusable. I tried different inks, washing it, nothing helped. I tried putting a razor between the tines and smoothing the nib with very fine sandpaper and I made it even worse. Finally, angrily trying to get it to write using different methods I destroyed the nib completely. (Yes, I was an idiot, but at that time I didn't know about anyone who could repair the nib in Europe.)

I didn't want to give up, since I dreamed of this pen for a very long time: I bought a new nib unit in a local pen shop (almost for the price of the whole pen + nib from HK), tried it in the store – finally I have gotten my Capless to write.

However, even with the tested nib I am not very fond of its writing, the stainless steel nibs of MR/Prera feel much better to me. I think this is common among the interviews – not a lot of people rate the nib as 'very good' or even 'exceptional' out of the box. If I were you, I would definitely think about having the nib tuned, since you are in Europe, there is a FPN member in the UK who could do that… The expenses of having a tuned VP from the US would be immense.

Another thing you should consider, if you're looking after the black matte variant, is the durability of the finish.

Edited by tomkeb

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

I got my Decimo in the UK from The Writing Desk. Just around Christmas time.

It was a broad nib, and it wrote extremely smoothly and well.

I'm waiting for it come back with increased wetness, but that's only because Martin told me that if had any issues at all with the degree of wetness that I return it for a bit of an adjustment, and I wanted just a little more juice. And it was really a minor matter. The pen was very good as first delivered.

These pens are great if you get them from a proper shop like TWD with a policy of pleasing their customers.

I had a VP with a medium nib. It's the only pen I've ever used that was so smooth it squeaked on paper (not all the time, but not infrequently either).

I would absolutely recommend it. Glad you have one on the way. I hope you enjoy it!

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)